News:

• April 18, 2024, 01:41:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tom Dixon Tutor Too - Build Log  (Read 1007 times)

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Tom Dixon Tutor Too - Build Log
« on: May 25, 2021, 05:20:39 PM »
It begins.

Gathering everything needed to get started on this build, and today my motor mounts came in. I designed these in Solidworks and had them 3D-printed. The little aluminum inserts I got from McMaster-Carr. These should work just fine for both a 25x25mm pattern and a 19x25 pattern.

Assuming these work well, I can have more printed for others.

Steve

Edit: Forgot to mention that they are PA12 Glass Beads. Finish is matte, and the overall quality seems to be fantastic.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tom Dixon Tutor Too - Build Log
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 09:05:19 AM »
Very interesting motor bolt pattern.  The big question is how expensive is 3D printing (material cost).  Also the prosses is slow so large volume is a problem.  However, as I understand it you don't have to stand and watch it print. So it can print while you sleep.  Anyway looks like 3D printing has a good place in our hobby.  I have used one printed motor mount and it works great.   y1   D>K  You said that you "had them printed".   Is there 3D printing services?  Is the cost reasonable?
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 11:45:07 AM »
Hi Steve,
Any idea of cost per unit assuming ordering 10 to 20 at a time?

Mikey

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 11:48:55 AM »
The actual printing is not that expensive. These run about $20 or so, each. But, priority printing (moving it up in the printing service print queue) and shipping and tax upped the final cost for 2 mounts to about $73. Economy of scale drops the per piece cost down to a reasonable amount.

The service I used is Shapeways.com, but there's others out there, and they all have a variety of materials to choose from to have stuff printed. I chose PA12 glass bead because it was about the cheapest that they offered, it has good strength, and has good dimensional stability. Also, I figured if glass-filled nylon is good for props (Master Airscrew) and R/C mounts, it's probably good for this, too. You could have stuff printed in steel, aluminum, gold, platinum, or a near endless variety of plastics. It's really your choice.

The mount is made for a 1/2" fuselage. I did a simple test fit last night, and for the Tutor Too, I will only need a 1/16" or so shim. A little bit of minor trimming on the doublers will also be needed to fit around the nose ring. The nose ring is purely optional - this can be printed with a flat "disc" on the front if desired. As far as motors go, if it has a 25x25mm or 19x25mm bolt pattern it should fit in this mount. The actual opening can fit a motor shell that's 44mm diameter x 57mm long. Provisions can made for a rear bearing (cost would go up accordingly).

Today, I get my building room back (long story, please don't ask, I'm trying to form a mental block around it) so construction will begin this evening once I'm off from work.

Steve

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
Hi Steve,
Any idea of cost per unit assuming ordering 10 to 20 at a time?

Mikey

Ordering 10 at a time makes the cost ~$23.97 each. Ordering 20 lowers cost to $23.43 each. Ordering 30 makes it $23.25 each. Given that, I would be willing to sell them for about $25 each, plus shipping. Other do-dads can be made the same way. Perhaps a thin platform for mounting the ESC and Timer on. Of course, that could be done in lite-ply without much issue. Just thinking out loud on other stuff that could be printed. Line reels, handle cores, whatever else you can think of.

If I put in an order for others, I would definitely need payment up front so I'm not left holding the bag. I'm thinking as a test unit, ordering 10 as a group would be easily doable (~$240 total, shipped to my door).

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2021, 12:48:20 PM »
Steve,
Thank for your help Steve, at 25.00 per mount might be a little to much for me.  I was thinking about including it in my newest kit but that would raise the cost of the kit too much, however it’s Pretty Cool Mount.  For a one-off build it may be the way to go but at this point a laser cut plywood mount is still much cheaper and included in the kit.

Thanks,
Mikey

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 04:09:20 PM »
https://okieair.com/   sells printed motor mounts for 20 bucks.  The only problem is they are for a particular motor.  Of course any brand with the same bolt pattern will work.  You are correct is saying "not good for a kit".   However for scratch built or after market it is a good price.  As with any hobby the only limit in cost is how deep is your pocket.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2021, 10:03:55 AM »
https://okieair.com/   sells printed motor mounts for 20 bucks.  The only problem is they are for a particular motor.  Of course any brand with the same bolt pattern will work.  You are correct is saying "not good for a kit".   However for scratch built or after market it is a good price.  As with any hobby the only limit in cost is how deep is your pocket.

Hi John,
I get what you are saying, but to raise the price of a kit even $20.00 might just put off a customer.  The current process of the raising price of good wood and laser cutting time limits the price of a kit (having to pay an additional just for a mount would in my experience will kill the some of the sales).  When you consider the cost of the parts that will do the same job , it doesn’t warrant the use or cost.  While I like the mount it’s an easy thing to to switch over to if they (the customer) want to.

Example;
My Primary Force short kit.,
The increase in balsa prices & laser cut times, 120.00 plus shipping.
Add $20.00 for a printed motor mount (???).

As you can see I’m not getting rich on this, but doing this because I like doing it and feel passionate about the about the sport I like Love so much.  It’s artistry, presentation, and skill it takes to build and fly these types models, is what it’s all about and being around like minded people,

Later,
Mikey

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 11:09:05 AM »
A sub $300 FDM printer can print usable motor mounts (and other parts) for about $1 worth of filament.  If you have the 3D CAD skills you can take full advantage of the possibilities that 3D printing has to offer.   Then it becomes a very useful tool for your shop.
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Steve Berry

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 01:34:50 PM »
Guys, I think we're getting just a little off topic here. Hopefully I'll have some updates to follow tonight.

Steve

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here