News:

• May 04, 2024, 11:33:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Use "MATCHED" ESCs for twins in GOV. mode  (Read 1046 times)

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Use "MATCHED" ESCs for twins in GOV. mode
« on: April 03, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
     I learned a lesson yesterday(2apr08)that I did not expect.When you use Heli-Govenor-High on a twin,you must check your ESCs to make sure they are"matched".
     I have flown a twin for two years and since I did not use Gov. mode matched
ESCs never were a problem. However,my new twin will use Gov. mode thanks to the
posts of Kim,Dean,Mike and others.
     My twin mock-up was bench run yesterday and a real problem was evident. My set-up is one Zigras timer,two CC-35 ESCs, one 14.8v 4270mah Battery,two E-flite
480-910kv motors,and two APCe 9x6 props. I set my timer for 9660 rpm and ran the
set-up. The outbd motor ran a steady 9660rpm. Then I checked the
inbd motor and it was running 9810rpm. Total amps were 37amps. My timer is connected to both ESCs with a Y harness. Both ESCs had been set the same using
Castle-Link software. I removed them and rechecked that they were the same. Then I switched the ESCs with all else the same and ran the set-up again. As I
expected the outbd motor now ran 9810rpm and the inbd motor ran 9660.
    I asked Mike Palko for some ideas by E mail. Today I took four CC-35 ESCs and labled them A,B,C&D Then  ran the set up and noted the RPM of each ESC.
The results were A=9810, B=9660 C=9810 D= 9720. Based on this I selected A&C and ran my set-up again with the timer reset to 9660 rpm. This worked !!! Both motors
ran at 9660rpm. I really don't understand why this happened but,I plan to match up my ESCs from now on.
   Walt Brownell

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Use "MATCHED" ESCs for twins in GOV. mode
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 03:49:44 PM »
Walt,

Interesting information about twins. Question - why not run two Zrton timers with all run from one battery pack that way they both start once the power is "on" should be able to then get each set up pretty close?

Best,    Dennis

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:20:19 AM »
   Dennis
 Yes, that is another way to solve the problem,but it adds another layer of
complexity. My approach is to follow the KISS principal. There is enough work
to set up for changes in wind and lap times, without making it necessary to
change two timers. It is a cost effective way considering ESC cost to timer cost.

Walt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 10:33:30 AM »
Walt,
My guess, is that the precision you are asking (measuring the width of an input pulse that can vary from ~1ms to 2 ms) just wasn't thought to be that important to CC.

Let me explain. Governor mode is used for helicopters which of course are single motor beasts (I am neglecting the occasional case where the tail rotor also has its own motor). The throttle output from RC transmitters is all over the map, as well as how people like to hold the throttle stick (sort of how people hold their CL handles). So anyway, it just doesn't matter to the normal use to be worried about the absolute precision of how the ESC interprets the width of the throttle pulse, as long as it is within some ballpark value.

Now what surprises me a little, is that I thought this measurement was all done internally and digitally within the ESC. Maybe some of this is the natural variation of the ESC internal clock.

But anyway, you (or I) learn something every day!

One issue that Dennis raises about using two timers is that how sure are we about how precise each timer times out? In other words, one could last a few seconds longer than the other, just for the same reason about the internal precision of the clock. Anyway I wouldn't want the inboard motor to quit too much earlier than the outboard!

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 12:56:04 PM »
Alan

The ESCs have been purchased over a period of 3 years. Some were bought together,
others were bought singly. I think that there may have been updates by CC that caused differences in these units. They sure have changed the Castle Link software
enough times in the last 18 months. Anyway, the units are reliable and work fine.
No one said they should be matched. Not many modelers will be impacted by this
problem. I was just giving a "heads-up" to anyone planning a twin.

Walt     

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 08:23:07 PM »
Walt:
Interesting outcome - and I applaud your perserverance & good fortune!

You have demonstrated variation in the ESC's, I agree, that using two timers might not have assured success either - after all there would likely be variation in the timers too!

Not to be a worry wart, but you might want to try your bench set-ups with a couple different throttle settings - just to make sure they track the same.  My worry would be that if you go a couple clicks up or down from where you are you might get variation - (the ESC's might respond slightly differently)

BTW are you running contra-rotating props?  If so you might even be seeing SLIGHT differences in the two props they are SUPPOSED to be the same but even molded plastic can vary.

