News:

• May 13, 2024, 04:13:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turnigy plush 18A and 30A ESCs  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Turnigy plush 18A and 30A ESCs
« on: February 27, 2010, 07:20:20 AM »
Do these EScs have governor mode?   ???

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
Re: Turnigy plush 18A and 30A ESCs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 08:43:13 AM »
No - NONE of the Chinese ESC's have a working (by our definition) governor mode.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 08:45:36 AM »
Nope - even though the ads say they do.  They do have a prop brake, and are sport-flyable if you use a timer that constantly advances the throttle setting like Wil Hubin's FM-0c.  (I believe some other timers also work that way but I do not have direct experience with them)

I have a Turnigy 35A in an OTS bird and it works OK but it will never be mistaken for a Phoenix!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:25 AM »
Any recommendations for low cost 18-20 and 30 Amp ESCs with governor?

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
Castle Phoenix is probably the most economical - Since the ICE came out, the Phoenix can be had for a little less than before.  There is also the Jeti (don't know which models have all the features - pretty sure the Jeti Spin does) and you may be able to still find an Atlas, which I think Wil Hubin said works pretty well.  The Hackers are (or used to be) re-labelled Jeti's.  None are 'inexpensive' compared to the Chinese ones, but really not that bad.

I really must stress that Governor mode is not absolutely necessary - I've been flying a Twister on a 3-cell setup with a Super Simple 50 amp ESC and a Hubin timer (with the throttle 'advance' feature).  I have done more complete patterns in the past year than in the previous 10 years combined (all glow powered).  I have also used a JMP-2 timer, which also has the advance feature, as does the Z-tron (don't know which model).  If you can somehow account for the battery droop, you can get a system that will fly through the pattern.  I use 4200 mah (3s2p) and 3700 mah (3s1p) batteries and set the timer for 5:20.  Power through the 4-leaf is more than adequate.  When Spring gets here, I will be starting to get a 4-cell setup going and have a Phoenix 45 for it, but a minimal amount of testing done late last fall showed that while it is noticeably better than the old setup through manuevers, it isn't absolutely necessary.

A smaller (30 amp) system, flown mostly for sport, is also flying well - though un-governed.  This is the one that I have tried 3 different Chinese ESC's - supposedly with governor - on, including one of the Turnigy's (Plush, I believe).  Like I said above, none of them actually governed nor had any method of setting a governed RPM.  One of them - supposedly a 'heli' model - would only run the motor at about 2000 RPM in Governor mode, though it worked normally with Governor mode turned off.  The Plush and one other didn't appear to have any effect whatsoever with Governor mode turned on, versus with it off.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 01:53:01 PM »
Thanks Mike and everyone. I did some more web surfing and found that HobbyKing sells a Turnigy ESC series:
PRODUCT ID: TSB20A
Turnigy Super Brain 20A Brushless ESC
link
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10940

Programmable settings;
Startup (Default Standard/Soft/hard)
Low Voltage cutoff (Default 5.0/6.0/7.2/8.4/9.0/12.0V)
Current limiting (Default Standard/Very sensitive/Insensitivity/Disabled)
Brake (Default None/Soft/Hard)
PWM rate (8/12/16 KHz)
Timing (Default Auto/Low/Middle/High)
Cutoff type (Default Hard/Soft)
Governor mode (Default Auto/Low/High)

At $29 for a 20A version it is moderately priced. The main feature is that it has a data logger with USB link just like the CC ICE. Seeing as how I am a low budget flyer I will probably try it.

