News:

• June 16, 2024, 07:08:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ventilation  (Read 3975 times)

Offline keith varley

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
ventilation
« on: September 22, 2010, 11:37:51 AM »
When designing a full bodied stunter for electric use, surely there must be some provision made for ventilation around the motor ,ESC, battery and timer , yet I see little discussion of this topic.Is it sort of a none issue? What parts of the equipment needs the most cooling? Would the normal inlet that is under the spinner on a conventional I.C.setup provide enough of an inlet area as long as there is double the area provided for outlet at the rear of the equipment housing area?  I'm completely ignorant of basic electronics ,as they apply to our usage, and I'm looking for expert advice , or even a referral to a good source of basic knowledge that applies to this topic.
Keith Varley

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: ventilation
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2010, 12:02:50 PM »
Have we gone that long without a heated discussion about cooling?
It is a big deal, and it is often problemmatic.
more to come,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
.... a heated discussion about cooling? ....

Dean P.

LL~
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 02:10:20 PM »
As far as I know the importance of cooling goes in this order

ESC
Motor
Battery
Timer (which doesnt really need any)

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 09:22:45 PM »
Greetings Friends,
Common problems as i see 'em:
1) cooling air blows past the motor rather than being ducted to it and through it. (then folks want to waste more Watts and heat turning a fan)
2) No way to get hot air away from the motor, without blowing it over the battery. (maybe good in Winter???)
3) Poor battery air egress. I'm thinking open cockpits as air dumps and flow-through jets!
4) Motor heat is usually more of an issue than ESC heat.

Blowing hard to help solve cooling problems,
   Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline TDM

• Captain
REvolutions spinner backplate
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
Cooling concept that will be in corporated in the REvolutions project. A small centrifugal pump that is built in the backplate of the spinner and it channels the flow directly in to the motor.
Each goal you meet is a moment of happiness
Happiness is the harmony between what you think and what you do. Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: REvolutions spinner backplate
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »
Cooling concept that will be in corporated in the REvolutions project. A small centrifugal pump that is built in the backplate of the spinner and it channels the flow directly in to the motor.
But a centrifugal pump tends to fling the fluid out to the edge of the pump, never in to the center.

Why not just round the back of the spinner for laminar flow, then make the spinner ring a hair larger and perhaps with a sharp lip to separate the airflow into fuselage parts and cooling parts, with the rest of the assembly as you show?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 12:04:44 PM »
But a centrifugal pump tends to fling the fluid out to the edge of the pump, never in to the center.

Why not just round the back of the spinner for laminar flow, then make the spinner ring a hair larger and perhaps with a sharp lip to separate the airflow into fuselage parts and cooling parts, with the rest of the assembly as you show?

Sounds good. The centrifugal compressor will pull the air in depending on the fin angle and direction of rotation. You are right although it is very effective when you go out from the center.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 12:41:58 PM »
Ummmm.  What happens in this (or any of the electric cooling systems) when you have to fly in the rain?
Steve

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 01:09:54 PM »
Does anyone have any pictures of how their plane is ventilated?

This is one of my big hurdles in convincing myself to try an electric setup. I don't have the faintest notion of how to build the fuse so it's properly cooled.

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 01:45:45 PM »
Ummmm.  What happens in this (or any of the electric cooling systems) when you have to fly in the rain?

Place a flashlight in clean water and it will work just fine. Pure water is does not make a good conductor of electricity but a great coolant  8) 8) 8) 8) . Moreover Who flies in the rain?  ??? ???

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 05:16:27 PM »
Guys,
One thing that has worked for my Stuka is to open a rear fuse vent that allows airflow through the cowl up over the motor and ESC then out the cowl or thought the fuse and out the back.

Best,          DennisT

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »
Place a flashlight in clean water and it will work just fine. Pure water is does not make a good conductor of electricity but a great coolant  8) 8) 8) 8) . Moreover Who flies in the rain?  ??? ???
Good point -- my biggest concern if I were to fly in the rain would be getting the airframe wet and causing warps, and maybe promoting corrosion over the long term.  Both of these could be alleviated by making sure things get put in a warm dry place after flying, and the airframe issue could be dealt with by painting the right interior points of the airframe.