I will be interested in seeing if others have your result.

BTW; I understand it is POSSIBLE to run two motors off the same ESC - has anyone out there tried that?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 06:53:15 AM »
Dennis,

We certainly think alike. I had the same questions that you posed. I ran tests to
find out. I tried different throttle settings several times. No problem. I ran contra-
rotating props and both tractor props. No problem. My understanding is that prop differences should not impact RPM. That is why you can set RPM with a small prop
and then put on a larger prop with no change in RPM. I can't say that I know any one
that has tried one ESC and two motors, but I would like to hear from any one who has
tried this.

Walt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
There are guys over on the RCGroups Electric Forums who say they have done it with brushless systems. I'm not sure how it works except that the motors must naturally line up at some point during the start, and once captured, they stay. I don't recall which ESC's they say will work, but obviously the ESC has to be big enough for the current draw of two motors.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 11:27:59 AM »
Followed Alan's lead and looked up the subject:

* Yes, some people have run two motors off one ESC successfully.  At least one company sells a dual CD motor system designed to plug into a single 10A controller.

* Some others have not been successful and/or have burned up motors and ESC's. 

* A rep from Castle specifically chimed in to say DON'T DO IT.

I presume it is not possible to make all the Catles becve the same by indvidual changes in their programming?

I'm an AE not a EE but it sounds like we need some kind of magic feedback loop that takes the rpm of motor 1 and adjusts the throttle signal to motor 2 so the rpms match?

Then how do we adjust a slight mismatch in RPM for the inboard vs the outboard motor?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Followed Alan's lead and looked up the subject:

I presume it is not possible to make all the Catles becve the same by indvidual changes in their programming?

I'm an AE not a EE but it sounds like we need some kind of magic feedback loop that takes the rpm of motor 1 and adjusts the throttle signal to motor 2 so the rpms match?

Then how do we adjust a slight mismatch in RPM for the inboard vs the outboard motor?

Uhh - If you connect two motors to one set of ESC leads,  how could the ESC send different signals to each of the motors?  In fact, how could the ESC even monitor the "idle" lead for the crossover point so it knows when to switch the current to the next lead pair.  It sounds to me as if those who got it to work must have been quite lucky the both  motors ran at all.

Mike A
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »
Dennis,

I hope that when we discuss ESCs we don't get caught up in brushed motors.
I have a tri-motor CL scale model with speed control and only one ESC. That works very well with only one battery and 3 brushed motors.

Walt

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »
Walt:
Yup I kept track of that.  One user started with brushed motors one one ESC, switched to AXI's again on one ESC then went back to brushed because he was tired of replacing bent AXI motor shafts.  Another guy smoked two motors on a Zagi twin set-up and damaged his ESC.  Someone else said they were using twin CD motors with no problems...  In fact you can BUY a twin CD motor set-up (see pix) designed to plug into a Phoenix or T-bird controller.

Mike:
Maybe I was not clear: the synchronization "magic" I was looking for was a feedback loop that takes the signal from one motor and uses it to request an identical signal from motor 2 - or adjust till it matches.  In effect this is a Master/Slave relationship for the two ESC's.  We would set the speed we need on one controller and the second controller would be tasked to keep up based on the signal from the first.  This would prempt the situation Walt found himself in comparing 4 controllers util he got a pair that matched ouputs.

Heaven help him if he builds a B-17!   HB~>

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008, 11:15:52 AM »
Hi All,
Dennis, there is some outfit that sells a "twin synchronizer", but I don't remember who, just now. I'll go look.
More importantly, who says synchronized or matched is important? Yes, the differences between two otherwise identical ESCs, with the same revision software, is almost certainly the difference between the processor crystals ... so a tiny pitch difference between the two sides will fix it. 

Last I chatted with Paul Walker, he said that the B-17 needed the outer engines to be set just a touch leaner and a few RPM faster to fly cleanly. 'Kinda like tire stagger on a circle track car! Let's see, a foot and a half between the motors on 65 feet of line is 2.3%, and on a 6" pitch amounts to 3/16" of pitch difference, just to balance the load side to side.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here