More of their blurb:
Features:
Supports the ‘Turnigy USB Linker’ to program the ESC by computer.
Internet upgradeable ESC firmware.
Integrated flight data logger, records data for the ENTIRE flight such as:
- Voltage
- Current
- Temperature
- Motor RPM
- Throttle travel

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 02:18:50 PM »
Thanks Mike and everyone. I did some more web surfing and found that HobbyKing sells a Turnigy ESC series:
PRODUCT ID: TSB20A
Turnigy Super Brain 20A Brushless ESC
link
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10940

Programmable settings;
Startup (Default Standard/Soft/hard)
Low Voltage cutoff (Default 5.0/6.0/7.2/8.4/9.0/12.0V)
Current limiting (Default Standard/Very sensitive/Insensitivity/Disabled)
Brake (Default None/Soft/Hard)
PWM rate (8/12/16 KHz)
Timing (Default Auto/Low/Middle/High)
Cutoff type (Default Hard/Soft)
Governor mode (Default Auto/Low/High)

At $29 for a 20A version it is moderately priced. The main feature is that it has a data logger with USB link just like the CC ICE. Seeing as how I am a low budget flyer I will probably try it.

More of their blurb:
Features:
Supports the ‘Turnigy USB Linker’ to program the ESC by computer.
Internet upgradeable ESC firmware.
Integrated flight data logger, records data for the ENTIRE flight such as:
- Voltage
- Current
- Temperature
- Motor RPM
- Throttle travel

I line item I marked in red is not a governor - rather it is a "throttle curve". My understanding is that it is used by the Heli-boys to bias the throttle response from linear to achieve a nonlinear response which (I guess) makes it easier to fly your Heli.

The data logger is an interesting add-on.  Will Hubin has a timer model where you can actually adjust how fast the throttle advances. Thus you could, over a series of flights, watch the RPM read-outs and adjust the timer's throttle-up settings to get as close to constant RPM (beginning to end of flight) as possible...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 05:52:36 PM »
Dennis
Thanks very much for the info. I have been frustrated by not having info on the Hobby King products.
In my case I use RC to control the throttle, the plane is tethered and I stand outside the circle controling throttle and elevator/flaps by RC. Thus a timer is not used. I have noticed on flights without a governor that there is significant sag throughout a flight. That got me into governors which I now use. The governor also improves the aerobatics. So I want to continue flying with one. The problem is that Balsa Products has gone out of stock on the ones I use.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »
Just out of curiosity, if you are using throttle, why do you need Governor mode?  Governor mode can only operate if you are flying at less than full throttle.
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 07:39:28 PM »
Mike
Two reasons. Without governor mode I have had a tendancy to crash near the end of the flight when the battery sags and I loose line tension. With the governor the lap times are consistent and I immediately notice if it sags, I can then imediately land (usually safely).

Second reason is that the governor stops the motor from slowing down when the plane climbs, it actually opens the throttle simulating a 2-4 break. The result is that I can see a large improvement in my stunts with the governor.

To make sure the govrnor has head room I always leave about 500 to 1000 rpm excess above the governor rpm seting to allow for battey sag. For me this works extremely well.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 07:46:49 PM »
Hi Mike,
The RPM governor  mode is by far better for flying Stunt than any fixed throttle setting.
The governor will actually add power in the uphills and reduce it in the dives, not to mention keeping the lap times consistent throughout the flight as the battery voltage droops. In order to do this, the "throttle" that is internal to the RPM control loop must never hit full throttle, but instead needs some voltage headroom to do its thing. As a general rule, I suggest that the running RPM be set to somewhere around 75% of the multiplied product of the normal loaded battery voltage (3.6 V/LiPo cell) and the Kv of the motor in RPM per volts.

I addition, we have found that some ESC governors are slow to respond. The ones with the good fast response times to sudden load changes (like a square corner to a climb) will actually hit the motor with an extra pulse of current in under two-tenths of a second, which dramatically improves the lock coming out of the corner. Also, tighter RPM  control prevents wind-up in runway wind conditions much better. The Castle and Schultze ESCs seem to be head and shoulders better than the rest, but I'll let other tell of their experiences.

Hope that helps,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 11:48:17 AM »
Dean,

Do you have a number for the gain setting with the Castle ESC?

Thx,

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here