News:

• April 18, 2024, 10:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector ARC  (Read 2086 times)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Vector ARC
« on: May 08, 2020, 02:13:34 PM »
Hi everyone!

Many years since my last post on this forum, have been occupied with bizarre stuff like buying and selling houses and home renovations. On the other hand in the house we purchased I finally got a sizable workshop  :) I haven't touch a control line handle for probably 10 years but now I'm building a trainer with a diesel engine (I have a soft spot for diesels). However, yesterday I picked up an Brodak Vector 40 ARC. 10 years ago I flew an electric TF Nobler ARF with great success. Now I'm thinking of converting my new Vector ARC to electric power. I would really like to see som photos ot the motor/battery/esc installation in a converted Vector 40 ARC/ARF an I would be really happy if someone could post pictures  :)

Stay safe and healthy!

Best regards
Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Vector ARC
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:18:22 PM »
I fly with Mike Scott.  He has one and said he will take some pictures as soon as he gets a chance.  I will post them for you.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 03:32:14 AM »
Hi!

Thanks for your answers

Motorman: Yes, they do have a conversion kit, but its intended for the kit version. If I use it I will need to cut up the front part of the airframe.

Ken: Big thanks to you and Mike, I would be really grateful for some pictures.

Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 01:07:18 PM »
Here's what I did.  Built 2 of them and the conversion works well.
Jim Vigani

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:56:21 PM »
This will be a little anti clamatic after jfv's post but here are the pictures Mike Scott took for you.  He said to give him a call if you want 214-478-6263.

Just a thought - be careful how you mount the battery.  Even a 4s weighs about 5 lbs in a 7g corner.  I have seen Vectors throw the battery on an outside square twice. 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 02:51:47 AM »
Thanks guys, I can see that both airframes uses top "reloading" which is great at the field. I thought of using the engine cowling at a hatch. I did it that way on my Nobler. The drawback if of course that you need to flip the aircraft on its back to change the battery. As both Mike and Jim have made a top hatch I will make my Vector that way too.

Now its on to find a suitable power train. The 35-48 size motors with a KV of somewhere between 900-1000 seems popular so I will try to find something suitable. ESC will be an CC EDGE 50 Lite. Battery should do with 4s 2600mAh or what do you think?

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2020, 06:18:09 AM »
Thanks guys, I can see that both airframes uses top "reloading" which is great at the field. I thought of using the engine cowling at a hatch. I did it that way on my Nobler. The drawback if of course that you need to flip the aircraft on its back to change the battery. As both Mike and Jim have made a top hatch I will make my Vector that way too.

Now its on to find a suitable power train. The 35-48 size motors with a KV of somewhere between 900-1000 seems popular so I will try to find something suitable. ESC will be an CC EDGE 50 Lite. Battery should do with 4s 2600mAh or what do you think?

/Andreas
The 4s 2600 may be too small depending on the RPM's you need.  I converted a Nobler and ran it on a Cobra 2826 which was overkill.  A 2820 would have been enough on a 2800-3000 4s.  We prefer KV around 700 which provides more kick but also uses more battery. 

The Top Hatch is convenient but you have to hold the battery in with something other than the hatch or use bolts to hold on the hatch.  Magnets are great but they will pop open with enough pressure.  Those bands around the nose on Mike's are there for a reason!  I use a bottom hatch on my PA ships where pretty counts and I have found that Velcro wire ties work.  I have never had one fail and the battery doesn't move around.  Make sure you have plenty of cooling.  These puppies can get hot, real hot.

Good luck and welcome back.
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
"Now its on to find a suitable power train."

A cobra 2820 - 970 kv is all you need.  I used a Zippy Compact 4S - 2700  APC 11x5.5 E prop.  A TP 4S - 2800 would be lighter.
Jim Vigani

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2020, 09:11:15 AM »
It seems like all agree on a 2820 (3542) motor so I ditch the 2826/3548 size. A hobby shop near me have both Leopard 2820 780kv and 920kv in stock. As I did change my Noblers motor from 900kv to 800kv I think I start with the 780kv and change to 920kv if I find 780kv too low.