If I get serious about competing I expect that I'll be flying in the rain -- this is western Oregon, I wouldn't get enough practice in else.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 06:22:50 PM »
The reason I was asking about the rain issue is that the esc in my R/C car goes haywire if it gets even a hint of moisture on it-driving the car in any sort of rain, or even over wet grass or a small puddle is an impossibility.  And, sometimes at the contest you have to fly in the rain.  Plus, I have on good authority that the guys in tropical areas like Tampa can take off in perfectly clear conditions and have a pop up shower completely soak them before they get to the square 8.  Thats kind of tough to avoid......  I didn't really think it would ruin the motor, but I wonder about those timers and speed controllers.....
Steve

Offline John Cralley

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 06:27:51 PM »
I have flown in the rain (fairly light) and the only problem was "pilot error"!!! LOL
John Cralley
Scratch Built - Often Re-kitted!!!
AMA 52183
Central Illinois

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Hi Guys,
Hunt and I were discussing this just the other day. It looks like waterproofing is in order for the entire motor/esc/battery/cooling passages bay. Fortunately, it is water, not nitro, so nitrate dope will work nicely. Heck, add color and really wow 'em all!

Motors shouldn't care about the wet, but I'd squirt some lube on the bearings after a drenching just to displace any unwanted moisture in them.

Properly cleaned electronics shouldn't care about clean rain water ... but  :o
There are water-based fluxes used in some PCB manufacture that are great both environmentally and in terms of the circuit board cleanliness that is possible,
but if they are inadequately cleaned off, then moisture makes them conduct again.
There are also "no-clean" fluxes that don't get appreciably conductive when wet, just corrosive.

ESCs and TIMERS and such really ought to be cleaned and conformally coated with a Humiseal, silicone, or Pyralene coating, but now I am being fussy and overly demanding.
Good PCB cleaning in manfacture solves almost everything. Conformal coating would make circuit repairs almost impossible.

Good stuff coming up in this thread,
Dean P.

Dean Pappas

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 12:01:50 AM »
Charles Berry told us long ago that rain water ingestion beneath a hood is beneficial to a motor.  He thus apprehended Maybelline at the summit.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2010, 12:15:07 AM »
Charles Berry told us long ago that rain water ingestion beneath a hood is beneficial to a motor.  He thus apprehended Maybelline at the summit.

Was this the same guy that couldn't get the seatbeat loose from his girl????

Randy

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2010, 10:32:01 AM »
Having no particular place to go?  Could be.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2010, 10:36:12 AM »
Real airplanes with round motors have small spinners, ingest air through a round cowl and control the outlet size/flow rate with cowl flaps.  The classic stunt look with a big spinner has its origins in cowling a single cylinder IC  engine, plus the Mustang/Spitfire look of WW 2.  We need to switch to the Hellcat/P-47 Look.  See Adamisin's Mythbuster. Another way that seemed to work well for me was the setup on my Panther, which sort of mimicked the light airplane flat engine look. Notice the big outlet in the bottom.

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 11:33:02 AM »
Guys,
In order to determine the optimum cooling a few more facts are needed. First and foremost what is the best operating temperature for the ESC and the battery. It is a known fact that it can be too cold for the battery and sometimes way to hot for the ESC.
When you start feeding amps to the motor through the ESC heat is generated is there a ratio or base line that says for every ten amps or watts X amount of heat is generated at the ESC and pulling power from the battery creates a given amount of heat too is there a formula to determine this.
Reason why I ask is because if you can determine how much heat is generated then you can figure if the daytime ambient temp is 80 degrees and the plane is flying at 100 mph then your inlet size must be X amount of sq. inches and your exhaust must be approximately double that or bigger.
The placement of the inlet, size, and shape is also important whether you use forced air created by the prop, or centrifugal pump in the spinner (the pump idea while it may work robs rpm and might create more heat in the motor) or passive flow based on airspeed all these factors come into play.

Food for thought,

On Edit:
Here is a link that one may find useful for determining the inlet size
http://www.melmoth2.com/texts/NACA%20inlet%20sizing.htm

Scott  
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 02:44:28 PM by Scott Jenkins »
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 05:26:20 PM »
My biggest problem is preventing dirt from getting in my motors.  HB~> HB~>

John
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 06:17:17 PM »
John, John, JOhn, thats easy, dont play lawn darts with yoru airplanes man,,

will you be in Salem for the fall follies?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 09:37:03 PM »
Sounds good. The centrifugal compressor will pull the air in depending on the fin angle and direction of rotation. You are right although it is very effective when you go out from the center.

