News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:26:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twisting ESC wires  (Read 733 times)

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Twisting ESC wires
« on: January 20, 2024, 04:09:45 PM »
In another post it was stated " ESC does not like twisted wires". Can anyone explain why ot why not?

Thanks,
Mike

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
Re: Twisting ESC wires
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 06:21:43 AM »
 ESC wires are carrying considerable voltage and twisting will cause additional heat and resistance. Totally different topic but R/C fliers will twist long servo extensions to increase signal strength.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 07:31:18 AM »
ESC wires need to be kept short.  They are big and twisting increases length.  IE what Frank said.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »
What wires (exactly) on the esc is this topic about?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 09:27:16 AM »
Frank, that was actually the topic.  I just didn't explain it properly.  Since the wires carry signals as well as voltage I did not want to have them parallel.  Maybe it is not an issue with the ESC-Motor wires.

I am building a twin.  Aerodynamically, for weight distribution the ESC's are best in the fuselage but then you have three long wires to the motor and two short to the battery.  Putting them in the wing makes the three short wires to the motor and two long battery wires.  I can't find the wire sizes anywhere in the Jeti literature.  On the 33 they appear to be 14 to the motor and perhaps 12 or 13 to the battery.  My batteries are all 6s with 13 gauge leads.  All of the weight of the ESC and wiring will be ahead of the CG, just a matter of how far.  Is it necessary in our application to match wire sizes?  My gut says to put the esc's in the wing.  Other more knowledgeable guts say the fuselage.  It is a bridge I need to cross before too long.  I can't change my mind after the wing is built - I am saving that for last.

Another "issue" is the battery "s" rating.  The Spin 33 literature says up to 5s yet I hear of using 6s.  I actually have a better stock of 5s 2800 Lipo than 6s 2800 Liion but I question if the 5's will have enough boost and head room for a plane that would be flown on a 3520-710 as a single motor with a 6s 1800 vs a pair of 2320-850's in the twin.  Is anybody out there using a 6s on a Spin 33?  OR, for the elephant in the room, is the Spin 33 the right ESC?  It will have a Fiorotti timer.

My choice on the location seems to be this (times 2):  8" from battery to ESC and 18" from ESC to motor, or
18" from battery to ESC and 5" from ESC to motor.

Ken

« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 06:20:20 PM by Ken Culbertson »
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 11:10:59 AM »
Twisting isn't going effect anything.

Very long battery leads are a problem. Very long motor leads are not. Long battery stresses the input capacitor. For an earful...https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?952523-too-long-battery-wires-will-kill-ESC-over-time-precautions-solutions-workarounds&highlight=engin%20wire

Greg

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 11:39:19 AM »
Twisting isn't going effect anything.
Very long battery leads are a problem. Very long motor leads are not. Long battery stresses the input capacitor.

Now we are getting somewhere.  Assuming that 18" is "long" the esc's should go into the fuselage as close to the battery as filling a "blivit" (alternate definition - the nose of an electric stunter) will allow.  Apparently from reading the RC postings (thanks for the link) I do not have to upsize the wire either.  Twists would be nice if there was a radio but there isn't one so skip that.  I plan on making all connections except the battery bullet connectors to minimize the slack I will need to route the wires.  Bullets are easier to connect in tight places using needle nose pliers.  Only questions left are what gauges are the ESC wires on the Spin 33.  I don't want to have to buy one to find out, and will it stomach a 6s Li-Ion battery? 

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2024, 12:54:14 PM »
You are using 2 ESC's, right?
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2024, 01:40:18 PM »
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Mike Morrow

• 24 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2024, 02:47:10 PM »
ESC wires are carrying considerable voltage and twisting will cause additional heat and resistance. Totally different topic but R/C fliers will twist long servo extensions to increase signal strength.
Thank you for the information.

Mike

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Offline spare_parts

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2024, 04:55:36 PM »
Only questions left are what gauges are the ESC wires on the Spin 33.  I don't want to have to buy one to find out, and will it stomach a 6s Li-Ion battery? 

Voltage has no impact on wire size. Wire size is selected for ampacity. However, Spin 33 is rated 5S max. Looks like you need a Spin 44 for 6S. I don't know about ESC options for CL applications, but you should be able to find other ~30A 6S ESC, like the Castle Talon 35 to save some weight.

Most ESC MFG will list wire size in their specs. Spin 33 and 44 both use 2.5mm^2(13AWG) on the input.
Greg

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2024, 05:23:22 PM »
Voltage has no impact on wire size. Wire size is selected for ampacity. However, Spin 33 is rated 5S max. Looks like you need a Spin 44 for 6S. I don't know about ESC options for CL applications, but you should be able to find other ~30A 6S ESC, like the Castle Talon 35 to save some weight.

Most ESC MFG will list wire size in their specs. Spin 33 and 44 both use 2.5mm^2(13AWG) on the input.
Thanks for the AWG size. 13 is what I have on my 5 and 6s batteries.   I have used the Castle Edge ESC's but never the Talon.  It is a logical choice but I don't like the programming on Castle products.  I am also concerned with the speed being too slow for the Fiorotti.  I will have to check that out.  I think I know of some folks using them.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here