I will get some 2800 mah batteries and a Edge 50 Lite ESC, I do have one spare old Phoenix 35A esc on hand, but I guess its too small.
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2020, 10:24:23 AM »
2826 versus 2820?
I would say it comes down to what your AUW will be.
I have built two of these, from the original version. First was an ARF, and was fairly light so could have used a 2820. But I flew it with an AXI2826
Second one was an ARC, but was much heavier. I think a 2820 would be have been pushed a bit too hard.
Assuming CG is correct the extra ounce of motor weight won't matter to the plane, but will allow for more power to be produced by the motor without overheating.

Originally I had a 2826/10, 12x6 APC on 4S TP2800. Based on the first one I made the mistake of shortening the nose, and ended up needing quite a bit of nose weight.

Now it has a three blade 11x5 "Igor" prop, which requires a bit more power so it has 5STP2800. Motor is a Orbit 15-20, which avoids any motor resonance problems.
(I tried an AXI 2826/12, but the flight RPM was right in a bad resonance range for the motor. Could have been bad bearings, because Igor gets away with it.)

So if you have a suitable 2826, I would say use it.

Due to the shortened nose I had to make a balsa hatch. First one was similar, but used the fiberglass hatch.

The little baffle is made from Depron, and ensures most of the cooling air goes to the motor, with a small hole letting some go directly to the ESC.
The only air exit is on the underside of the fuse, between the wing and stab.

Pat MacKenzie
MAAC 8177

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2020, 01:56:36 PM »
You haven't talked about a timer.  I have had good luck with the KR line of timers.  Works with most any ESC.   It's easy to field program.
John Rist
AMA 56277

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2020, 02:51:03 PM »
Back in the days I built my own timers based on PicAxe chips. That way I could include my passion for electronics and coding into my C/L hobby. The timers I built were pretty simple passive timers, flight time and throttle were adjustable with potentiometers, a 30 second delay were hardcoded in the software, and end of flight warning. I did add a test mode with 2 minutes of flight time, very nice to have when you are testing props (or as myself, when restarting the C/L hobby you appreciate short flight times...). I built several versions of these timers and both the hardware and software evolved pretty rapidly. My Nobler have a timer of my latest design, and somewhere I have a spare one. If I can't find my spare timer I will probably buy something ready made. I can't even open my schematics files I made 10 years ago, God knows what software I used for that....

Pat: Thats food for thought indeed...

Andreas

Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2020, 03:36:50 PM »
If you want to do a DIY timer, this one by CircuitFlyer is pretty simple:

https://github.com/CircuitFlyer/Touch_and_Go

MAAC 8177

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2020, 03:51:59 PM »
I have this very setup in my Vector 40 electric ARF.  48oz ready to fly. .015 by 62' eye to eye lines. Very good setup.

"Now its on to find a suitable power train."

A cobra 2820 - 970 kv is all you need.  I used a Zippy Compact 4S - 2700  APC 11x5.5 E prop.  A TP 4S - 2800 would be lighter.
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2020, 12:08:51 AM »
Its obvious that, for a given airframe, there are as many setups as it are C/L pilots  ;D Here is what I will do, I have a 3548 (2826) motor with a KV of 900 on the shelf. Very low runtime on that motor. I have run the numbers trought the Castle Creations app and it seems OK.

Pat: Heey, cool! I will look into that timer.

Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 06:14:09 AM »
Its obvious that, for a given airframe, there are as many setups as it are C/L pilots  ;D Here is what I will do, I have a 3548 (2826) motor with a KV of 900 on the shelf. Very low runtime on that motor. I have run the numbers trought the Castle Creations app and it seems OK.

Pat: Heey, cool! I will look into that timer.

Andreas
I had a 2826 in my Nobler.  As I said, it was overkill but if you already have one and a Castle (which I use) you can make it into anything from a heavy .15 to a light .60.  I was going to get another 2820 for the Nobler and move the 2826 to my .60 size profile so bottom line - go for it! #^  Just watch that battery tie down or learn to land with a 65% CG! LL~.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2020, 12:41:36 PM »
The Vector is in the house!  ;D Extremely well build airframe, I wouldn't have got it this good myself. Feels light, especially the wings!
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2020, 07:20:17 PM »
Looks like one of the older kits with the wooden cowl.  They were the best.  Great start on your project.
Jim Vigani

Offline pmackenzie

• Pat MacKenzie
  • 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 08:14:38 PM »
Looks like one of the older kits with the wooden cowl.  They were the best.  Great start on your project.