Awhile back Dean offered up the idea that we might be able to cool by pulling air forward through the motor, that is, pressurize the motor compartment ahead of the firewall then somehow force the air through the back of the motor and out the spinner.  Traian, your centrifugal fan concept could do such a thing, pulling air forward through the motor then venting it around the perifery of the spinner.  The inside to out flow would work to the strength of the centrifugal style fan too.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 08:10:48 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2010, 06:31:12 AM »
2 coments:

1/ when you design any pump on spinner bacplate, I recommend carefuly analyze pressures on inlet place and outlet place ... because otherwise can happen that the pump will battle with the aerodynamical pressure. It is easy to do on simple airfoil analyzer by modeling airfoil which has aproximate shape of the fuselage, it goues easy ... may be you will be suprised what is real pressure at spinner backplate  ;D  .... or even better, why not use that pressure gradient to design air flow inside  :!

2/ I flew in rain several times in rain, even one flight on WC. I am prepared for that, it is not so difficult how it looks. first of all it is necessary to shield all parts. It will prevent pressurized water to run in. Means ventilation inlets shoul be on side, not directly front of electronic, and if, then it needs some angled wall to separate heavy water drops out of electronics. Motor does not make problems with water. Well wrapped is also relatively safe. Timer can be well sealed. The real problem is ESC which can burn in case that water goes to FETs. We use Jeti spins which are 3 times covered (done specially for us C/L) but it is still not enough, ESC is in plastic heat shrink tube, so both sides needs to be sealed by silicone (neutral type for electronic) and ESC is then installed shielded by an agled wall. The only component which is exposed on rain is main switch, but the only thing which can happen is, that I cannot switch it off, what does not make problem for me, because I always disconnect the battery immediately after the flight. The most imprtant is, not to use ESC switch with "reversed logic" ... means that one when connected=off, in that case it is better not to use it at all, or make "normal" swith on timer leads.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:12 AM »
In none of m installations have I made any preparaton for rain - perhaps I need to think that through a bit more!  Unfortunately I have also been looking at new ways to improve ESC cooling that would also distrub the integrity of the shrink wrap.

Igor mentioned that even with triple sealing some water gets through.  My concern is that slightly ineffective sealing would also make it difficult for water to escape.  A little humudity trapped inside the ESC and heated by the ESC could become bad for the electronics.

It would not even have to be rainy - just humid.  As the ESC heats up it expands the ari around it inside the shrink wrap - that air flows out through what ever leak points exist.  As the ESC cools the air inside the ESC Wrap shrinks and draws in outside air. If that outside air is humid then it brings that water into the ESC.  Water needs to be kept out, and any water that gets in must be purged.

For a moment lets consider the other extreme.  What if we were to:
* Do all the good things Igor described to prevent any direct hits from large water droplets
* REMOVE the shrink wrap
* Rely on a free flow path, and the heat generated by the ESC to help keep it dried out.
* Of course in case of immersion...... PUNT!

I might "sacrifice" one of my Turnigy's to some testing...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2010, 10:22:44 AM »
The real problem is ESC which can burn in case that water goes to FETs.

. . .

but the only thing which can happen is, that I cannot switch it off
Have you experienced this?  I occasionally design switching amplifier circuits very similar to our ESC's, and the impedances involved are low enough that it'd take some pretty salty water to make a FET turn on incorrectly.  Unless you're in a place with severe pollution* I think you could immerse the ESC in rainwater and see it work perfectly -- if it didn't, it'd be because the motor sense circuit had problems, not because the FETs were getting turned on by water conductivity.

Ditto for a well designed on switch.

* Possibly enough that you'd keel over dead before it even started raining.
AMA 64232

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:25 AM »
Maybe there is a simpler solution. 

Why not wrap the ESC with its shrink wrap loosely in aluminum foil.  Seal both ends where wires come out.  The foil dissipates heat and is an effective barrier to moisture.  By loosely wrapping the ESC would always have room to breath.
PT Granderson

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 01:55:43 PM »
Why not wrap the ESC with its shrink wrap loosely in aluminum foil.  Seal both ends where wires come out.  The foil dissipates heat and is an effective barrier to moisture.  By loosely wrapping the ESC would always have room to breath.
Foils that aren't in direct contact with the material can actually be worse, because they entrain air which is a good insulator.  Seals are never perfect, so you may end up making something that can get wet, but can't get dried.

