News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:54:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Warning ..... Hobby King Problem  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Warning ..... Hobby King Problem
« on: February 03, 2011, 12:05:16 AM »
Some of you may want to read the new "Warning"  topic over in the open forum RE: Hobby King problem.

If this post is real, then this may be bad news for those of you who like to use their inexpensive stuff.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
Re: Warning ..... Hobby King Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 06:39:44 AM »
Yes, that's a bumma!

I only use PayPal and have a VISA Debit Card account just for Paypal and other online transactions. I haven't given PayPal an alternative bank account number and always transfer into this account just enough funds to do the sale.
There are far too many scams around now to not do this.  >:(
Bandolero

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
I use PayPal only for my online purchases regardless of who or where they are.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 11:23:42 AM »
I cannot figure out how buying from Hobbyking gave thieves access to a checking account?  From what I see, their only payment options are:

-()-      VISA / MASTERCARD (No Paypal) + 1%
   -()-      Paypal or Credit Card (Amex / Visa / Mastercard)
   -()-      Cashoo Credit Card Gateway (No Paypal) + 2%

That is all that shows up when I check out.  I don't see anyplace to put in bank account numbers.  There is the possibility of using an e-check while on Paypal (I think) but all that would be done on Paypal's secure site, when you actually go to Paypal's site to authorize the payment.  Don't know anything about the "Cashoo Credit Card Gateway" either.

I certainly don't dispute that the poster was robbed, but I am trying to understand how.  Am I missing something?
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:42:41 AM »
I cannot figure out how buying from Hobbyking gave thieves access to a checking account?  From what I see, their only payment options are:

-()-      VISA / MASTERCARD (No Paypal) + 1%
   -()-      Paypal or Credit Card (Amex / Visa / Mastercard)
   -()-      Cashoo Credit Card Gateway (No Paypal) + 2%

That is all that shows up when I check out.  I don't see anyplace to put in bank account numbers.  There is the possibility of using an e-check while on Paypal (I think) but all that would be done on Paypal's secure site, when you actually go to Paypal's site to authorize the payment.  Don't know anything about the "Cashoo Credit Card Gateway" either.

I certainly don't dispute that the poster was robbed, but I am trying to understand how.  Am I missing something?

You can have a MASTER CARD or VISA linked to your Bank Account

Randy

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:39 PM »
Yes, Randy's right.
PayPal has different ways to pay.
They can have your back account numbers and that's where the payment comes from, or you can only have your credit card on file, like I do.
They don't even have my bank account details.
Bandolero

Offline Jose Luis Oterino

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
Hi guys...
I have buy on many times in the Hobby King, and I've never had any problems....but I have always paid by Pay Pal.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 09:09:45 PM »
As far as I can see from the post, it is not totally clear that Donald's bank account was hacked via Hobby King. I had my credit card hacked by an outfit in Bulgaria which could never be pinned down but there was speculation that it was from my Amazon/PayPal/who knows? account. The point is that just because his bank account was drained from China, it does not mean that Hobby King was the source. If I had recently purchased something from a vendor in Bulgaria I might well have blamed that vendor for leaking my credit card data. The time proximity between the purchase and the bank draining does sound suspicious but it could be coincidence. I think we need to hear more from Donald before we are certain of what happened and assign blame.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 10:17:49 PM »
As I stated on that post I only use paypal or a prepaid credit card from Money Mart, I've never had a problem. I just ordered some stuff from Hobby King for the first time we'll see how it goes.

Offline Kerry Ewart

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 11:45:27 PM »
Ordered 2 battries frm hobby king (australia)on the saturday night recieved them wednesdays post ,Cannot complain about that for service
"If you cannot beat them!JOIN THEM.

Dwayne

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 06:21:56 PM »
Ordered 2 battries frm hobby king (australia)on the saturday night recieved them wednesdays post ,Cannot complain about that for service

Got my order no problem as well.

Offline Chris_Burgess

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »
I've ordered lots from Hobby King and never had a problem, and I've never used paypal.  I always just enter my credit card... However, I refuse to use my primary bank card for purchases fraud on a credit card can be a pain but the interest is far less than the cost of an overdraft if my bank acct is overdrawn... in the event that there is an issue a non-essential credit card is easier to dispose of and resolve than a bank acct that bills and such may be coming out of.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here