News:

• April 23, 2024, 04:55:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Very long charging time  (Read 2519 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Very long charging time
« on: July 17, 2017, 04:52:08 PM »
Hello,
I have four Zippy 4S, 3,000 mAh batteries.
Each one was used about twenty times and was never discharged below 14.8 no load volts and above 80% of nominal capacity.

From the beginning, each battery takes about 1.5-2 hours to charge from storage 3.8 V to the fully charged state.
I am charging at 1C using the computerized charger that does not allow for any form of accidental batteries abuse like overcharging, overdischarging, too high charge or discharge rate, wrong polarity etc. 1C is 3 Amps. so, even with charging losses reaching 20%, each battery should charge in about 1.2 hours.

The batteries do not show any signs of dying like swelling or/and getting very warm while being charged or immediately after flights.

Perhaps Zippy batteries, being of mediocre quality, simply are like that.
Perhaps...something else.

Thanks,
Matt

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Very long charging time
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 04:57:58 PM »
Are you balance charging the batteries?
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 08:19:39 PM »
Watch your charger taper off at the end of charge.  The charge toward the end tapers from your chosen charge rate to a rate of C/5 -  C/40, depending on the charger and your choices.  That portion of finish charging is slow.  If you choose C/5 or C/10, finish is faster than tapering to C/20, the basic setting of many.  If you choose to stop at C/5 you get a bit less charge or amps into the pack.  As long as you are having over 20% remaining amps after flying, you can try changing the finish number for a quicker finish.  And yes, balancing can slow the charge especially if the cells are any out of balance.  Most Batteries claim that it is ok to charge faster then 1C.  I use 1C unless I am in a hurry, and then I may use 1.5 - 2C.  Others may go higher.

If you use a voltage tester, the voltage after C/5 may be a little less than 4.2V.
Fred

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 04:11:09 AM »
Chris,
Yes...I balance charge them.

Fred,
My charger does not display the default charge during tapering so I do not know the value of it.
It is possible that I simply could not find this information yet scrolling the menu options.

The manual is written in Chinglish with missing and distorted words, some sentences are incomprehensible or may have multiple meanings and grammatical and logical errors are plentiful. Pure fun for some language detective.

I have found the C/5 option on my charger. This option is not programmable. There is only C/5 rate available and it is called "Fast Charge".
I will use this option today after flying and will report the results.

Thank you,
M

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 09:17:09 AM »
Basically, balance charging takes a while, and the more out of balance your cells are, the longer it's going to take.
What i do, is to make an adapter where i can access the individual cells. I charge them individually initially. Then they are,  or should be balanced.
The higher quality batteries have cells selected that are naturally balanced, and because of that,  will take less time to balance charge. That's a separate process,  so it costs more  to make packs.
If you want to field charge packs for a second flight of the day,  I'd skip the balance charge and just do a fast charge to the proper 4s voltage.
Kind regards,
Chris
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:48:02 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 09:49:32 PM by Motorman »

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 11:44:36 AM »
Good find Matt.  I have an older charger that also has "fast charge" and it took me a while to figure that C/5 was the reason as the charge rate is still programmable.  It is "fast" because of the faster ending. 

Remember that when you charge them at C/5, the actual input charge may be a bit less.  Check voltage after off charge for several minutes.
Fred

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »
Watch your charger taper off at the end of charge.  The charge toward the end tapers from your chosen charge rate to a rate of C/5 -  C/40, depending on the charger and your choices.

That's baked into the Li-Ion battery chemistry, BTW: you charge at some constant current until you hit 4.2V (more or less, depending on who makes the cell and how long you want it to last, but I think most chargers just assume 4.2V).  Then you hold the voltage at 4.2V and let the current drop to whatever it will.  Then you terminate the charge at some predefined amount -- this is the C/5 through C/40 that Fred's talking about.

There's all sorts of issues with trading off battery life vs. how many electrons you shove into it at the end (temperature comes in there, too, which Fred knows more about than me, even though I'm the guy with the EE degree).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
Hello everybody,
I have made six flights with my eParrot today.
Four flights were 5 minutes each pattern flights, two were 4 minutes each and I used them to practice the wingover, square eight and hourglass.
These maneuvers, and especially square eight and hourglass, are consistently inconsistent and I have to improve them.

