News:

• June 17, 2024, 02:39:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ring Rat 250  (Read 10715 times)

Offline Darkstar1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Ring Rat 250
« on: December 24, 2010, 02:42:47 PM »
Look what just got dropped off at my my door step just in time for Xmas. This is the Ring Rat 250 by Stevens Aero. I was just glancing at the latest MA looking at the review of their smaller Ring Rat which I already have. And I noticed in passing that they come out with a larger size Ring Rat. So I couldn't resist. Will probably get it started this weekend.
Later,
Evolve or get left behind!

Offline Jeff Traxler

• T-Bone
  • 2019 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Ring Rat 250
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 05:12:38 PM »
Hi Darrel,I was looking at the smaller one from the article yesterday.How does it fly??The article says it won't do loops, but the builtup wing suggests otherwise.As for the RR 250.Did everything in the pics come with it or can you just get the kit??.I already have motors,batteries,ect.Thanx,Jeff
If you wanna sing the blues(Fly Stunt) you gotta pay your dues and "I know it don't come easy"

Offline Robert Jones

• Ensign
  • AMA 34191
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 08:34:43 AM »
I see Stevens Aero has a little combat ship called the "Scram"! Has anyone here flown it? If so how did you like it?

Seriously considering getting the combo deal.
http://www.stevensaero.com/Control-Line-p-1-c-319.html
"Is That Remote Control Or Does It Fly On Strings?"

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »
I believe the little one can do loops. But I haven't had a chance to try yet. On the web site there is a video that shows it doing some tricks. But for now I'm just going to use it to do slow level laps for teaching others how to fly. Ill have two different sets of lines. 22 ft just long enough to fly on top of the parking garage at work and a 30-35 ft set for training.
Later,

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 05:16:30 PM »
Well the Rat is done, Here are a few construction pics and the finished product and an appearance by the other member of my rat pack.
Later,

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 10:51:18 PM »
HI Darrell,

I like the "Vintage Look" of that one! ;D

Looking at the Combo on the site, it appears that you have to get the battery separately. ???

Thanks,
Big Bear

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 10:34:08 AM »
Thats right they have to be bought separately.
Later,

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 09:05:45 AM »
Thats right they have to be bought separately.

Hi Darrell, 

I'm new to electric, so I am not used to "what to expect".  In my own world of "marketing" ideas, I would include "everything".  They don't leave the battery out of an Enzo when you buy one!  LOL!!!!

I really do like the looks of it!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2011, 06:12:56 AM »
Hi Darrell,

Just finishing up a RR 250 myself, really fun little kit to build. Have you flown your's yet? Hope to fly mine this weekend and see how it goes.

John
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2011, 11:31:37 AM »
Have U run your setup yet? On mine I experienced esc problems that knocked out the timer. So I had to use a Phoenix Thunderbird controller and a FM-9 Timer (Profile). Everything has been working so far. With the Hubin timer I can run longer than 3 minutes.Have run it up to 5 min so far and used only 60% of the battery. I haven't been out to fly it yet
fields too wet and mushy and cold. The ESCs and timers were sent back to Stevens and they will send me a new timer
to put back on the small ring rat which has been working flawlessly.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 12:11:18 PM »
Hey Darrell,
Sorry for the delay, forgot I posted here!

I did fly her, got a little break in the weather here in Austin on Sunday so took her out for a couple of quick one minute shake down flights. I tried it with a couple of different set-ups and it flew great. What a wonderful little plane, I came into work Monday morning and ordered another one for my son.

Here is the first flight with the stock 3-blade prop and a 2S Lipo;

Stock 3-blade with a 3S Lipo;

And the BEAST-using an APC 8-4 prop and 3S Lipo;
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
Hey John,
Those were some awesome flights. Especially with the 8x4 APC. Looks like U needed the full 52 ft set of lines.
Just a couple of questions. What kind of 3s batteries were you using and did you put those batteries on the nose
or in the wing.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
Hi Darrell,

Thank you, was just taking it easy and feeling her out-I'm well know for "Lawn Darting" so I was careful.

The batteries were 2S and 3S Hyperions right from StevensAero, I like them as they can be charged at 5C and just seem to hold up well. I've had some of the cheaper batteries fail on me before so I avoid the cheap China stuff. The battery was still mounted up front for all of these flights. I'll move it back into the wing a bit later.

Man it just screams with the 8x4 prop, I think the 7x5 just might be perfect. The 3S packs were 1100 and 1300 mah and were mounted up front. I'm eventually going to open up the panel and put them in the wing but not at the moment as it's just great the way it is.

If you use a 2S pack, mount it up front and use the recommended 3 blade prop she's just as docile as a baby kitten, could easily be used to train even the most stubborn student she's so smooth. Beleive it or not I now have two more on the way-wife wanted one too!! :D
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 03:39:17 PM by JohnPrator »

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 03:32:32 PM »
John,
I have some 2s Hyperions already. I'm sure I can get a 3s also Hyperions or two from the LHS more power & longer flight time never hurts! CANT WAIT LL~
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:20 AM »
Darrell,

Those 2S packs will work great, you'll just have quite a bit more power with the 3S packs. If your LHS doesn't have the 3S packs Stevens Aero does have some of them in stock and they ship quickly.

If you can get us a video of you flying that baby, can't wait to hear your report! Good luck and enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 05:45:13 AM by JohnPrator »

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 10:42:52 AM »

Man it just screams with the 8x4 prop, I think the 7x5 just might be perfect. The 3S packs were 1100 and 1300 mah and were mounted up front. I'm eventually going to open up the panel and put them in the wing but not at the moment as it's just great the way it is.

