News:

• May 23, 2024, 05:30:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A finding.  (Read 617 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
A finding.
« on: March 25, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
I got a new electric set up from Brodak and got to work installing it. I had made a harness to connect the ESC and battery. It is longer than the one that I had made for that plane. When I hooked the battery to it nothing happened. I removed it and put the original harness in and it worked. I did a continuity check and it was good. I went outside to set the rpm and installed the plug and nothing happened. I wiggled the plug and got a couple beeps. I figured the Dean's connectors were dirty and cleaned them. Now it works perfectly. I went through and cleaned all the connectors on all my batteries and one battery that has acted strange will get another chance.
 I used a bunch of cotton tipped applicators to do the cleaning. The male plugs are easy but the female plugs gave me some trouble. But I cut the cotton end off of the paper stick and flattened the stick a bit by squeezing with a pair of pliers. Then I dipped the stick in some alcohol and ran it into the connector cleaning the contacts. After each hole I cut the dirty end off before cleaning the other hole. Some holes took more than one try before coming clean. I cleaned several connectors with each stick.
 A note should be added to the instructions.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: A finding.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 04:21:19 PM »
I used a bunch of cotton tipped applicators to do the cleaning. The male plugs are easy but the female plugs gave me some trouble.

I recall a guy from Racine having that problem.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 08:28:48 PM »
The male plugs are easy but the female plugs gave me some trouble.

Such as it is in life... LL~
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »
Are you using"REAL" Deans plugs or Chinese knock offs? I've had that issue with the knockoffs. The best fix is to replace them. If you must use the knock offs the only brand that I have had reliable success with is the Amass brand  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XRZRGSC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They should be pre tinned before soldering and a real hot soldering iron or gun should be used (40 watt minimum, I use more). I also never reuse them. I always put new ones on my batteries and speed controls. When I scrap a battery the plug goes too.
AMA 98010

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 01:26:02 PM »
How can you tell if it's real Deans?
They usually come in a package like the one pictured. You usually are paying more money than most are willing to pay. They are less likely to melt when you solder them and they fit together better. When you see them 10 for a dollar I can almost guarantee they are fake. The majority of them on eBay or listed as T connectors are fake. The only decent fake is the Amass brand, they fit the real Deans perfectly and they have ridges to make it easier to push together and pull them apart. The second picture is an example of fake. The third picture is an Amass.
AMA 98010

Online Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2020, 02:38:52 PM »
I've used a variety of brands without difficulty.  It looks like a big difference is the amount of nylon holding material.  Some have quite short nylon blocks.  When I use the smooth ones, I lightly scored the smooth surface with my Dremel cutter.  I also have a male and female together when I solder to maintain alignment, and I try to solder quickly to avoid melting, or loosening the metal.  Small wattage or small tip with poor heat mass doesn't work well.  Early in electric RC, in the NiCad days, I even had trouble with Dean's from too low heat for too long. 14g or 12g silicone wire is quite a good heat sink for a small iron. There could be different metal in the tabs or different thickness of gold coating but I haven't found evidence of that.

I don't order the ones with short nylon as my fingers don't like taking them apart.

But I can't disagree with William that the real Dean's are the best. 
Fred

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 10:36:41 AM »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here