News:

• April 16, 2024, 07:53:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mini Solar Station  (Read 934 times)

Offline Motorman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Mini Solar Station
« on: July 09, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 04:05:59 PM by Motorman »

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Mini Solar Station
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
A 12v 25 W solar panel will supply about 2 amps @ 12 volts if you have bright sun.  A 6s battery needs 25V or more to charge.  So the available charging current would be 1 amp or less.  It would only work if you used it with a deep cycle battery.  You could then long term charge the deep cycle battery and use the deep cycle battery to fast charge the 6S battery.  A better solution is an inverter  generator.  The are small, quiet, and powerful.   a 1500 W runs about $500.  It is also handy to have if your home power goes out.  won't run the home air but will run the frig and some lights.

https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Westinghouse-WH2200IXLT-Portable-Generator/p82292.html

If you can stand more noise and put up with a 2 cycle rig this one is cheep.

https://www.harborfreight.com/900-max-starting700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-generator-epacarb-63025.html

It doesn't have a 12V output so your charger needs to run off of 115v AC.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2019, 03:27:49 PM »
This is going to be a bit engineerish, my apologies.  Allow me to lay out some facts that we can work with:

• That 25W rating is for perfect conditions -- in other words, a sunny day at noon with the thing pointed perfectly at the sun.
  • If you have a 64 ounce airplane, it'll use about 45 Watt-hours (W-h, about 135kJ) of energy.
  • The battery itself is only about 88% energy efficient in charge/discharge.  So you need to put about 51W-h into the battery
  • Your battery charger is probably about 85% efficient, so you need to put about 60W-h into the charger

So if you're just going to haul that panel to the field and charge a battery with it, it'll take about 2 1/2 hours, at noon on a cloudless summer day.  Basically, I think that it's woefully inadequate, unless you could have it on the roof of a shed charging batteries all week so that you could go fly on the weekends.

I would search on "off grid solar power" and do some studying.  It looks like Home Depot has stuff, so I suspect that Lowes and other such places do, too.  They'll know all the stuff that I don't about choosing the right charge management controller for the deep-discharge batteries, and how many batteries and panels to get.  They'd also be much more likely to sell you something that'll actually last.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 05:40:59 PM »
Wouldn't it be easier to just take extra, fully charged batteries??  I usually take 6 with me, in a special protective bag designed for LiPo battery's. D>K

Possibly, but that wasn't the question!

I think that if I were a member of an active club with a lot of people who flew 'lectric, and there was no power to the field, and we could control access to the equipment, then I'd propose an off-grid charging station.  Then I'd go with the will of the club.  But if it were just me and an empty flying field, I'd show up with lots-o-batteries, or a fistful of batteries and a charger I could connect to my car.

I think it only makes sense if the club already has a shed on site for some reason (like to hold a mower).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 07:58:52 PM »
I think that the purpose of having one or some deep cycle batteries is to get around the standing and waiting.  Hopefully the solar panel will keep the storage batteries charged (except during use)and then you have those watts to use for your charger and batteries with inefficiencies included.  The number of deep cells to be determined by use.  In general, you would still charge at home and then recharge or top off at the field.  You have already seen it in action and know that it works, so it comes down to price, and adjusting to number of users.

I don't have experience with the system, but your link shows most of the pieces needed.  A generator is a good alternative as noted.

For your own use, you can charge and top off using old 6 cell packs to run the charger.  Using 3 or 4 packs in parallel of 6s keeps the draw rate low, and the packs may go another hundred cycles of soft use after retired from flying.
Fred

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 09:05:22 PM »
No one is noticing the size? 40x13.625in for this "MINI" panel. I charge 100W per channel X4 so I need 16 of these "MINI" panels to charge normally at 70$ each. Are you kidding?  LL~
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline katana

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:02:18 AM »
My problem with the 'linked to' panel is the poor efficiency of the thing - 25w out of 525 sq ins! A regular PV panel is about 2525 sq ins and produces 275-300w (0.3KwP roughly) so the little one is only producing about a 1/3rd the power if pro rata basis! The full size panels aren't that spendy these days - $150 + a 12v battery to even out the feed to the charger? Yes, its a pain to lug around but it is 'free energy'! You could always buy a Tesla Roadster and just plug in to the ciggy lighter socket LOL!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 07:08:44 AM »
A solar panel charging station makes sense if it is a club effort and a permanent setup at the flying sight.  If this is not possible  4 to 6 batteries charged at home works for me.  If I did have a need to charge a lot at the field I would go with an inverter generator.   PS a charging station at the field has the possibility of vandalism and theft.  >:(
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here