News:

• May 14, 2024, 09:26:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trimming my stunter  (Read 6921 times)

Alan Hahn

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Trimming my stunter
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »
I guess I don't understand then (1).

If all three Set RPM settings are the same, the timer throttle is basically irrelevant (if it is other than "off"). If it isn't then there is something about the Set RPM mode that I don't understand (2)! HB~>

For example I fly with my timer throttle linearly increasing, so that my first rpm setting (7600 rpm) is held during my takeoff and 2 level laps. When the timer throttle transits through the 50% point, the rpm rises to 8000 rpm. Now my second and third rpm settings are just 8000 rpm. However the time throttle keeps on increasing, to its final 100% setting. However I don't see any change in my rpm values---from my Eagletree graphs anyway--in the level laps or maneuvering.

I have a JMP-2 timer, but I don't see how the Ztron is different --they both just put out a 1ms-2ms pulse to the ESC.

So I'll say for the 3rd time, I just don't understand (3)--but that isn't unusual!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2009, 05:11:26 PM »
This is an interaction between the timer and the ESC, I think. I don't understand what's going on and without some knowledge of the firmware in both units it may be hard to figure out. However it could be as simple as the ESC seeing the 2.0 msec pulses and the ESC controller thinking that there is no more power available beyond that needed to reach the set RPM, whereas at 1.5 msec there is 50% of the power band available. Kind of like a current limiter.

It's a distinct effect and PW ended up at the same timer setting. I don't know why, perhaps Igor can shed some light on this.

As far as the motor kV goes, the 9500 rpm with a 1000kV motor is OK: 13.5*1000=13500 *.7 = 9450, right at the bottom end of the governing band, and 13.5*800 kV *.7 = 7560 rpm, also OK. So both should govern OK, and the CC software doesn't present a warning.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2009, 07:35:09 PM »
So I have now had a chance to fly three contests with the Panther, and have really been having a good time. Some further trimming has been helping, the latest round being to desensitize the controls by making the plane a little more nose heavy and reducing the line width at the handle.

I had previously freed up the control linkage where it was binding at two places and discovered the pushrod from the bell crank to the flaps was flexing. I thought I was going to have to cut open the fuse to fix it, but with the judicious use of forceps (feeling like a brain surgeon, yeah) and cutting open the wing top sheeting, I was able to replace the all-thread push rod with a carbon tube and kwick-links. The result was much better response on inside turns where that pushrod was under compression and flexing a lot. The wing sheeting was replace after the fix, so the ship gained a tiny bit of weight, but apparently no loss of strength.

The battery was moved forward about 1/4 inch to induce a little more nose heaviness. The overall result was softer corners, but the overall flying is much improved because the stalling has been almost eliminated and the plane keeps its speed up much better. Square eights are beginning to be recognizable as having the necessary number of corners.

Please keep in mind here that this may seem like pretty basic stuff, but each improvement is a revelation for me.  The lesson here, I think, is to not quit working to make your plane fly better, seek the advice of more knowledgeable fliers, and experiment. Fly as much as you can and think about what's happening on each flight.

Panther now has almost ten hours of flight time and 124 flights.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
...and you and the Panther HAVE made some great strides from where you started!  THis has been quite a hourner, glad to hear how its paying off for you... H^^
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: October 17, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
Thanks, Dennis.  I forgot to mention that having the likes of Rutherford, Walker, Rush and Cochrun handy at the flying site is a distinct advantage. The problem is generally figuring out what the right question is.

And of course you and the rest of the forum crew have contributed as well.  One of the reasons the contests have been fun is the great bunch of people that engage in this hobby.

Now I only have 9,876 more flights to get as good as PW.    LL~

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here