News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Useful battery life - can batteries be reborn?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Useful battery life - can batteries be reborn?
« on: October 20, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »
Guys,

I recently had a few of my LIPO packs do some strange things. Two packs hit LVC during what had been normal flight loads and time. A third went through the full flight but when I started to charge it at the normal 1C rate one cell took off after about 15mins of charge causing the TT 610C charger to stop the charging cycle. I let that pack sit for a week and reduced the charge rate to 1/10C and charged the pack completely to full balanced charge. The other packs I also charged at the same low rate and all seem balanced and fully charged. These are the first LIPO's I brought and have about 60 flights each. They are 8 -10C 3850mah packs, I normally would pull about 2650mah out. Looking at the static load of the prop it seems that I may have been pushing the amp loading as the standard prop that I use pulled 38amp (static) which should have been OK.

Question, I have lightened the prop load to 32amp (smaller diameter) and flown through the pattern (leaving out the level laps) and all seems fine. With the slow charge and lower draw can these batteries recover?

Best,                  DennisT

Alan Hahn

Re: Useful battery life - can batteries be reborn?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 10:21:39 AM »
I don't think they will recover---which means that they will regain their former capacity. However with the lighter load they may last a while longer.

I think the problem is that they are no longer 3850 mAHr capacity packs. So the 80% capacity rule no longer is working. By 80% capacity rule I mean that we believe this helps give the battery a long life, but also the battery can maintain the voltage during the flight (and not hit LVC).

I know I would put a data recorder on them during the flight to see what the actual voltage is doing. They are probably ok for testing short flights etc., but I am not sure ok for practice. Practice to me means flying the full pattern with the setup I want to fly with--including prop. If I wanted to practice square 8's for ~2 or 3 minutes, then I think they are ok, as long as you keep a good eye on them.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:46:00 PM »
Recover? No ... but a badly unbalanced pack will appear to lose capacity and drive near the end of the flight.
Sometimes a careful (slow rate) balancing will help you get the most out of what is left of the individual cell capacities. The weak link or lowest capacity cell dictates how deeply the pack may be used.
Hope that helps,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 06:17:19 PM »
I agree with what has been said but thought this graph might be helpful. It shows what happened to one of my LiPOs after about 50 flights flown to more than 80% capacity. First there is an overall voltage drop compaared to new, second there is a major voltage sag that would happen right after takeoff, third the total capacity of the battery is diminished by 15-20%. I could eliminate the early sag by preheating the battery to 120 degrees before installing and flying it. There was nothing I could do for the 2nd and 3rd effects.

Advertise Here
Tags: Battery 

Advertise Here