News:

• May 13, 2024, 08:58:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two questions in regards to timer and ESC.  (Read 478 times)

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Two questions in regards to timer and ESC.
« on: May 15, 2011, 01:09:26 AM »
I had the motor stop when doing consecutive hourglasses. After about the 5th it just cut out.
The setting for cutout was very sensititve, (50amps).
I'm assuming it just loaded too much and went over the 50 amps. I tried to download the log but I had gone over the 20 mins and the flight did not show up on the log. ???
However, as a precaution, I replaced the Castle Ice 50 ESC and also the FM9 timer.
All is good.
But now when it ramps up for that second or two when you press the button, it revs up a bit longer than it used to.
Does that mean the old ESC was suspect, or is it the timer that dictates how long it ramps for after pressing the button?
Before it would either just rev for a split second or only just do a "chirp" and the prop would only turn over a revolution or two. Now it revs for about 4 seconds.

Also, I'm using a Plettenburg 25-10 and have played with the PWM rate.
I know it doesn't work on 8, so I have been using 16.
I just tried 12 and didn't notice any difference. I think the motor may have run cooler on 12 but the ESC temps were the same.
Gee I wish somebody out there could explain PWM to me in layman's terms, please........."PWM for dummies!"   LL~
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 03:38:13 AM by Russell Bond »
Bandolero

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: Two questions in regards to timer and ESC.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »
Hi Russell,
The spool-up time is due to a setting in the ESC setup.

Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Russell Bond

• Bandolero
  • AMA Member
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 07:31:46 PM »
Hi Dean,
No, I don't mean the spool up rate. It is when the motor spins just for a second when you press the start button.
It used to just "chirp" for a sec and the prop would only do a few revolutions.
Now with the new ESC (same ice 50) and the new timer, it revs up for about 4 seconds before stopping to wait for the spool up after 24 seconds.
I was wondering if the old ESC was at fault or is that particular "setting" in the timer.
Bandolero

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:34:14 PM »
Maybe Will will correct me if I have it wrong, but I believe the initial motor burst is programmed into the timer so that ESCs that require a "full throttle" to initialize can be used. Then after a delay (that you can set in the FM9) the timer kicks on and the ESC does what ever spool up you have programmed into the ESC.

John
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »
Yes, the timer generates the motor blip, to assure the user that timing has begun. I believe I did lengthen the time (or the amount of throttle?) for the blip, at one point in the history of programming the timers, to ensure that all ESC/motor combos would produce a nice blip, and I think this is what is being observed. What happens after the blip hasn't changed.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here