News:

• May 12, 2024, 01:56:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: two-bits E  (Read 2311 times)

Offline robert harness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
two-bits E
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:29:58 AM »
two-bits E is flying|   this is Rick Loomis's push pull twin stunter that he won the 1967 senior stunt nats with....Rick passed away this last jan. and I have the last IC two-bits that Rick built..With two aero tigers and 90oz weight it is a real hand full...but wonderful  flyer..The E version has two hacker A30-12l motors kr timers and one 5000ma lipo..it weighs 76oz ready to go and flys great..with only 4 two min flights I'm far from ready for competion but all looks promising...the power pod lifts off the wing for easier transport and makes maintenance mush easier...cant wait for VSC...   Bob Harness

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: two-bits E
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
Hi Bob
I see this is your first post - WELCOME to Stunt Hanger.  Nothing like starting out with a bang.  I remember seeing the original Two-Bits - but your electric version would have a LOT going for it.  CONGRATS on the light weight too.  If the original was 90 oz dry then it was probably close to 98 ready to fly, you are more than a POUND better than that - ought to be noticeable.

Nice idea with the removable power pod.  Can't tell - did you use counter rotating props?  They do not look like APC's either.

Too bad Rick isn't here to see it but I'll bet he is smiling somewhere...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline robert harness

• New Pilot
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
Hi Dennis.   Thanks for remembering Rick. It was the 1966 Nats at Glenn View and Rick lost his #1 ship when the rear engine quit in the overheads...the props are master airscrews 10/7s counter rotating at 8600 rpm..results are a perfect 5.5 sec lap time...the gas ship take almost a 1/4 lap to lift off where the E ship is off in 25 ft...make the best take offs and landings I've ever seen.....thanks again Bob

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 04:20:39 PM »
Hey Bob, what engines did Rick use in the original?  Did he use 10" props on both engines?  Did he (or do you with the new one) have any trouble with the rear prop catching pebbles from the nose gear?  Is gear set up in such a way that the rear prop can never touch ground?

( I know, I ask too many questions  :-[ )
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
dunno if it wasnt the old Tornado three bladers.As they came in ' Pusher ' 7&. So 9 or 10 in .

The Big Question IS , does the rear prop produce a gyroscopic thingo CUMULATIVE with the Front ?

Or do ' we ' rotate both as the Same Prop , and get a big Tourque / Roll lever . n~

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »
Bob, great work recreating the original, and electric too boot!  If memory serves me Rick used 2 McCoy 35s in his second ship. 

This brings back a lot of memories.  We used to fly in the parking lot at Santa Anita race track every Sunday morning in the mid ‘60s.  My best memory is when Rick, Jed Kusic and I went to the 68 Nats with Two-Bits stretched from front windshield to back windshield in Jed's car.  Somehow we managed to get my stunt ship, 6 combat planes and Jeds racing planes in the same car.  Great times and good memories of those days.  Please be careful with this one, at least ‘til I see it in person.

Phil
PT Granderson

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 06:23:21 PM »
Did he (or do you with the new one) have any trouble with the rear prop catching pebbles from the nose gear?  Is gear set up in such a way that the rear prop can never touch ground?

Why would you start the aft motor until the plane is flying?  If you can stop the prop sideways, the aft engine would be no constraint to the landing gear.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 07:12:13 PM »
Why would you start the aft motor until the plane is flying?  If you can stop the prop sideways, the aft engine would be no constraint to the landing gear.

Sure, thats cool, all you need is two timers.  Musta been hard to start the IC bird that way tho.. :o
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline robert harness

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »
Wow thanks for all the interest...Ricks first two-bits had a McCoy .35 in the front and a .29 in the rear.    .65 was the max size at that time.. with 10/6 props.   The props are counter rotating and I see no movement from P factor or gyroscopic pressesion.   The rear prop can touch, but it takes off and lands in such a neutral attitude that prop strikes are not a problem.   Interseting idea from Rush, I do run two timers and ESCs and could delay the start of the rear motor.  The possiblilties are endless, I can even have the pusher prop in front and the tractor in the rear.  On  a side note in 1966 Rick, Tony Nacarado and I took my dads 1963 1/2  ford gallaxy 500 to the Chicago nats on route 66, My gladiator in a box on the roof, scale and carrier planes in the trunk, and the poor guy in the back seat had to hold two-bits on his lap..Great times...thanks dad for trusting a 16yr old.     Bob

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 09:00:37 PM »
Bob,

Awesome!!! We will ALL want to see a flight video! y1
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »
Way to go Bob, I look forward to see this plane soon. 
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 06:25:55 AM »
Outstanding, Bob, just outstanding! Makes me embarassed that I have not yet finished my much more simple configuration twin and got it flying. I'll remedy that by next spring.

Never would have thought about the rear prop hitting on takeoff rotation, but now it's obvious. Electric makes that a snap with the ability to start the rear motor in flight. Brilliant, just brilliant!

Welcome back to the fold, old friend, and welcome to the world of electric flight. The spirit of Tesla has descended upon you!  n~

Later - Bob Hunt

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 08:13:35 AM »
Is one motor going to be enough to that beast airborne?   Really that is a great looking plane.   Hop it flies well for you and hoepfully see it at VSC.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Without a lot of analysis, I figure that if two will do a wingover, one will make a nice takeoff.  V1=0. 

Another advantage is that you can turn the power pod around if you get the motor polarity backwards.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline robert harness

• New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
So many great ideas...I have a lot of work to do..Thank goodness that I have a flying circle in my front yard||  The pod worked out really well the other day when I was able to put in in the back seat of the Comanche and fly down to RSM (Eric Rules place) Eric spent the whole afternoon updating and testing  the system...many thanks to Eric...   And Bob Hunt many thanks for the kind words.  I told My Wife you mentioned the word brilliant...She to have you give her a call...lol      Bob

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 05:07:53 PM »
Looks good, Robert.  Can't wait to see it next March.
Until this post I wasn't aware that Rick Loomis had passed away.  Hope it was peaceful.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2012, 06:00:29 PM »

Another advantage is that you can turn the power pod around if you get the motor polarity backwards.
[/quote]

That's good Howard. You should have been an ELECTRICAL engineer !  LL~  n~
AMA 33676

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here