I was going to comment that the new kit had wood cowls :)

Mine were pretty old, from the previous builder,  and had fiberglass ones.
Also my kits had one piece wings, his has to be joined. Rudder on mine were just solid sheet, not framed up like his.
MAAC 8177

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2020, 03:21:02 AM »
From my understanding this is a newer kit. In the original kit the wing was in one piece (which naturally is better, but the increase in shipping costs will be high). I wouldnt say no to a fiberglass engine cowl thou…. From the pictures of the Vector ARC on Brodak's web there is a solid sheet fin and solid sheeted body and no cut-outs in the flaps. The body on my aircraft has multiple lightening cut-outs. The plywood doublers in the nose have large cut-outs except where the IC Engine sits. The Engine bearers are cut like an 'L' int he tank area. they are only full 3/8"x1/2" in the IC compartment. As the Engine bearers have an 'L' cut, there is no balsa between the bearers. If you look in the tank comparment you will see the stringers and top deck. The changes they have made in the Engine/tank are good as it will be easier to grind away the engine bearers.

For the money, the quality is very good, I will go over the entire aircraft to check all glue seams and put extra CA where needed. I will keep you posted…  ;D

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 10:07:26 AM »
When you use the wooden cowl and glue it in place, it really helps stiffen the nose.  The top hatch takes care of access.
Jim Vigani

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 02:48:28 PM »
Guys, I sat down with the body of the aircraft, the motor and a couple of beers this evening and tried to figure out how to do this conversion the easiest way. From my experience the KISS approach normally yields the best results, if one tries to overdo something it will get unnecessary complicated. The results of my 'think-aircraft-beer' evening are as follows:

1. I will glue the cowling in place as Mr. Vigani suggests.
2. Cut the top deck from F2 all the way forward to the nose ring (but keep the nose ring in place).
3. Grind away the engine bearers.
4. Make a new former and mount the motor to the newly made former. As you understand the motor will be rear mounted, not optimal maybe but in my opinion it will be the easiest way.
5. The motor will be mounted somewhat off center on the former to get some degree of outward thrust.
6. Use the nose ring to align the motor and then glue the new former in place.
7. Grind up the hole in the nose ring as much as possible, to increase the airflow to the motor.
8. As for battery mount I found a thread on this forum where Mr. Hunt posted pictures of his type of battery mount and I think I will use something similar.
9. Make a new top deck from balsa, the magnet mounting seems like a nice idea.

However if one looks at Mr. Mackenzies reply #11 that way seems even simpler but you will have to flip the aircraft to change battery... oh crap, now this starts over again.... going to bed!

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 12:19:06 PM »
Continued the work on the Vector today. Glued the cowling to the airframe, opened the top deck and did grind away the engine bearers. Didn't get as much done as I would like as our cat has gone missing in action up in the hills, been out searching for him several times today. He has been missing since last sunday. I'm afraid the damn snakes (vipers) have got him. We got a 'snake year' this year. Rest assured I'm gonna revenge him, got my thrusty old, German made, rifle up from the basement...

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2020, 08:11:45 AM »
My Vector conversion is moving along quite nicely. I'm quite happy about the results so far. The motor/battery compartment is finished. I'm however a bit concerned about the torsional (spelling?) stiffness of the aircraft nose. I have thoughts of putting a layer of fiberglass/epoxy resin over the nose. If I would have to redo the whole thing to this point, I wouldnt have left half of the the engine bearers in the tank/battery comparment.
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2020, 04:54:51 PM »
My Vector conversion is moving along quite nicely. I'm quite happy about the results so far. The motor/battery compartment is finished. I'm however a bit concerned about the torsional (spelling?) stiffness of the aircraft nose. I have thoughts of putting a layer of fiberglass/epoxy resin over the nose. If I would have to redo the whole thing to this point, I wouldnt have left half of the the engine bearers in the tank/battery comparment.
I wouldn't worry too much.  If you ramp up the motor slowly there is very little twisting.  However, I don't use the pop off hatches.  Mine are bolted on from the side and the cowl actually becomes part of the load bearing part of the nose.  Hundreds of flights and no noses falling off and you want it collapsing in a crash.  You are going to be fine.

