News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:48:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transgender Batteries  (Read 1064 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Transgender Batteries
« on: August 17, 2023, 08:43:33 PM »
I have had since spring a set of 7, TP 5 cell 2600 batteries.  I didn't  flyi for a bit and came back and found that I now have 4, 5 cell batteries and 3 that have switched gender to 4 cell  Each of these batteries had a cell die.  What did I do wrong.?  Is is typical for one cell out of a pack to go bad?  If I leave a battery that is completed charging, inadvertently left to idle on the charger too long, will it drain back through the output of the charger?

Also, since the battery thinks its 4 cell, can I use it as a 4 cell?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Transgender Batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 11:03:23 PM »
I have taken batteries apart and replaced the bad cells. With 3 bad ones you could build 2 useable ones. You had better know what you're doing before you start though. It's slow going to separate the cells with naptha and a thin wooden wedge. Then there's the insulation and soldering them live. Tedious work. If I had your money I'd drain them with a car tail light bulb, solder the 2 leads together and throw them out and buy new ones. Next time don't leave then on the charger when they're done.

MM 8)

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2023, 10:09:59 AM »
I have had since spring a set of 7, TP 5 cell 2600 batteries.  I didn't  flyi for a bit and came back and found that I now have 4, 5 cell batteries and 3 that have switched gender to 4 cell  Each of these batteries had a cell die.  What did I do wrong.?  Is is typical for one cell out of a pack to go bad?  If I leave a battery that is completed charging, inadvertently left to idle on the charger too long, will it drain back through the output of the charger?

Also, since the battery thinks its 4 cell, can I use it as a 4 cell?
Frank:
I had a TP 5s 2800 register as a 4 cell on my charger and refuse to charge.  On the battery checker it showed 5 cells, 4 at around 3.5v and one at 1.2v.  It would not charge, balance charge, discharge, or storage charge but it would "balance".  I left it on balance till the good cells approached 3.0 and it came up to 2.4, just under the li-ion threshold.  I tried a balance charge as a li-ion and it worked.  I let that run till I was over 3.2 on all 5 cells then shut it off and balance charged as a Lipo.  It is back at the tail end of the rotation, but I suspect it will die of old age sooner than the rest.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 01:21:07 PM »
Not positive as I have not been using TP batteries , but I think they may be covered under a warrenty. I would contact them and ask.
AMA 98010

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks Guys for your inputs

The batteries are more than 6 mos old,,, so no warranty

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 09:34:52 AM »
Frank, can you be more specific on the details of the "dead" cells? When I was working at the hobby shop, we often found individual cells with the voltage lower than what the charger would accept or acknowledge. We found that we could charge the individual "bad" cells through the balance plug and bring them back up to where the charger would accept them as part of the pack. Of course, never leave charging batteries unattended.

Offline Douglas Bykoff

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 09:50:42 AM »
Hi.

Before condemning the battery, make sure the sum of the cells is the same as the battery voltage.

Then, with the aid of a multimeter, measure the voltage of each cell directly on the balancing connector.

This happened to me last week A new battery was left with a cell at 1.25v. It was an issue with an extender cable that I use for charging. I was puzzled why the charger showed the cell at 1.25v and not Ov. But there must be an explanation for this.

DouglasB

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2023, 01:09:49 AM »
Frank, if that battery is really transgender, you'd need to switch the + and - outputs, but I don't think that's allowed in Texas. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here