If there's someone out there with an extra ESC kicking around, stripping off the shrink wrap and seeing if it'll run a motor when it's in a glass of water would be a very educational exercise.  I'd do it, but I've got engines running out of my ears and just enough electronics to fly the electric planes that I already have.
AMA 64232

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 05:07:03 PM »

If there's someone out there with an extra ESC kicking around, stripping off the shrink wrap and seeing if it'll run a motor when it's in a glass of water would be a very educational exercise.  I'd do it, but I've got engines running out of my ears and just enough electronics to fly the electric planes that I already have.

Now why didn't I think of that!  I'll supply the glass but you will have to pay for shipping.
PT Granderson

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2010, 07:15:16 AM »
Well so much for stimulating some conversation about ventilation through investigation of the facts pertaining to heat transfer.

HB~>

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2010, 11:07:36 AM »
Hi Scott,
Let's see ... the motor and ESC are always best when kept cool as practical, and the battery is happiest between 100F and 120F.
All your other aspects are highly dependant on how well the cooling paths are laid out and built.

Properly ducted tightly around and through the motor, 1/4 square inch of inlet (as seen from directly in front of the plane) is adequate, even plenty, for a 60 ouncer that consumes 350 Watts on average. I'll bet 1/3 of a square inch would do if done properly.
The ESC probably only needs half that.
The battery probably needs maybe 1/3 of a square inch of inlet, for the same power levels.

Exit area? The temps we see cannot possibly lead to more than a 10% increase in cooling air volume as a result of heating. If the outlet hole area (AS VIEWED FROM DIRECTLY BEHIND THE MODEL) is 10% greater than the inlet, you are golden. If it looks like a static port (big hole on the bottom) then you are back to the 2X or 3X inlet area rule of thumb, and you are making lots of drag without actually controlling the cooling outflow. Heck, with a big hole on the bottom, a series of continuous inside loops might choke the airflow and cause overheating.

Of course, if you just blow some air into a cavern full of parts and then just let it spill out, you are in terra incognita.

I remember the Melmouth 1 construction/design articles!
take care,
Dean P.

Dean Pappas

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »
Or perhaps terra ferventia.
AMA 64232

Offline TDM

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2010, 05:39:43 AM »

I have been thinking ever since you said that and now I am strongly considering reversing the airflow from the back to the front.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2010, 02:56:24 PM »
Hi Traian,

COWL FLAPS

I think we should consider using "cowl flaps" on our ECL planes. If we make them adjustable, like we do with our adjustable rudders, we can control much of our cooling to match the OAT changes through out the year. Like Dean pointed out, "a hole in the bottom of the plane is not the ideal". A hole does work, but it is far from optimal. In FS piston planes it is amazing how much of an impact small cowl flaps can have on engine temps. I have cowl flaps on my 30 lb. gas planes and they work great in the desert heat. I think these would help cool all our ECL parts much better than what we are doing now. We have plenty of extra power with our E systems, so we can afford to have the small additional drag of a small cowl flap, especially at our very low CL speeds (55 mph). 

MOTOR FANS

These simple, light, inexpensive exhaust fans seem to be all our motors need to keep their cool.  8) 

There are excellent fan units available from AXI, Hacker, and Plentenberg. They all seem to "expel" the air, thus sucking it in from the other end. Most of my motors use this type of fan. All but one are in the rear, one Plentenberg has the fan in the front, I have not flown this one yet. Kim has used these with the fan up front and says it still works fine.

I try to direct my incoming air flow to the intake end of the motor with very simple, (primitive?, ;-) ducting. Then I just try to imagine the most logical exit for the air that is expelled by the fan, and provide some exit holes near the radius of the fan. This is in addition to more rearward exits. 

We can not use the cooling example of the hundreds of thousands of ERC planes out there because their motors get frequent cooling by having a contestant airflow while the motor is often run at idle, or low TH. While our ECL motors are run at high TH settings for 6 min., often in close cowls.

