News:

• October 25, 2024, 04:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: what lithium ion battery areyou using to build your 6 cell packs?  (Read 8465 times)

Offline Donald R Olson

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
I'm trying to research the best lithium ion batteries to build 6 cell packs for stunt. I've done some research on the spot welder and think I've got a good candidate. But before buying the welder I want to know what the consensus is for Brand, mAh, Amp requirements, C rate, etc. I know that this has been worked out by others flying stunt and I hope for some good advice before I waste too much money doing it trial and error. Please let me know what works best for those of you who know this far better than me. Thanks

Offline Donald R Olson

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
Re: what lithium ion battery areyou using to build your 6 cell packs?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2024, 01:27:53 PM »
Maybe a little more on the power systems are in order. I plan to use these packs in planes that have either a BadAss 2826 820 kv, and a twin set up, of two Badass 2614 870kv. I also will want to use them on a plane with an Eflight 40 size equivalent not sure of the spec on it. The twin has 2 35 amp Castle Talon ECSs on the others I use Castle Talon 60 amp ECSs. For timers I Fiorotti timmer on the twin as well as a couple other planes. But I also use the Climb and Dive timer. I'm really wanting to phase out the Lipos and move to the 18650s. But to blindly buy cells based on some pretty iffy specs listed on Amazon is scarry. So I'm hoping for some guidance.

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Donald R Olson

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2024, 07:53:34 PM »
Thanks Dave. Gives me peace of mind to be starting with a battery that has been used with success in a stunter. I'm going to give it a shot. If I run into trouble do you mind if I ask a question or two?

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2024, 08:06:26 PM »
I agree with Dave the Molicel p28a work well . If you can get the B version even better. The Epoch (p28B) also works great. It is just a re-wrap so it is the same cell. DO NOT buy these from Amazon or EBAY. Buy from where Dave suggested. There are counterfeits out there and they WILL NOT work!!! I have not tried any other brands. These work I have used them all.
AMA 98010

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2024, 09:45:19 PM »
Here's some helpful info for your building adventure.
I like building 6S packs with these multi-colored 7-pin, 30cm leads.  Makes keeping track of the node easier during building.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802541584299.html
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Donald R Olson

• 23 supporter
  • Ensign
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2024, 01:02:54 PM »
Thanks Dave, William, and Brent.
 I ordered 12 of the Molicel 35A 2800mearMolicel 35A 2800mah cellsah cells.  Shipping was fast. Got them in 3 days. I also got my spot welder. I bought it from Amazon. It is this model:  Seesii Dual Farad Spot Welder, 25 Gears Adjustable 3000F Capacitor Battery Spot Welder with 1.8'' LCD Display, Portable Spot Welder for 0.1-0.3mm Nickel Strip Welding for Battery Pack Making. I paid 154.00. Now I looked and the price went up to 169.00 in 3 days. I also got some .02x10x35mm nickel tabs. The welder worked great. It welded the tabs very secure at a little less than ½ power. Setting was 11 gears out of 25. Some of the reviews said it wouldn’t do 0.3 so I didn’t order any. It looks to me that it would weld 0.3 with no problem. According to the chart I found 0.2 nickel is a little close to the max amp rating. I would prefer to use 0.3 nickel. For now, I can double the 0.2, but I’m not sure that’s necessary. Made up the first pack and it worked better than I expected.  Very happy with this so far. The cells were on sale at $3.55 each. Went back for 12 more but they were sold out, I should have bought them up front.
Brent thanks for the link. I have some ribbon wire and crimps to make up the balance cables. I have a ton of it I got for upgrading my 3D printer. Those crimps are such a PITA. I think it’s about a 2 to1 failure rate at getting that tiny wire satisfactorily crimped and secured in the plug. At 2.50 each that is worth not having to make them up from scratch. If you are spot welding your packs, what size nickel strip do you use?
Thanks again. It was a lot easier to do than I expected. Your input has helped greatly.  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags: