News:

• May 17, 2024, 06:43:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Vector 40 just finished  (Read 943 times)

Offline Wynn Robins

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Vector 40 just finished
« on: November 17, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »
Finished this today - all up weight (with battery) 49.38oz !!!

Rattle can acrylic lacquer over tissue and nitrate substrate

Axi 2820/12
Phoenix 45 ESC
Hubin FM9 - V timer
Zippy 3000mAh 4s pack
Will have APC 11 x 5.5 prop

Hope to get some flights on it SOON!!
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Vector 40 just finished
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2011, 09:21:03 PM »
Wynn, very nice!!!  Came in at a good weight too!  Hope it flies well for you.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 04:19:03 AM »
Beautiful airplane Wynn-very well done.

I'm working on a Vector myself right now.  Any chance you could share some photos of the motor/battery/esc/timer installation?  Never done one before, still trying to figure out where to put everything.  I see a hatch on the top of the fuselage, I'm assuming that you install your battery from the top?

Did you build in fore/aft adjustability of your battery to allow for CG changes?

What are you thinking for line length?

Thanks.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
Hi Wynn,
nice looking ship, and great job on the weight!
Vince,
Have you looked through the "list your setup" thread. I admit, it takes quite a while and many entries don't educate as much as they entertain, but you will learn a great del if you take the time.

take care,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:46 PM »
WTG Wynn! Nice trim scheme nice weight and really good power package.  Looking forward to the flight report.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 05:23:58 PM »
Thanks for the tip Dean.  I just fast forwarded through all 3 pages in the "list your setup" thread and already have a bunch of great ideas.  I only found a couple of pictures that really detail the "inner workings",  but they were helpful.  Some of the guys put a lot of thought into organizing their equipment.  I guess right now to me it kind of seems like 10 pounds of you know what in a 5 pound fuselage so to speak and I'm just trying to figure out a clean way of mounting everything so that I can still access the stuff that I need to access.

I know from my R/C experiences that it's not a good idea to shorten the leads from the motor to the ESC, but how about shortening the battery leads, any problems with that?

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:35:25 PM »
Just do one at a time Vince and you will be fine. Noel

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »
Hi Vince,
Actually, it is a good idea to shorten both the ESC to motor leads, and the battery to ESC leads.
Granted you have to make sure that vibration(what little there is of it) and "G" loads do not pull connections apart.
But short leads are good both electrically and weight-wise.
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 05:18:25 PM »
hey Vince - here is the install stuff from last year - when I first started on this - before being sidetracked by Legacies and Fishing rod build and the Yatsenko conversion

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20144.0

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2011, 05:10:02 PM »
OK, one more question.  I've measured it over and over and I keep coming up with a measurement close to 1 5/8" dia for the nose ring.  Of course, no one seems to make a spinner that size, so do you go with the slightly larger 1 3/4" spinner, or the slightly smaller 1 1/2" spinner?  Knowing my luck, I have the only Vector ever made with a 1 5/8" nose ring.

Thanks for all the advice, greatly appreciated.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2011, 06:02:52 PM »
OK, one more question.  I've measured it over and over and I keep coming up with a measurement close to 1 5/8" dia for the nose ring.  Of course, no one seems to make a spinner that size, so do you go with the slightly larger 1 3/4" spinner, or the slightly smaller 1 1/2" spinner?  Knowing my luck, I have the only Vector ever made with a 1 5/8" nose ring.

No you don't!  I used a 1.5" spinner - on both that I built.  The spinner shape taper is pretty sharp, and when you get the spinner gapped out in front of the nose ring a little it looks about right...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
or you can do what I did and change the spinner ring to 2" to give more space for everything and taper to that.

all my IC vectors had 1 3/4" spinners ( Randy Smith ones )

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2011, 10:53:13 PM »

They're built for spinners made to French dimensions. If you want a spinner to fit, look at Hobby-Lobby and Central Hobbies. This is yet another reason to buy the ARC version, of course.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here