I have used four 4S 3000 mAh Zippy batteries for the pattern flights and two 4S 2200 mAh E-Flite batteries for the practice flights.

The no load cells voltages, measured about 1/2 hour after the flight #6 ended, were as follows:
4S, 3000 mAh batteries: range of 3.74 - 3.79 V for all cells where 3.74 V was the lowest and 3.79 V the highest no load cell voltage read by the LiPo voltage meter.
I wrote down the no load cells voltages for each battery and these numbers are available if anybody wishes to see them.

4S, 2200 mAh batteries: 3.75 - 3.77 V per cell with the same comment as above.

Charging: Fast Charge with balancing on my charger at 1C

4S, 3000 mAh batteries: range of 45-47.5 minutes for all batteries to reach 16.8 V displayed on the charger. Individual cells voltages: 4.19-4.20 V displayed on the charger. When the batteries were disconnected from the charger and LiPo Voltage meter was used, it showed the total voltage of 16.6 V for each battery and between 4.15-4.18 V range per all cells. Charging added between 2130 and 2217 mAh to the batteries what is acceptable from the 80% maximum discharge rule.

4S, 2200 mAh batteries Fast Charging process took 51 and 53 minutes to fully charge the batteries to the same voltage ranges like 4S 3000 mAh batteries. Charging added between 1750 and 1780 mAh to the batteries what is acceptable.

Conclusion: I will fly again on Thursday morning and will charge again on Thursday afternoon to compare the effects of both charging methods.

Thank you,
M

"Learning never stops - period"

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 04:53:04 PM »

There's all sorts of issues with trading off battery life vs. how many electrons you shove into it at the end (temperature comes in there, too, which Fred knows more about than me, even though I'm the guy with the EE degree).

Thanks Tim, I do try to "stay in a Holiday Inn" occasionally to make up for my EE deficiency. :)
Fred

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 07:25:45 PM »
Matt-

Any reason not to charge at 2C or even 3C? What is the max charge rate for those packs?
1C is rather conservative, especially since it is likely you won't actually be charging the 3000's at 9 amps; I'd bet they will be at the 4S peak voltage at a lower amperage as Tim Wescott alluded to above, and then taper down from there.
For kicks, after flying, why not try a 6A (2C) setting and see what they take. If my suspicions is correct, you might see about 4.5-5A starting charge, with a tapering down on the charge rate from there.

Good luck.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 04:43:16 PM »
Chris,
Maximum charge rate of my 4S 2200 mAh E-Flite packs is written on the labels - it is 3C.
Maximum charge rate of my 4S 3000 mAh Zippys is not specified.

I will always charge at 1C as, putting aside all "maybes", "buts", "I am not sure but you should..." and "why don't you try this and that..", it is the safest charge rate for the LiPos.

I am fast charging now my four 4S 3000 and two 4S 2200 batteries after six flights today and will report the results.

Also: I have received the LiPo 150 Watts discharger ( http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3in1-battery-balancer-discharger-voltage-indicator-150w-discharging-p-4767.html) and it discharges fully charged 3S 4000 pack to the storage voltage in 17 minutes(!).

Please see the attached.
Thanks,
M

"Learning never stops and when it stops you are dead"

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2017, 05:58:25 PM »
Chris,
Maximum charge rate of my 4S 2200 mAh E-Flite packs is written on the labels - it is 3C.
Maximum charge rate of my 4S 3000 mAh Zippys is not specified.

I will always charge at 1C as, putting aside all "maybes", "buts", "I am not sure but you should..." and "why don't you try this and that..", it is the safest charge rate for the LiPos.

I am fast charging now my four 4S 3000 and two 4S 2200 batteries after six flights today and will report the results.

Also: I have received the LiPo 150 Watts discharger ( http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3in1-battery-balancer-discharger-voltage-indicator-150w-discharging-p-4767.html) and it discharges fully charged 3S 4000 pack to the storage voltage in 17 minutes(!).

