News:

• April 19, 2024, 02:44:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What are the rules for sport flying?  (Read 625 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
What are the rules for sport flying?
« on: August 06, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
I fly at our club sight and I fly at a local ballpark parking lot.  What AMA rules cover this activity?  The Control Line, General  rules state: RULES GOVERNING MODEL AVIATION COMPETITION IN THE UNITED STATES.  So if not flying competition what rules apply.   I am asking because I have explored the possibility of using 433mhz as a START/STOP function.  My intent is to use it for sport flying only.  Of course AMA insurance is the issue and safety rules apply.  If not used in competition what and where are the rules that would prohibit it's use.     At this point I am thinking a competition rule change is unnecessary for using 433mhz during sport flying.

What say you   ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What are the rules for sport flying?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 03:41:00 PM »
I fly at our club sight and I fly at a local ballpark parking lot.  What AMA rules cover this activity?  The Control Line, General  rules state: RULES GOVERNING MODEL AVIATION COMPETITION IN THE UNITED STATES.  So if not flying competition what rules apply.   I am asking because I have explored the possibility of using 433mhz as a START/STOP function.  My intent is to use it for sport flying only.  Of course AMA insurance is the issue and safety rules apply.  If not used in competition what and where are the rules that would prohibit it's use.     At this point I am thinking a competition rule change is unnecessary for using 433mhz during sport flying.

What say you   ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
Nothing that I know of would prevent it.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 06:14:31 AM »
AMA's Safety code is supposed to be "the bible" for sport flying. For Control Line it used to (my perhaps bad memory) refer to the Stunt competition rules, but now  I found this:

"I will fly Free Flight (FF) and Control Line (CL) models in compliance with AMA’s safety
programming."

I have NO IDEA what "AMA’s safety programming." means! Anybody know?
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2020, 06:35:17 AM »
From AMA's document "AMA Safety Handbook" found at https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/documents/100.pdf

"CONTROL LINE

Prior to flying, inspect and pull-test your complete control system, including the safety thong where applicable. The pull test will be in accordance with the current Competition Regulations for the applicable model aircraft category. Model aircraft that don’t fit a specific category will use the Control Line Precision Aerobatics pull-test requirements. The flying area must be clear of all utility wires or poles. Nonessential participants and spectators must be out of the flying area before any engine is started. Model aircraft will not be flown closer than 50 feet to any above-ground electric utility lines."
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here