Electric Stunt > Gettin all AMP'ed up!

Tom Dixon Tutor Too - electrified!

(1/5) > >>

Steve Berry:
Ok, I just mentioned it over on the finishing board. I'm going to finally build & finish a plane, after many false starts due to loss of building space. I've chose one of the Tom Dixon Tutor Too quick build profile kits. I'll be converting it to electric, and it'll be my first electric plane, so starting from scratch. I don't have a whole lot of specs on the plane just yet, but I believe it would be happy with a .46LA or ST G-51, so electric equivalent of that.

I could use some suggestions for:
motor size, either Cobra or Badass
battery
ESC
timer
programmers
charger

Stuff I'm pretty sure about:
3D-printed motor mount from Okie Air
control system from Okie Air, but could use suggestions on bellcrank size (3" or 4"?), standard control horns, or the surface mount Dubro-style, etc.
handle & lines from Okie Air, as well

Once everything arrives, I'll start a build thread on it. I'm also thinking of doing a short video series on it, in the style of Windy (minus the mundane day-to-day life stuff).

One other thing - I'm currently considering doing an Ultracote finish with fiberglass reinforcement on the wing under the covering. Will Ultracote actually stick to a fiberglassed surface, and will the weave show through?
Oh, and the colors I'm considering are cream for the bulk of the airframe, with flaps, elevators, and rudder green or red. Should be pretty sharp when finished. Hope it lives long enough to wear out.

Steve

Dennis Nunes:
Hi Steve,

You might be interested in reading an article that I wrote about "Turning to the Darkside - The Building of Circulas 46 IIe - An Electric Profile". This article can be downloaded from the flyinglines.org website at http://flyinglines.org/nunes.circulas46lle.html

The article is about my decisions, issues, design and construction of my first electric plane.

Enjoy,

Dennis

Steve Berry:
Funny you should mention that. I was pouring over your build last week. That's part of what motivated me to get it. From what I can tell, they are about the same size, so I may simply flatter you and steal your setup for my plane. I'm not expecting it to be a world-beater. Shoot, I'm not even really expecting it to last more than about a year (I'm still trying to come back from about a 16 year layoff from flying). I do want it to be about the best that I can do at the moment, though.

Dennis Nunes:

--- Quote from: Steve Berry on April 26, 2021, 08:29:42 AM ---Funny you should mention that. I was pouring over your build last week. That's part of what motivated me to get it. From what I can tell, they are about the same size, so I may simply flatter you and steal your setup for my plane. I'm not expecting it to be a world-beater. Shoot, I'm not even really expecting it to last more than about a year (I'm still trying to come back from about a 16 year layoff from flying). I do want it to be about the best that I can do at the moment, though.

--- End quote ---
Take whatever you like, there is no patent on anything on this plane! Most of what I used was stolen borrowed from someone else.  ;D

Dennis

Steve Berry:

--- Quote from: Motorman on April 26, 2021, 08:45:57 AM ---What's the wing area on the Tutor

--- End quote ---

Well, it's supposed to be based on the TopFlite Tutor II ARF, which according the 'net is about a 54" span and something like 594 sq. in. Per the ad, it calls for a .40-.51 size engine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version