News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:43:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vintage Soldering Gun – Weller Junior  (Read 1084 times)

Online Jim Hoffman

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Vintage Soldering Gun – Weller Junior
« on: November 24, 2021, 05:48:04 AM »
I enjoy the benefits of modern electronics, but I prefer to use the soldering equipment of yesteryear. 

About 15 years ago I received this Weller Junior soldering gun from my father-in-law.   The Weller gun is better made and works better than any of the many I’ve owned over the decades. The electrical cord is still supple and the gun works perfectly and generates enough heat for any job I’ve done.

I am eternally grateful to own this fabulous tool.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vintage Soldering Gun – Weller Junior
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 06:18:45 AM »
Jim.
I totally agree the Weller brand is top quality. I have two a smaller 140/100 and a newer 280/200. Although the 140/100 was adequate for most things (I had this for over 30 years) I got the higher power one a couple years ago and it makes tank building much easier. One thing I realized only a couple years ago is the trigger works with the high output on the first click and the low output when you squeeze it all the way back (should have taken the time to read the instruction 30 years ago).

I don't understand the reasoning I guess since they were developed for fast electronic work the lower power was used most so that's the way they set the trigger up. Weller also made an even higher power one with a single straight tip model (GT7A) that was more like an iron, my former flying buddy Roy Trantham had one and it was almost too hot for most small jobs.

All the Weller soldering guns are great, high quality and last a long time.

Best,    DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 02:33:01 PM »
One thing I realized only a couple years ago is the trigger works with the high output on the first click and the low output when you squeeze it all the way back (should have taken the time to read the instruction 30 years ago).

Me, too.  I read it here.

I insist on maximum authenticity for my vintage models, so I use a pre-1953 soldering iron to install the active timer in my LiPo-powered, Monokote-covered old timer.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 06:17:25 PM »
  I just could never get used to a soldering gun. To heavy and awkward to use with the pistol grip. I have standard soldering irons. I do have one of those old irons with the big broad tip. HAs a nice, cloth insulated cord. The last thing I used it on was to repair a friends honey settling tank. It had a leak in a factory solder joint, and they sent him the solder and flux to repair it. 100% tin solder and food grade flux of some kind. The only thing I had that would get hot enough was that old iron, but that was just the thing and probably what they used to assemble it. I haven't worked on anything since to try it out .
  HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Mark wood

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
  • I'm here purely for the fun of it.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »
Last weekend we drove up to Concordia to visit the orphan train museum there. The wife loves to shop antiques and I won't deny my own interest. This guy had one of the best walk around and see cool old stuff shops around. He had an old Weller 240 gun for $8 in the box it came in and in good condition. The Chinese made knockoff just don't have the same quality. Mine has been gone for years but I still have a couple new tips. Score... Also as good he had a pair of old new pinking shears for $2.

Life is good AMA 1488
Why do we fly? We are practicing, you might say, what it means to be alive...  -Richard Bach
“Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” – Richard P. Feynman

Offline Robert Whitley

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »
I got my Weller in 1973 and it shows no sign of slowing down.
Don’t know how good or bad the new ones are since I’ve had no need of a replacement.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2021, 04:41:34 PM »
Me, too.  I read it here.

I insist on maximum authenticity for my vintage models, so I use a pre-1953 soldering iron to install the active timer in my LiPo-powered, Monokote-covered old timer.

H^^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2021, 10:28:05 PM »
Don't really like soldering guns for electronic work.  To do it right you need a temperature controlled soldering station.  What looks to be a good one at a reasonable price is the MPJA's ZD-929C.  https://www.mpja.com/Solder-Station-with-LED-Display-ZD-929C/productinfo/15845+TL/#reviews.  Haven't used one but it looks good.  Santa may bring me one.   what I have used for years is the MPJA ZD-99.  https://www.mpja.com/Mini-Solder-Station-ZD-99/productinfo/15860+TL/  It is really cheep but works.  Not temperature controlled but it has a temperature adjust knob.  With years of soldering experience with it I have learned how to adjust it.  While working as an electronic engineer I used soldering stations that cost big $$$$.  So I got spoiled. At one time, at home, I was building and selling a servo tester called the Pit Stop Radio.  This was back before you could buy one on Ebay for under $10.  At that time I started using soldering stations similar to the MPJA's ZD-99.  Eventually I found and started to use the MPJA ZD-99.   Anyway I am not bad mouthing soldering guns.  They are great for making metal tanks.  And  also do a good job on big wires.  However for most of the soldering needed to setup an electric airplane a temperature controlled soldering station is the way to go. Just my opinion on the subject from my over 60 years of experience of soldering electronic stuff.   D>K

PS Don't own a soldering gun.  Used to have one but when it died I didn't see the need to replace it.  What really drove me nuts, if doing a lot of soldering you have to wait for it heat up for every solder joint. Also it was big, heavy and clumsy.

PSS I also have and use a third hand soldering aid.  https://www.mpja.com/Helping-Hands-with-35in-Lens-Large-Base/productinfo/16037+TL/
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2021, 09:38:40 AM »
Just placed a MPJA's ZD-929C soldering station on order.  Santa is good to me this year!   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here