« on: April 09, 2013, 10:56:02 AM »
blank
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:36:50 PM by Motorman »

Offline Robertc

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Tail Dragger Retracks
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 12:23:32 PM »
Are you asking if anyone has retracts for the tail wheel, or anyone done retracts on conventional gear?

Offline paul winter

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 02:25:25 PM »
 hi
i have and its dead simple to

i ran a cable 8 thou from one u/c leg to the tail wheel as the main leg went up so did the tail wheel ....simples ... ;D

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 05:33:32 PM »
I tested a set of retracts using the KR timer with retract capability.  It was just a test so the LG was mounted external to the wing.  My question is how do you mount the inboard wing retract in the wing and still get the lead outs from the bell crank to the wing tip.  The retract unit and the wheel seem to be right in the path of at least one lead out.  The problem goes away if you build a twin and mount the gear in the nacelles, but in a standard single engine configuration not so easy.

The retracts are still sitting in the drawer waiting for a solution to this problem.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
I tested a set of retracts using the KR timer with retract capability.  It was just a test so the LG was mounted external to the wing.  My question is how do you mount the inboard wing retract in the wing and still get the lead outs from the bell crank to the wing tip.  The retract unit and the wheel seem to be right in the path of at least one lead out.  The problem goes away if you build a twin and mount the gear in the nacelles, but in a standard single engine configuration not so easy.

The retracts are still sitting in the drawer waiting for a solution to this problem.
Andy

Hey Andy -- I'm just visualizing this in my head, but if the retracts were in the vicinity of the spar and not too far out from the fuse, wouldn't the inboard one be between the leadouts?  You could angle the retract unit to get the wheel where it needed to be.

It seems like you could also mount the bellcrank high in the wing so the retracts would be under it, for the price of a bit more of an angle at the leadout guide.

If you were willing to make room in the fuselage, and if you could figure out the mechanics you could do some Cessna 177RG-style retracts, or some F4F-style ones.

I'm not saying we should all run out and install retracts, mind you, even if they could be made to fit.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 07:14:38 PM »
I've built four conventional gear retracts.   Three retracted into the wing and one retracted backwards into a nacelle (twin).  In the wing, just had to watch where the spar was,
when I put in the rectracts.  I have them just in front of the spar.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 07:08:32 PM »
Andy
Another solution is to change the location of the bellcrank for and aft. You can move it aft in the wing until you get clearance. Or alternatively you can go to an f-16 like setup in the fuse. I have done this in an rc ducted fan. Of course a much larger fuse to work with. Could be done in a t-rex size fuse though and brought up into the pipe area.

bob branch

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »
With my gear retracted into the wing, the front lead out was just above the wheel.  Did not touch, but it was close.
I had the same thoughts about the wheel hitting the lead out, but it turned out to be a non-issue in my case.

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2013, 06:48:51 PM »
Robert
Is there any chance you have pictures of your installation, I would be very interested in seeing how you did it.  For that matter if anybody has pictures of an actual installation that would be greatly appreciated.  Like the old saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words".
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Jim Fruit

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2013, 07:24:06 PM »
Robert
Is there any chance you have pictures of your installation, I would be very interested in seeing how you did it.  For that matter if anybody has pictures of an actual installation that would be greatly appreciated.  Like the old saying goes "A picture is worth a thousand words".
Andy

Andy:

Attached are some pictures of my retract system for my C45J (Beech D18). The two mains were retracted by two servos on a Y-harness. The two yellow cables retracted the mains. A steel rod actuated by one of the servos retracted the tail wheel. The two main retracts mounted slightly below the bottom wing skin. I had to cut holes in the bottom skin to clear the mains when retracted. They still cleared the leadouts. The whole system was controlled by one of Clancy Arnold's U-tronics systems.

Jim Fruit

Offline Robertc

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:19:41 PM »
Here's a pic of the inboard retract.  This plane was built in 2002 and used mechanical retracts (Robart)
You can see the pushrod that goes to the retract and in the middle of the spar, you can make out the leadout.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here