News:

• May 03, 2024, 09:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are your connections?  (Read 1647 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What are your connections?
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:21 PM »
Need some info from the group - nothing earth shaking, just an inquiry - call it a survey if you must:

1. Are using bullet connectors (what size?) in the ESC-to-motor connection or are you soldering the motor wires directly to the ESC?

2. On the battery side, what connector do you use?

3. Are you using an external safety wire or connector?  If so please describe your set-up.

My answers:
1. I am using 3.5 mm bullets on the ESC to Motor conncection, except recently where I used 4mm bullets because that's what came on the motor. 

2. I a using Deans plugs on the battery connection, I may try some of the "gendered" bullet connectors (don't know what they are called)

3.  I have a 3.5mm external connection on 1 ESC wire.  After I plug in the battery and close the hatch, I arm the system just before launch with the external wire.  On Profiles I do not use a safety wire because the battery to esc conncetion is exposed.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: What are your connections?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:53:03 PM »
Need some info from the group - nothing earth shaking, just an inquiry - call it a survey if you must:

1. Are using bullet connectors (what size?) in the ESC-to-motor connection or are you soldering the motor wires directly to the ESC?

2. On the battery side, what connector do you use?

3. Are you using an external safety wire or connector?  If so please describe your set-up.

My answers:
1. I am using 3.5 mm bullets on the ESC to Motor conncection, except recently where I used 4mm bullets because that's what came on the motor. 

2. I a using Deans plugs on the battery connection, I may try some of the "gendered" bullet connectors (don't know what they are called)

3.  I have a 3.5mm external connection on 1 ESC wire.  After I plug in the battery and close the hatch, I arm the system just before launch with the external wire.  On Profiles I do not use a safety wire because the battery to esc conncetion is exposed.

We have or have had 7 or 8 different electrics flying this year.
On all of our sport/stunt setups (except the '1/2e') we use:

1 - 3.5 mm. bullets
2 - Most of us use Anderson Power Poles - 0ne has Deans
3 - All except one are profiles, none use an "arming" device but we are
     in the habit of not plugging in the battery until we are on the circle
     and otherwise all ready to fly.  The full-fuse is fairly new, and has
     only been flown at one session and just plugging in the battery and
     getting the plane set down is a two man job that resembles starting
     a flooded engine by turning the plane on its back to access the
     plugs and timer.

On the electric carrier planes, Pete Mazur and a couple of others have
buried connectors and do use an external arming plug or wire - mine
have the connections exposed and easily accessible so it is unnecessary.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 01:46:46 AM »
On my motor to ESC connections I use either 3.5 bullet or the new 2.5 Scorpion connectors.  On the battery side I use EC3 connectors.  I haven't used a arming plug yet.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:02:11 AM »
Dennis,
I have everything the same, 3.5 bullets between the motor and ESC, Dean's on all batteries, and on the SV 11 I use a double male 4mm arming wire,which you've seen and has been well described in my thread. No arming devices on my profiles like everybody else here.
AMA 98010

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 08:06:34 AM »
I use 3.5mm bullets on motor-ESC (some are the old "springy" style, one (eVector) is the new Scorpion style (which is like the MPJet or the CC bullets).

Batteries I use Deans.

For my Nobler and eVector, I have an arming plug, which allows me to calmly (!) put in a charged battery anytime before the flight, and then I plug it in just before signaling the judges and pushing the timer start button.

On the Nobler I did this with Deans connectors put into the positive ESC lead to the battery. On the e-Vector I stole someone else's idea. I simply cut the positive ESC lead and installed a bullet pair. The two leads come our the inboard side of the fuse, and I just plug them together to arm the system. I include a photo.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:15:57 AM »
Anderson Power Pole for the battery/ESC and the 3.5mm bullet style to the motor/ESC. I have a side mounted miniature toggle switch to turn on the timer.

The Panther has a top hatch with a single hold down screw. I normally leave the battery disconnected. To fly, I connect the battery, then put on the hatch, screw it down, then signal the judge, turn on the timer switch and walk to the center. I have 15 sec programmed delay till the motor starts.

My reason for using the Andersons is that I had a bunch of them. Will likely go to Deans style for the next airplane, mainly to reduce size/weight. The Andersons have been excellent from a connection standpoint.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 03:30:08 PM »
My two electrics are profile Ringmasters.

1) bullet 3.5 or 2.5 for ESC to motor (depending on the motor I am using)

2) Deans for the batteries

3) no safety connector on these profiles
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 10:24:18 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures of some new connectors that I got from Hobby City. These are intended for the Proctor Jenny, which has a Turnigy SK 5065 1850 W motor and 6S 5000mAh battery. These are 4mm bullet type connectors in a polarized shell.

Also a picture of some Dean's style connectors that Hobby City threw in the box as a free sample. They have a nice fit/feel when mated and the ribs give a good grip when separating them.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »
John:
GOOD STUFF!

I have been using their Deans clones with the finder grips for awhile now.  I really like them, except I wihs they were easier to solder to - like the bullets.

I like the bullets in the polarized shell but have not tried them yet.  I believe Igor Burger is using bullets, cross-gendered but NOT in that other shell.

Thanks for info...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 02:11:14 PM »
pretty much the standard 3.5 bullets on the esc,, and I swear by the anderson Power poles on the battery side. I use them on my electric RC stuff too,, oh crap now yo know I fly RC, HB~> sigh,, well its Pylon racing so that makes it ok right?   n~
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 05:43:39 PM »
I really like them, except I wish they were easier to solder to - like the bullets.

Dennis, I have been using some little "gizmos" for my deans plug soldering. They are a small cylinder which has a hole in one end and a slot at the other end. The slot end fits snuggly over the deans solder prong and the tinned wire is simply soldered into the cylinder at the other end. I think I found them at RC Dude but I would not swear to that. Anyway, you can fabricate you own by using a small length of brass or copper tubing. Cut a slot to fit over the deans prong in the end with a saw or Dremel cutoff wheel and cut it off to an appropriate length. I use two different temperature solders --- high temp for the slot to prong connection and low for the wire to cylinder/tubing connection. Heat shrink tubing will slide over the connection and make a neat setup.

9/7/2009 update:  R/C Dude was the vendor -- they are called "Deans Solder Couplers"

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:15:44 AM by John Cralley »
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
Bump
John Cralley
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »
I like the bullets in the polarized shell but have not tried them yet.  I believe Igor Burger is using bullets, cross-gendered but NOT in that other shell.

I use MPJet connectors 2,5mm like you can see on pictures - the advantage is that they have several conracts, but contact is NOT the spring material, they have very low resistance and has good properties also dirty (unlike deans having only one slot)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here