News:

• May 12, 2024, 06:50:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Twin electric wiring  (Read 539 times)

Offline paul winter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Twin electric wiring
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
as you know by now i am building a twin ,the engines are 9 inches from the fuz ...
Question   does it matter how long the wires are between the esc and the motors mine will be 14 inches at least ,???????
paul

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Twin electric wiring
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 03:05:45 PM »
Wire length from the battery to the ESC matters a lot.

Wire length from the ESC to the motor matters little.

Castle has guidelines on their site somewhere, but I couldn't point you to just where.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 03:32:44 PM »
From what I know 14 inches should be fine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1664545
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
Keep it as short as possible, too long motor to ESC can in some cases cause erratic commutation and too long esc to battery can cause overvoltage - both can damage transistors. The rule is, that if you have battery voltage close to max voltage of ESC, you cannot lengthen battery leads, and in that case you must do it on motor wires. If you have low battery voltage, it is better on battery side. However proper way is to lengthen battery lead and add capacitors. They should be installed in case that wire length is over 10 inches. But it depends on battery volatage (difference between battery voltage and max ESC voltage)

Offline Jason Greer

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:47:41 AM »
You could use two batteries, one in each  nacelle.  This would allow you to keep everything closer together without the additional wiring.  The batteries could be half the capacity of the single batter you had planned to use.  Of course you would still need to connect the esc's to a single timer.

Jason
El Dorado, AR
AMA 518858

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:55:45 AM »
True, but one of the advantages of an electric twin is that you can shove the battery all the way forward in the nose for balance.  If you put the batteries in the nacelles then you're limiting yourself to how short they can be.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline paul winter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
hi all
as for jason comments its your fault getting me so addicted ,,,,lol

also 2 x 2200 batteries come out at 17ozs

and Dean has said that wires length dosen't matter

it means that the nacelles can be light and empty ,all they have is the motors in them

changed my design now for the model

more to follow

paul

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
Hi Paul,
I see that you've gathered a bunch of good info here.
"Doesn't matter" is a bit of an overstatement, but yes the ESC is much less sensitive to long motor wires, provided the three wires are twisted together neatly and tightly. This reduces the risk of broadcasting into the cotrol cable which should always be run far from both sets of high-current wiring in the airplane.

I'd hate to put batteries in each nacelle: the bar-bell effect of two batteries out there will cause tip banging and hinging in the crossover transitions that no amount of trimming may fix.
Fortunately a pair of small light motors won't cause too much problem that tip weight and flap asymmetry won't do the trick.

take care,
  Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here