News:

• March 28, 2024, 04:34:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What is everyone using for a charger?  (Read 1120 times)

Offline James H. Dean

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
What is everyone using for a charger?
« on: August 30, 2020, 07:33:15 PM »
Looking to buy a charger as i am converting a few of my fleet to electric.  Just wanted to see what battwry charger the stunt guys are using.  Pros and cons and what I should stay away from.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
Re: What is everyone using for a charger?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2020, 07:55:06 PM »
Will you need to charge different battery cell series at the same time?  Will you fly different size planes on the same day, so say 4S packs and 6S packs?  Competitive or sport fly?  Are you willing to buy a good charger (not cheap) up front?  Are you around others flying electric who can help?  Those answers will help you to get better answers.  It is easy for each of us to say what we use, but that may not help.
Fred

Offline James H. Dean

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 08:17:04 PM »
More on the competive sign...mostly will just be me flying one maybe 2 different planes during a session. Most likely they will be using same cell size batteries.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 09:43:33 PM »
My preference is the FMA CellPro PL8 or PL6.  The older versions are not digital screen and are fine.  They are powerful and versatile and have many features not available on other brands.  You can parallel charge batteries of the same cell series at the same time with a parallel board.  Features and specs noted in the link below.  They may be in short supply right now, as I see "back ordered" noted.

https://www.progressiverc.com/fma-powerlab-8.html

That said, many prefer a quad charger which is basically four charger in one housing as MM suggested.  You can charge 4 batteries of same or different cell counts at the same time.

I prefer an external power supply for more power.  You can find instructions to convert computer server power supplies to inexpensive powerful units, and some on the forum will make and sell them.
Fred

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:02:30 PM »
https://www.thunderpowerrc.com/collections/chargers/products/thunder-power-rc-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-charger-tp4x610hv

Bamm end thread.

Seriously, get a charger with a built in power supply.

Motorman 8)
I have one of these.  It is great!  Charges 4 at a time.  However all 4 batteries can be different.  I use a lot of 4 cell and some 3 cell batteries.  Can charge a mix at the same time.  Also will charge battery types other than LiPo.  I got mine on sale and I love it.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dwayne Donnelly

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • Balsa Beavers Toronto Canada
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 06:24:09 AM »
https://www.thunderpowerrc.com/collections/chargers/products/thunder-power-rc-quad-4-x-100w-ac-dc-charger-tp4x610hv

Bamm end thread.

Seriously, get a charger with a built in power supply.

Motorman 8)

When I first started flying electric (RC) a club member was selling 40 amp 12 volt power supplies for 40 bucks so that's the route I went, in hind sight if I had to do it again a built in power supply would be the way to go, less stuff to carry around.
My purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:04:26 AM »
Charger type and cost is determined by your goals and needs.

If you want a simple self contained charging system, then the x4 type chargers are fine.  If you want more features and faster charging then you will be happier with a more expensive Powerlab 8 and a 24v power supply .

I wanted all the features and speed, and importantly, I didn't want to waste my money purchasing several lesser chargers only to end up buying a powerlab type system, so I just invested in the necessary hardware once.  I purchased a Powerlab 8 charger, 2x HP server power supplies for 24v, and a MPA 6 position paraboard. 

It's awesome!  I can charge 4 6s2800 batteries in 27 minutes.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:25:35 AM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 11:43:28 AM »
I'm using an ICharger 306B with a PRC500 Power Supply. Works for me.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline TDM

• Captain
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 05:18:36 PM »
6s is 25.2v, so 40 amp* or 10 amp/per.  About 3.5C rate, so 20 minutes is about 1C of charge or a full battery from 20%.  He may have meant from storage, so far less amps needed.  Chargers are amperage limited on input and output, and wattage limited.  PL8 is 1344 watts at >26v input and only 612 W at 12 v.  Of course the time will be affected by taper off charge. 

4 x 6s (25.2V) x 2.8 ( or your 1C number) is 282W is I calculate correctly.  Chargers are not 100% efficient, so allow 300W, but should be easily doable.  I can't make sense of your numbers, but check my calculations.

*I don't remember, but don't think that you can hit a full 40 amp with that battery load.
Fred

Offline Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
What settings do you use, do you charge all 4 at once. I don't see how that's possible with 1344w. I tried that on my 306b (1000w) 24v with 4 6s at 1C and it did a safety cut off.

Motorman 8)

Yes, I charge all 4 6s2800 batteries at once, from the post flight discharge level to fully charged in well under 30min.   This is quite handy at the field!
My doubled up server power supply can provide 24-volts, 47-amps and 1150-watts.

I have attached the Powerlab 8 settings that were kindly shared with me by Chris Cox and Alan Resinger.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 11:04:21 PM by Brent Williams »
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline Neil Rogers

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 10:36:36 PM »
I have a Powerlab 8 charger and power supply made with 2 server power supplies.  The power supply provides 24V and 70A.  I charge 6 5s 2800 batteries at the same time.

Chris Cox, Alan Resinger, and Paul Walker told me what to buy and I listened to them.

Online Dennis Nunes

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2020, 01:35:20 AM »
I too have a PowerLab 8 charger with a 24V power supply built from two server power supplies along with a ProgressivRC Multi-Port Safe Parallel Board . I wrote an article for the Valley Circle Burner's NAG Newsletter on putting my Charging System together and building a 24V power supply. PM me with your email address and I can send it to you.

Dennis
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 02:05:16 AM by Dennis Nunes »

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 09:25:45 AM »
As most here know, I've written plenty on this already. My preference  is the powerlab 8's and the server supplies. Others here use different but still quality stuff. Everyone's needs are different. I would not go with a cheep setup. Everything mentioned above is good stuff.
AMA 98010

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 11:57:15 AM »
I put a system together: CellPro PowerLab 8, 24 volt, 72 amp power supply (2 - 12V connected in series), with a  6 port MPA.  Works great.  Well worth the investment.  I often use it at events with a generator as a charging station for participants.
Jim Vigani

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »
My system is similar, and works great at home and for travel to contests.
Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »
5 amp/pack (20 amp charger output) so a little under 2C.  The settings shown are per pack, and when inputting information to charge, you enter the number of parallel packs and the charger does the rest.  The readouts at the charger are then per pack.

Some chargers have you do the math and you treat the parallel packs as one large pack.  In that case you would have "one large pack" at 20 amps charge rate. 
Fred

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here