News:

• May 13, 2024, 10:13:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Turnigy motor alert  (Read 1021 times)

Offline John Witt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Turnigy motor alert
« on: October 08, 2009, 06:18:23 PM »
Hi all,

Last weekend I noticed that the heat shrink on two of the motor leads on my Turnigy 3548-800 in my Panther were stuck together. On a closer look, the heat shrink on the connectors appeared to have shrunk substantially.

I just finished removing the heat shrink and all three connectors show evidence of cold solder joints. One of them only had about 50% fill in the joint and had been running hot enough to have the solder flow and partially melt through the heat shrink.

I advise anyone with one of these motors (or really any motor) to give a close look at the heat shrink and if it show signs of any damage, peel it off and check the solder joint. Mine was a short circuit waiting to happen. This could cause loss of motor/ESC or a battery fire.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Alan Hahn

Re: Turnigy motor alert
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 06:49:56 PM »
John,
At least it is a little satisfying to know that when things get really cheap, there sometimes is a difference!  y1

Of course occasionally things like this also happen to the high price spread too! (like magnets coming loose).  HB~>

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »
Absolutely true that you generally get what you pay for.  I notice also that the cogging on this motor is not as strong as the Rimfire I replaced. Could be a sign that the magnets are not as good. However, the motor seems to haul the airplane around nicely and does not seem to run hot. Also is smooth and quiet and is running about the same mAh/minute.

All in all, seems to be a good deal. Ask me again in a hundred flights.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
I have noticed on several motor brands it seems that the "heat shrink" is actually just a slip-on insulatior that has not and looks like it COULD not be shrunk.  I also had one Turnigy with the connector soldering problem similar to what John described. 

I just inspect all the tubes and solder joints on any motor I use now.  Kind of like the old days of getting a new Fox, then pulling the back cover off to sweep out all the extra pieces floating around in there...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 12:37:05 AM »
I notice also that the cogging on this motor is not as strong as the Rimfire I replaced. Could be a sign that the magnets are not as good.

I do not think so ... I know motors with very strong cogging (PJS) or average (AXI) or almost none (MPJ) and they use the same magnets :-)

Strength of magnets is easy to compare if you compare internal resistance on two motors of the same size and the same KV ... stronger magnets usualy show lower resistance.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
Thanks, Igor.

That's interesting. I am an engineer, but motor design is not my field, however something like this always makes wonder: "why is that?"

The cogging could be affected by the permeability of the laminations, the clearance between the ends of the laminations and the magnets and the quality (permeability) of the shell around the magnets. But why would the resistance be lower in the presence of the magnetic field, unless there is an effect from the small current from the reference voltage of the meter?  Just guessing, really.

At least the cogging is one more thing to not worry about... #^

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 08:55:56 AM »
I have heard that cogging is due to slight imperfections in magnet placement or slight differences in magnet strength. This makes (if it is true!) certain positioning of the stator heads to be preferred. SInce the stator itself is pretty symmetric, this means that as you rotate an angle equal to the difference between stator heads (30 degrees with a 12 head stator), it will cog into the preferred position again.

It sort of sounds reasonable, but like I say, it isn't clear how much it matters.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 09:35:01 AM »
Hi Guys,
Cogging is a function of how the motor is designed and wound, not of imperfections. Construction flaws would create different feeling "cogs".  Skewed windings or poles and higher numbers of commutation changes per rev reduce cogging.

John, the presence of a magnetic field isn't the issue. Please let me restate what Igor described: assume you've built two motors both having similar Kv's and similar amounts of iron ... you could have built this combination with weaker magnets and more turns of wire, or with stronger magnets and fewer turns. The stronger magnet/fewer turn combination will show a lesser resistance across the windings. It's not linear either, it's almost a square function!

I hope that helps,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Archie Adamisin

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
I'll throw this one into the loop.  The turnigy in-runners have slottless stator assemblies.  The stators are washers and the windings are inside of them.  They have zero cogging, but have 4-poles.  I also have (2) Hacker B-40 FAI F5D motors that are built the same way.  The hackers are (2) pole.

All of my Turnigy out-runners have very little cogging.  There is less in the SK series than the Gold series.  The SK series is by far better than the Gold series in performance and efficiency.

As far as the soldering on the connectors goes, I always check mine as there is a limit to what to expect when buying a $17-$25 450-700 watt motor.  To me, a small price to pay and a good habit to get into when buying motors.  Most motors don't come with connectors, so I guess it could be considered a wash.  If you use the Turnigy within it's capacity, the only thing you will eventually wear out are the bearings.  I have yet to do that, but I am making it a preventative maintainence deal to change the bearings every season as they are under a lot of stress in a CLPA model.  The SK bearings are of much higher quality than the Gold series and are bigger as well to take more abuse.

I did have an "Operator Error" issue with my Turnigy SK 35-42-1000 when using it in an R/C Pylon bird. I had packed everything very tight and the motor wires were compressed together.  After about 30 flights, chafing caused the heat shrink of (2) motor wires to wear and eventually short against each other.  I thought I fried the motor.  I took it apart and popped the connectors apart.  I resoldered new connectors on and re-heat shrunk them.  I then changed my install and left slack in the motor wire arrangement.  No harm done to either the motor or ESC.  This is a testiment to the robustness of these components. 

Archie Adamisin
Muncie,INdiana   
Archie Adamisin
Burlington, KY

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:36:23 AM »
Thanks, Igor.

That's interesting. I am an engineer, but motor design is not my field, however something like this always makes wonder: "why is that?"

The cogging could be affected by the permeability of the laminations, the clearance between the ends of the laminations and the magnets and the quality (permeability) of the shell around the magnets. But why would the resistance be lower in the presence of the magnetic field, unless there is an effect from the small current from the reference voltage of the meter?  Just guessing, really.

At least the cogging is one more thing to not worry about... #^

John

The cogging is interaction between magnets and stator tooths. It depends on magnet strength, air gap and shape of magnets and tooths. It is typically slightly different number for example 12 and 14 (AXI), so it is possible to eliminate the cogging by its shape to some extent - how and where magnets come to tooth and what other magnets does in that position - attraction of every magnet can eliminate attraction of others (from torque point of view). I do not know if it is easy to imagine :-)

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 04:49:28 AM »
I worked in aircraft and you would be amazed at how many guys could not do basic soldering with any consistancy. But they would try ..or mybe they weren't ?

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 08:11:19 PM »
It is good to learn that heat buildup from a poorly soldiered connector can show up as heat shrink moving though. Something we can all watch for. We all have good and bad days. Doesn't mater whether someone builds an expensive or and inexpensive motor. The trouble shooting is an important thing we can all apply.

bob branch

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2009, 04:06:06 PM »
Some follow up info on the failed connection.

I got a chance to go flying this morning (Sat, 10.24) for the first time since the Salem, OR, meet. I noticed that the motor seemed to be losing RPM when loaded up in verticals, etc. After some checking , it appears that the terminal that was re-soldered had apparently gotten hot enough to anneal the spring leaves in the connector. It only takes about 1/3 the force to pull this one apart compared to the others. In addition, the electrical tape I used to bundle the wires had a hole melted in it at that connector.

If you have an occurrence like this check to make sure the connector is mating with the same force as the others, and pay some attention to make sure the connector isn't running hot. Turns out the electrical tape was a good over temp indicator.

This points up that I do not know which was the cause and which the effect. The connector may have been marginal which could have caused the solder failure, or the other way around. The re-soldered joint appears to be OK, so bad solder could be the initial cause.

It will be interesting to see if the power consumption goes down after this is fixed.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here