Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Banshee  (Read 888 times)

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Banshee
« on: November 04, 2012, 10:41:36 AM »
Has anyone coverted a Banshee to electric. I pick up one at a swapmeet with a fox 35 on it, the balance point is before the LE. I was going to move the motor back but when I looked at a set of plans the motor rails do not go back very far. I was thinking this may be a good plane to change over.

Thanks Steve

P.S. I looked in setup's but could not find one.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Banshee
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 12:22:05 PM »
Steve,
  When I get on my main computer. I'll email you the Nats files on Kevin's banseee and the other Nats pilots who flew Banshees. Its an easy convert.
William
AMA 98010

Offline builditright

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • So happy to be alive!
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Has anyone coverted a Banshee to electric. I pick up one at a swapmeet with a fox 35 on it, the balance point is before the LE. I was going to move the motor back but when I looked at a set of plans the motor rails do not go back very far. I was thinking this may be a good plane to change over.

Thanks Steve

P.S. I looked in setup's but could not find one.

Steve, 

check out Lee Concannon's post on a banshee he's converting from the parts I laser cut for him.
sorry for the plug...   

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=23682.msg226518#msg226518

Thank you and God Bless
Walter
aka/ builditright

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:07:09 PM »
Here are 2 pictures of Kevin's banshee. The only change now is that it has a PHX 35 on it instead of a PHX 45. This is his setup as pulled from my notes.

Motor Used: Exceed Rocket-3020-860kv
Speed Control Used: Castle Phoenix 35
Timer used:  Will Hubin FM 9
Settings Used: (Set RPM, Governor, or other?): Gov
Batteries Used : Sky Lipo 4s 3000 20C
Prop and Spinner used: Great Planes E-Spinner 1-3/4" Red w/Aluminum Backplate  APC 11x5.5 pusher prop
AMA 98010

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 04:49:50 PM »
Steve

I've seen two electric versions at the Nats.  They both flew very well.  Sam will love it.  You only need a 4S2200 or 4S2650 batt. for 4-1/2 min. flight time.  Plenty for the Beginner Pattern.  Brother Will may fix you up with the same set up his Son flew at the Nats, only you can probably get away with a smaller mah batt unless you need nose weight. A 35 Amp speed control, Hubin FM 9 timer, and lots of choices on mtr.  Try to keep the all up weight to around 38 oz.  You (she) will have a winner and she can put her name on the Eagle's Nest Trophy next year.  :)  Tell Sam I said Hi.  :)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 06:40:19 PM by Dan Bregar »
AMA 33676

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 05:49:41 PM »
I agree with Dan,for the beginner pattern a smaller battery will work. A 4s 2500-2700 will be fine. Kevin's plane as flown at the Nats was around 44 oz. Kevin is now flying the full pattern with his Banshee and using 2000 -2100 mah out of those batteries in 5min and 30 sec. He still likes to fly a bit fast but we are gradually slowing him down 100 rpm at a time so those numbers will continue to decrease. There are also now some decent lighter batteries out than I was using.
AMA 98010

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:21:12 PM »
HI guys, do you have to shorten the nose. The weight of this thing is only 22oz with the fox 35, tank and no spinner. Could not believe how light it was, thought there was something wrong with the scale. This might be why it is so nose heavy. The fuse in the back has been sanded and look to be a thin on the outside edge's.  Samantha did her first lazy eights today and outsides today, and half of a overhead. Her inverted is pretty good. She allways wanted to tuck it under to come out of it. Todays flying end with a figure 9,but thats ok. She started to do what she wanted where she wanted and 90 deg to the wind and in it went. It was not to bad I will have back in the air this weekend. This year flying is just about over, only 45 today and started to get windy. 60 next weekend hope there is no wind.

Thanks Steve

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:44:02 PM »
Hi Steve

Way to go Samantha !  She is learning new flying skills ! Probably the next time I see her she will be doing the complete beginner pattern. Steve, 22 oz. don't sound right. Remember when we compare weights with glow vs electric we need to weigh the glow airplane with the tank full of fuel. Usually adds 3 or 4 oz. Even so that would make it to 26 oz. Still sounds very very light.  My Magician weighs 35 oz. and it's smaller than a Banshee by 100 sq. in. or so.  :-\

Best regards to you and Sam,
Dan Bregar
AMA 33676

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »
Dan I dont know why it is so light. I put the Hole Shot on the scale and it is still 34oz. I thought it was the scale, it is off my work truck and it is about 6 month old. This could be a scrach built and very light wood, I know that I cant build this light. The fox even has a muffler on it. The first hard landing it could break in half. It does not look like it ever flew. The covering need to be replaced, i have allready put a hole in it

Cant wait tell next year and to see everyone. Samantha is doing alot better, Bob Hunt got an the handle with her in Ohio and did some lazy 8s and help with other things. She out flys me so I cant help much. Guys that fly around are helping her, Dick Imoff that help me when I was a kid, is now helping Sam. He is a old combat flyer and he can still fly great. If we can get are field back and dont have to drive 30 miles one way she should start coming along fast.

Steve

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 06:59:21 PM »
Steve

Yea, I watched Bob and Samantha at the Akron Canton Airport contest. Glad she is doing good.  She is so enthusiastic.  She is just great.  And what a good, no, Great Dad you are !  You both will like electric.  No more issues with a bad needle setting.  They run the same every time.  Hope the Banshee works out for her.  My Magician has served me well for two seasons and I think I may retire it. Put over 200 flights on it in two seasons & 7 contests.  If I can be any help to you two with the Banshee, just let me know. Glad to help my buddy Sam.  :)
AMA 33676

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here