FYI - I do glass the nose from tip to 3" into the wing.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2020, 08:03:54 AM »
I also glass the nose of all my planes, as well as the joint between the wing and fuse up to the high point of the airfoil.  Great protection against getting cracks.
Jim Vigani

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »
Okay, then I'll glass the nose too. The nose will be more rigid and more resistant to wear and tear. A layer of thin fiberglass cloth and epoxy can't weight that much.... As for the seam between fuse and wind I have used epoxy mixed with micro fibers (I think that is cotton fibers) very light and you get a very strong bond.

Today I haven't got anything done on my Vector, I had to race to the hospital as my son was raced there in an ambulance with a head injury :'( why can't he just fly C/L instead of doing stupid things...

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2020, 05:38:55 PM »
Okay, then I'll glass the nose too. The nose will be more rigid and more resistant to wear and tear. A layer of thin fiberglass cloth and epoxy can't weight that much.... As for the seam between fuse and wind I have used epoxy mixed with micro fibers (I think that is cotton fibers) very light and you get a very strong bond.

Today I haven't got anything done on my Vector, I had to race to the hospital as my son was raced there in an ambulance with a head injury :'( why can't he just fly C/L instead of doing stupid things...

/Andreas
Just a thought on wing fuselage joints.  "Back in the Day" we used to make these huge fillets.  1" or more on the LE and over 1/4" on the rest of the wing.  Now we just run a bead of blue stuff around the joint and mold it with a wet finger.  My point is that they can add enormous strength and can be very light.  I carve mine out of block and they act like a gusset keeping the nose pointed where it belongs.  Everyone did it before, now you only see them on classics.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2020, 09:50:45 PM »
AeroPoxy is very strong and makes great fillets.  Unlike the blue stuff which doesn't add any strength to the wing fuse joint.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2020, 05:17:34 AM »
Fillets yes, I dont think I will do any fillets on my Vector as I plan to cover it in Oracover/Ultracote.  I dont like to cover the fuse in *cote but it will be the easiest way. I would have preferred to cover the fuse in Koverall, but as I never have worked with Koverall I`m worried that the seams will show thru the paint as one cannot sand Koverall like one can do with silk.

As for fillets in a general way, we have this fantastic product here in Scandinavia called `Marine Epoxy`. Its very strong and yet easy to sand. Very much like Sig Epoxolite, but much easier to sand.

Ken: You seems to be an excellent builder  :) The fillet/gusset in your picture is a beauty in its own
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2020, 01:04:10 PM »
If anyone is interested here is an update on my Vector ”build”  :)

The motor/battery compartment is finished, its a tight fit but everything has some space around it for cooling. I have ordered a timer from Mr. Fiorotti. As I’m very accustomed to the Castle software I opted to continue to use the Castle governor, so I have ordered the passive cltimer v5.x.

I opted to remove the included bellcrank, not because its anything wrong with it but I dont like the crimped ends. As I did have a bellcrank laying around where the ends are secured with thin copper wire wrapping and epoxy I did put that bellcrank in the wing.
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline jfv

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2020, 10:01:37 PM »
Coming along nicely.  Might want to increase the hole size a bit in the ESC mount.  Nice clean work.  Good call on the bellcrank.
Jim Vigani

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2020, 12:12:03 PM »
Thank you Jim for your kind comment  :) you are right, I can absolutly increase the hole size in the ESC mount and so I will. However, now disaster struck my Vector, I did glue the wing parts together. I was as careful as I possibly could and measured everything multiple times. For some reason that I cant explain I ended up with a wing with different taper on the top and bottom side. Top side was almost flat....  HB~> I have now managed to remove the planking from the middle part of the outboard wing and managed to loosen the short main spar and move it a bit. So now I have the correct taper. Tomorrow I will glue new planking to the wing.

As Mr. Scott Richlen wrote in the open forum: ”See?  With a little extra effort it is easy to do incredibly dumb things!  Why just do normal dumb stuff when you can drop a rake or a shelf full of trophies on your brand new airplane?  See?  We are incredible people!” I feel just like that...  :'(
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here