Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

UPDATE v1.1: Low Cost Open Source Timer

<< < (2/4) > >>

CircuitFlyer:

--- Quote ---In that case do we forgo the recommended protection diode due to the enforcement of polarity by the ESC connector itself?
--- End quote ---

The Trinket has schottky diodes on both the 5v and Bat connections.  The QT Py doesn't.  The problem occurs when you power up the board via the ESC and then plug in the USB cable.  At that point the 5v (up to 5.5v sometimes more) supply from the ESC is connected directly to the 5v supply in your computer.  Not the best situation.  To help protect your computer it may be best to use the diode as suggested.

Paul

AMV:
Paul, isn't the protection for the computer side already included? See here:

-Andrey

CircuitFlyer:
Your right, sorry I missed that.  It may be OK then.  I guess Adafruit is more concerned about using batteries to power the board.  If you used a single cell lipo it could be overcharge by the computers USB power supply.

Paul

jerryCashman:
Hey Paul,

Just wanted to drop a note to say HI and Thanks! I got all inspired by your timer and have downloaded it and it all just worked first time!

Haven't built the airframe yet (think I'll build a Baby Ringmaster to play with eC/L - but the drive train is all tested and goes like a bought one!

Many thanks for putting this fine work out there in the public domain.

cheers. Jerry

Jerry Cashman
Canberra, Australia

CircuitFlyer:
Your very welcome.  It's neat to hear from folks all over the world getting into eCL with my little timer.

These guys sell the coolest motor mounts for 1/2a electric - https://willynillies.com/shop/ols/products/cox-golden-bee-brushless-motor-mount

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version