Please see the attached.
Thanks,
M

"Learning never stops and when it stops you are dead"

Thanks for the info on this.  Just ordered one.  Price is right if it works.   y1
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
Re: Very long charging time - issue fixed
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2017, 10:29:56 AM »
Hi John,
I have just discharged three 3S 4000 mAh batteries in less than one hour to the storage voltage 3.80 V/cell shown on the RCX-3in1 device.

Each battery needed about 5-7 minutes on my regular charger to discharge more precisely. The charger showed 3.81 - 3.82V / cell when the batteries, disconnected from the RCX-3in1 device, were connected to the charger.

I set the storage voltage on RCX-3in1 device to 3.78 V now and I am discharging 4S 2200 mAh. If this gives the correct display on my charger (3.8 V/cell), the RCX-3in1 device is less precise than my charger but is it very useful to discharge fast and this was the main reason I bought it.

Best Regards,
M

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2017, 11:17:49 AM »
I think most chargers are limited to 2A, so on a 4s pack that is about 33w only. That's a nice jump in speed for discharging.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2017, 01:23:53 PM »
Curious as to what charger?  Sounds like my old 610 clone and the discharge is limited to 20 or 25 watts, can't remember for sure.

The discharge system that you use can be multiplied - as I recall their estimate is 4 amp discharge rate for one, and then 8 for two and 12....   Howard Rush used two
https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/lipo-fast-discharger-to-storage-voltage/msg489709/#msg489709

You can also put the packs on a parallel board and discharge all together using normal parallel precautions.  It isn't really much different time-wise, but you only set and run once.  The storage voltage set is different on different chargers.  The Powerlab 8 used about 50 - 52% and about 3.85-3.86 volts at rest.   You probably can't set the charger shut off, but you don't have to discharge the cells further after getting close on the discharger - time saving and less fiddling.  If you leave the cells at a higher storage, then less time to fully charge before flight.  I've seen numbers of 45 - 60% as reasonable storage.  If you want to be at your charger's storage voltage for some reason after using the discharger, then discharge slightly below storage and charge back up.  It is usually still faster than discharge on the charger and easier on the charger.  Discharge into the charger is just generating heat and running the internal fan and that is a poor system on the low power chargers.

I don't remember your specific views on parallel charging to save time, but you only go through the end slowing process once for several packs.  A great place to read on parallel if you are not familiar
http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos/parallel-charging

Hope some of this is helpful.
Fred

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2017, 03:25:50 PM »
My charger photo is attached.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2017, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that. If I read the specifications correctly, the charger is limited to 5 amps or 50 watts of output.  50 watts/14.8V gives a starting max charge rate of 3.45 amps (cells discharged to 3.7 volts), even if you set it higher.  And the rate will taper as the voltage rises to not exceed 50 watts.  So, faster charge rates are not going to work, and you didn't want them anyway.  Parallel charging also will not help much as 2 packs have a 6 amp rate for 1C, but the charger is not able.  You would save the multiple slow end charges to C/X, but not very worth while.  I still have an old charger that works, but was rate limited to 10 amps. I finally updated so that I could charge 5 or 6 packs in parallel while I got ready.  Money for convenience.  It sounds like you are doing well with what you use.
Fred

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:31 PM »
I charge my 6S2700 batteries on a parallel board. I can do 6 6S's from discharged to full in 25 minutes.

I am now charging only to 4.1 volts..expect more life from them this way. It will be a while before I know if this works or not.

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:19 PM »
Paul
To put that in a context, what charge rate, how many amps replaced/flight, voltage or % remaining before recharge?  4.1V is about 90% as I recall, and I assume that you don't go below about 20% or about 3.72-2.  Unfortunately not all will have a plane that will stay within these parameters, and will need full charge.
Fred

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
More importantly, what life were you getting from them at the full 4.2V charge? Obviously not what you expected or there'd be no cause to change what you're doing...

Maybe going to the HV cells at 4.35V/cell and undercharging those to 4.25V would be the hot ticket??

R,
Target
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here