News:

• May 08, 2024, 02:15:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ESC Software  (Read 807 times)

Offline Mike Anderson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ESC Software
« on: October 21, 2009, 03:11:50 PM »
I've finally gotten a Phoenix 45 with the CastleLink device, and I'd like to know what versions of the firmware and the CastleLink software are currently recommended.

I don't know the age of this one (probably 4 years old or so - one of the copyrights on some of the paperwork is 2005) so is that an issue, or can newest firmware install in even the oldest device?

Also, is there any reason not to use the latest version of the CastleLink software?  Somewhere there was mention of not being able to go back to previous versions, IIRC.

Thanks -
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ESC Software
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
Mike:
You cannot go backwards so what ever you load can only get updated - not back-dated (huh?).  If you just go and do all the default downloads you will get the latets version.  I think if you go to the Castle site to the "Software history" ( or something like that) to get the earlier versions.

There seems to be some controversy about versions 3.13 vs. 3.16 vs. 3.18.  Crist has data (datalogger) suggesting 3.13 is better, I only have seat-of-the-pants data that says no difference.  I'm sure Crist will elaborate or you can got back into some of the software threads...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 04:33:55 PM »
Thanks for the update -- So I guess the best thing to do is first get/install the CastleLink and read the firmware I've got - I don't know if anything EXCEPT the latest version is even available but I have gotten a little lost in the discussions of the firmware/CastleLink - mainly because I didn't have the equipment being discussed.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »
Mike,
FWIW, I am using the V2.0x version on my Phoenix 35's and 45. I am very happy with the way it works on my stunters.  I don't think there is a lot of new stuff for CL uses in the 3.0 for the older Phoenix ESC's. Now if you had an ICE version, that would be different.

I would wait for Crist to respond on the V3.x software, I think he has the best handle on it.
Eventually when all the dust settles, I do plan to upgrade my Phoenix 35's and 45. Since I have one Ice50, I am stuck with trying to support two separate versions--actually not true, since I haven't changed my older Phoenix's for quite a while now, but the time is coming when I probably would want to change some parameter--just can't leave well enough alone! HB~>

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 05:47:49 PM »
Mike,
IMHO the software to use is v3.13 for castlelink and v2.11 for the Phoenix esc.  Do not update the esc yet.  I'll send you v3.13 and then when you load and run it decline updating the castlelink.  Then connect the esc and then update the firmware to 2.11. 
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 05:51:46 PM »
Mike,