Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

Twisting ESC wires

(1/3) > >>

Mike Morrow:
In another post it was stated " ESC does not like twisted wires". Can anyone explain why ot why not?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Frank Imbriaco:
 ESC wires are carrying considerable voltage and twisting will cause additional heat and resistance. Totally different topic but R/C fliers will twist long servo extensions to increase signal strength.

John Rist:
ESC wires need to be kept short.  They are big and twisting increases length.  IE what Frank said.

Dave Rigotti:
What wires (exactly) on the esc is this topic about?

Ken Culbertson:
Frank, that was actually the topic.  I just didn't explain it properly.  Since the wires carry signals as well as voltage I did not want to have them parallel.  Maybe it is not an issue with the ESC-Motor wires.

I am building a twin.  Aerodynamically, for weight distribution the ESC's are best in the fuselage but then you have three long wires to the motor and two short to the battery.  Putting them in the wing makes the three short wires to the motor and two long battery wires.  I can't find the wire sizes anywhere in the Jeti literature.  On the 33 they appear to be 14 to the motor and perhaps 12 or 13 to the battery.  My batteries are all 6s with 13 gauge leads.  All of the weight of the ESC and wiring will be ahead of the CG, just a matter of how far.  Is it necessary in our application to match wire sizes?  My gut says to put the esc's in the wing.  Other more knowledgeable guts say the fuselage.  It is a bridge I need to cross before too long.  I can't change my mind after the wing is built - I am saving that for last.

Another "issue" is the battery "s" rating.  The Spin 33 literature says up to 5s yet I hear of using 6s.  I actually have a better stock of 5s 2800 Lipo than 6s 2800 Liion but I question if the 5's will have enough boost and head room for a plane that would be flown on a 3520-710 as a single motor with a 6s 1800 vs a pair of 2320-850's in the twin.  Is anybody out there using a 6s on a Spin 33?  OR, for the elephant in the room, is the Spin 33 the right ESC?  It will have a Fiorotti timer.

My choice on the location seems to be this (times 2):  8" from battery to ESC and 18" from ESC to motor, or
18" from battery to ESC and 5" from ESC to motor.

Ken

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version