BUT, we do have thousands of examples of a model that has a MUCH more demanding environment for our motors than ECL. The modern 3D ERC helicopter motor often has very little airflow going over it while being run at max TH for long periods of time with little or NO rest periods. Almost all of them use FANs that expel air out one end, thus sucking it in from the other end. I watch these fly all the time in HOT thin air when I fly at our RC field in LV. This proves to me that using these FANs for our ECL motors, that are operating in a relatively benign environment, are more than enough of a solution to the cooling problem.  ... of course your milage may vary.  ;)

Regards,  H^^   
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 03:49:37 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
Re: ventilation - do we have some average temperatures?
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 08:37:40 AM »
How about some temperature readings? We are running Plettenberg 25/12 motor, Schulze 18.46 and 18.61 ESC with Thunderpower 5s 3900 Mah batteries.

Average temperatures after 6 minute flight:

Motor: 120 degrees Fahrenheit
ESC: 115 degrees Fahrenheit
Battery: 110 degrees Fahrenheit

We are flying in the HOT Florida sun (92-95 ambient air temp) and measurement of the temperature is accomplished with a laser temperature gauge directly on the components immediately after flight.

Does anyone have recommended safe temperature ranges?

Jim Smith

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
If you really want to know what the temp readings are in flight here is a cheap probe that the RC cars guys use.
I have one and used it on one of my F2C models to check engine temps and make adjustments to inlet and exhaust ducts.

http://www.rcplanet.com/Venom_Cell_Micro_Temp_Monitor_Onboard_p/vnr0601.htm

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ventilation - do we have some average temperatures?
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2010, 02:10:16 PM »
How about some temperature readings? We are running Plettenberg 25/12 motor, Schulze 18.46 and 18.61 ESC with Thunderpower 5s 3900 Mah batteries.

Average temperatures after 6 minute flight:

Motor: 120 degrees Fahrenheit
ESC: 115 degrees Fahrenheit
Battery: 110 degrees Fahrenheit

We are flying in the HOT Florida sun (92-95 ambient air temp) and measurement of the temperature is accomplished with a laser temperature gauge directly on the components immediately after flight.

Does anyone have recommended safe temperature ranges?

Jim Smith

Hi Jim,

Considering your high OATs, your system temps are very good. They are all within safe limits.

In answer to your question, the rough rule of thumb for all three items is:

IF YOU CAN TOUCH IT FOR SEVERAL SECONDS WITHOUT PAIN THEN YOU ARE OK.

(I suggest using your left hand if your right handed, please don't ask how I came to this conclusion  n~)

BTW: Normal human touch without pain is roughly somewhere between 115 to 125

The temp numbers are:

MOTOR 

The Ideal world for our motors would be somewhere colder than 100 degrees below ZERO.  n~  ....... For our purposes up to 130 F is still OK without doing any serious damage to the magnets or epoxy. When you pass between 150 to 180 you are shortening the life of the motor and lowering it's performance permanently. When you pass 180 to 220 there is a high risk of epoxy failure and having one or more magnets cause some serious damage inside your motor. It should come as no surprise that there is a wide variance between the very cheap motors and the higher quality motors like Plentenberg, Hacker, AXI, etc. when it comes to temp. tolerance. 

ESC

These magical wonderful devices should be kept under 120 F. Best is as cool as possible. They will tolerate higher temps, but they are subject to problems/failure if they overheat. Over 140 to 180 and trouble is sure to follow.  :'( 

BATTERY

The opposite from the above is true here. They like to be "warm". Their ideal world is somewhere between 90 F to 115 F.  If they are below about 50 to 55 F you should try to warm them up. (search this site for methods guys use to do this). You will NOT have full power available if your batteries are below 50 to 55 F, and it goes down fast from here.
This means that, for many, they may have to make sure the airflow to the battery is decreased during cold WX flying to keep the battery above this 50 to 55F temp. At the higher end, our batteries do not like high temps either. Above 130 to 140F and you begin to shorten their life span. Above 150 to 160 F and they become very unhappy.

Easy gauge:  If it hurts to touch it, it is too hot ...... If your tongue sticks to it when you lick it, then it is too cold.  D>K

MEASURING TEMPS

Scotts suggestion is excellent. In addition to mail-order, these inexpensive temp gauges can be purchased at most LHS that carry RC Cars. They are usually more accurate than the hand held gauges. (The hand held gauges are OK for our use, the other is just a little better.) If you are really interested in monitoring and controlling your systems temps, then you may want to use the outstanding "Eagle Tree" onboard system. Many on this site have used it. It records ALL temps, RPM, Amps, A/C speed, etc. and plays them back on your computer and or plots a graph for your entire flight.

