News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:17:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TP 610C charger giving "wrong voltage or cell count" and will not charge  (Read 703 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I was starting to charge a new HobbyStar 5S 1600mah 120C pack with my Thunder Power 610C AC/DC charger and keep getting an error message "wrong voltage or cell count" and it won't charge. I checked the pack voltage 18.31V off the cell and at both the end of the charging wires before they go into the unit. It was able to check the balance between the cell all good it knows it is a 5S pack. I cleaned the contacts and no change. I then took a TP 5S  1350 25C pack and plugged it in, charged with no problem. Switched back to the 1600 pack and same error message. Any suggestions?

Best,    DennisT

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
I had a problem similar once.  Mine was a bad balance wire to one cell with intermittent contact.  The way the cell sat when on the charger made the contact worse.  Try moving each balance wire around.  Try another charger or circuit next.
Fred

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
 had the same error message earlier this month on two batteries that were fully charged, and I was pulling them down to storage.  Apparently, they were over charged.  I put them in the plane and ran them for 20 seconds and everything worked.  Never seen that before or since.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Did you solder the deans on backwards?

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
MM,
Polarity is correct, checked it with a voltage meter. I have had this with other cells and it was the balancer connection.

I have another charger and will try it. Glad to hear others have had this problem if we solve it maybe it will help others. Thinking about it, might be the balancer block or its connection into the charger.

Best,   DennisT

UPDATE: I tried changing the balancer block from my old TP610 and it still gave the same error. I just tried using the old TP610 from the power supply and its charging just fine. I will contact Thunder Power and see what they say and post back what I find out.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
 After cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner, I tested to connection to the ESC in my ship and no go. I checked the contact with another deans plug and had full contact and voltage. I check both sides of the deans plug leads and there was no resistance on the ohm meter. Then I checked plug channels, it seems the deans plugs I bought have a very narrow channel in the plastic housing. Some plugs slide in easily and some very tight. I think this is where the problem is.

Seems the plugs that are very tight don't make contact as it is being held up and not being pushed down on the internal contact. I have started to use a knife blade to scrap the sides of the plug to allow full contact. Anyone else find this with some deans connectors? How can the housing be opened - heat like a solder gun heating a thin blade screwdriver?

Best,   DennisT

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
After cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner, I tested to connection to the ESC in my ship and no go. I checked the contact with another deans plug and had full contact and voltage. I check both sides of the deans plug leads and there was no resistance on the ohm meter. Then I checked plug channels, it seems the deans plugs I bought have a very narrow channel in the plastic housing. Some plugs slide in easily and some very tight. I think this is where the problem is.

Seems the plugs that are very tight don't make contact as it is being held up and not being pushed down on the internal contact. I have started to use a knife blade to scrap the sides of the plug to allow full contact. Anyone else find this with some deans connectors? How can the housing be opened - heat like a solder gun heating a thin blade screwdriver?

Best,   DennisT
Yes - I bought a cheap batch (sometimes we never learn) and had that problem with a few.  I mated pairs and checked the resistance.  Trashed the really bad ones and filed down the contacts on their male counterparts.  No More Cheapies, in fact I think I am switching to XT-60.  Easier to solder and we have had several Deans failures recently in our group.

I absolutely HATE soldering batteries.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here