The temp #s I have given above are from reading many mfg. sites, and talking with my ERC flying friends who are aerospace engineers, and from personal experiences and experiments.  ..... Of course, your milage may vary.  ;)

Regards,  H^^

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 10:17:57 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2010, 02:51:12 PM »
Motor has also bearing, which is also not happy extremely hot. Motor can survive shortly high temperature (magnets, wire insulation etc) but that temperature is typically killer for bearing if it runs long time.

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 07:07:14 AM »
Randy,
Thanks, now if I could find someone to build one of these with two thermocouples one for the inlet side and one for the exhaust with an RPM sensor for testing on my F2C gear in a less than 30 gram package.

<=  <=  <=

Scott
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:50:16 AM by Scott Jenkins »
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122

Offline Stuntflyn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 08:19:38 AM »
Motor has also bearing, which is also not happy extremely hot. Motor can survive shortly high temperature (magnets, wire insulation etc) but that temperature is typically killer for bearing if it runs long time.

Hi Igor,

Are you saying 120 degrees is too hot for long term bearing life? We can certainly touch the motor for several seconds after each flight. What is the maximum temperature you like to reduce the chance of premature bearing failure? I know you have a lot of experience with electrics, so your opinion is certainly valuable.

Thanks - Jim Smith

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 10:43:36 AM »
I can say 2 things:

1/ Once I spoke with Mr. Vaclavik (AXI boss) on field when we wanted push him to AXI 2826/13. And one of points he wanted to know was the temperature. My AXI 2826 had after flight 60degrees Celsia AT BEARING ... we measured it by infra thermometer. The rotor was ~10-15 degrees colder. He told us that it is temperature on edge. Motor survived ~400 flights and when retired, bearing does not show any wear.

2/ Scorpion 3020 which I had this seasone and which is clearly overloaded goes regularly to 90 degree Celsia, in hot days up to 100, need new bearing, it is clear when I turn the prop.

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 01:46:07 PM »
Hi Igor,

Are you saying 120 degrees is too hot for long term bearing life? We can certainly touch the motor for several seconds after each flight. What is the maximum temperature you like to reduce the chance of premature bearing failure? I know you have a lot of experience with electrics, so your opinion is certainly valuable.

Thanks - Jim Smith

Note that Igor's 100 degrees is much hotter that 'our' 120 degrees ...
Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 02:01:08 PM »
sorry

60deg C = 140F
100deg C= 212F

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:59 PM »
Hi Igor,

Thanks. ..... Your bearings and motor were HOT AS THE  VD~

I should have listed my temps in C as well as in F #s. Sometimes we ethnocentric Americans forget that not only are we less than 5% of the worlds population but that we still use a very illogical measuring system that is not used by the other 95% of the worlds population. As a teacher, I can only hope that someday we join the rest of the world and use your very logical system of measurement.  y1   

My suggestion for max motor temps should have read: touch without pain (around 120 f or 49 C ).

BTW: I want to be sure to give credit for this good "Rule of Thumb" idea to our GREAT LEADER, Dean Pappas. He is the 1st one that I know of who told us this years ago on this forum. From everything I have read, and your comments Igor, Dean's easy to remember, easy to measure, rule is still SPOT ON! Thanks Dean, your still cool.  8)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 01:39:42 AM »
That is right, just remember that bearing is much warmer than surface of the motor. I was abble to get in to the bearing, because I have an adjustable adaptor between firewall and motor (I had there OS LA47 mounter on firewall before) so the back bearing is on eyes.

Offline Robert-Jan

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2010, 10:03:34 AM »
About water.

I did a contest with my new timer.
The logger V2 from sparkfun.com
It has 3 G sensors Current and voltage logging.
It was the first contest with this timer on my cardinal.
Well the last flight it started to rain.
The timer stopped after the double wing over  >:D
There was water on the micro controller.
After drying every thing worked again.
The old timer I sprayed with some kind of plastic protection stuff.
I had never a problem with this one.
But on this one I am still working so......

Greetings Robert-Jan

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 10:26:37 AM »
Do not you know what is preservative for? ... to preserve from unwanted drops  LL~

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here