If you use a 2S pack, mount it up front and use the recommended 3 blade prop she's just as docile as a baby kitten, could easily be used to train even the most stubborn student she's so smooth. Believe it or not I now have two more on the way-wife wanted one too!! :D
John,

Thanks for posting the three videos.  I've just finished up my RR250, so it was really useful to have a "look-see" at your experimentation with the options.  A question comes up for me, tho' after watching.  How did you have the RPM pot for the three different flights?  Had you dialed the E-Flite timer all the way to highest RPM?  Especially for the 8x4/3S configuration.

Thanks,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell
Huntsville, AL  AMA 545805

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 04:25:16 PM »
Hi Jim,

You're going to love the RR, great plane-I now have two more on the way! I've been bugging them for a RR 500, ohh my what fun she'd be! ;D

That's a good question and I totally forgot about what I had done; I had turned the little pot down to what I felt was an acceptable level judging by nothing more than the pull for the first flight with the 3-blade/2S pack(I do not have a tach yet). I never touched it again so it was left on that original setting for all three videos/flights. I would guess it was at around 60-70%, so, there's still more go go juice left in that baby-thank God I didn't crank it up with the 8x4/3S!! Holy cow, not sure I want to go there right now!

John

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 04:45:28 PM »
     I've been bugging them for a RR 500, ohh my what fun she'd be! ;D

That's a good question and I totally forgot about what I had done; I had turned the little pot down to what I felt was an acceptable level judging by nothing more than the pull for the first flight with the 3-blade/2S pack(I do not have a tach yet). I never touched it again so it was left on that original setting for all three videos/flights. I would guess it was at around 60-70%, so, there's still more go go juice left in that baby-thank God I didn't crank it up with the 8x4/3S!! Holy cow, not sure I want to go there right now!

John,

Thanks for the response.

I'm planning to send an email to Bill Stevens about the larger size as well.

I'm always curious to know the current levels, so put an Astro-Flight Wattmeter in the system using the stock 3-blade and the stock 1100/2s, and dialed the RPM pot to the max RPM setting and ran it for a 1 minute timer setting.  My readings were oscillating around the 16 amp point.  Since it was my first time to mess with the E-Flite timer, I didn't do much else.  I was flailing with my tach and messed up, not getting a reading on the proper 3-blade setting until right at the end, so I don't know what the actual RPM was.  After I get back from travel, I intend to get a 3S and will take a number of current/RPM measurements for both batteries and a couple of props for consideration.

Later,
Jim
Jim Howell

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
Hi Jim,

I picked up a "Watts Up" meter this weekend and am not sure as to where I place this thing to check what amps/watts I'm pulling. Is it place in-between the battery and ESC? Thanks for the help.

PS-Waiting to see some videos/flight reports from you two on your RR's!!

ETA: Ok, went to the maker of the Watts Up meter and found out how to use it correctly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 10:40:32 AM by JohnPrator »

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
Everyone,
I just finally went out to the nearest soccer field (Just a bit more than a half mile away) #^ and finally done some Ring Rat flying. The first few flights were 1.5 mins with the rpm's set at 9500. Barely got it off the ground. but was able to keep it afloat. The next rpm settings were done with compensated throttle at 91% rpm's increased to 12,500 rpm's .Was able to fly 7.4 sec laps. Next flight went to straight 100% throttle rpm's were almost 15,000 was able to fly a 6.5 lap
barely enough to try inverted flight. Was able to do it albeit still nose heavy. Last flights were done with the battery
under the wing the model responded better but still can only do inverted flights. I just came back from the LHS and bought some APC props to hop things up a bit. As is it's perfect for beginners. but to do tricks I need more prop pitch
so the slo flier props  8x6 or 8x3.8 and 7x5 should work. I can always reduce power if things are too fast. It should be nice enough tomorrow so I'll get to go out when it warms up and try again.   
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 07:23:50 AM »
Hey Darrell,

Glad you were able to get out and give her a spin. Were you using a 2S or 3S? Stock 3 blade? The extra props I bought were not the Slo-flyer type just the regular APC "E" thin type. I'm looking forward to your report on how the Slo-fly's work.

I picked up a Watts-up meter and just did a quick test with it and was surprised to see it pulling 36 amps with a 2 blade 7X5!  :o This was static and 100% throttle but still, isn't that quite a bit?

Just finished my wife's RR 250 last night and we hope to get out Saturday morning to do some more flying before it starts raining here in Austin-again.

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 08:10:10 AM »
I was just using the 2s batteries. I chickened out and didn't get the 3s and bought the 2s 1300 Hyp instead. I thought getting the regular APC's if the slo-flyer props don't work I can go back and pick up the regular electric APC's. Well just a few more hours to warm-up. By the way I just got a e-mail from Stevens Aero. I seems their esc and the e-flite timers were fine. The idiot operator (ME!) had the pots turned the wrong way  HB~> I should be getting those back in a few days.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
You really should give the 3S a try, makes a big difference power wise. I haven't tried the slow fly props and I could easily be wrong but I thought they were more for the slow flying type of park fliers. I was eye-ballin them at the LHS but went for the thin "E" type instead, just looked like more of a performance type prop to me, but again; I could easily be wrong.

I picked up one of those "Wicked electric scimitar props"(7x5) and it does indeed look wicked, very stiff and wide cord. Going to give it a try as well. http://www.stevensaero.com/EMP-Electric-Scimitar-Wicked-p-1-c-322.html

Don't feel bad about your SNAFU on the e-flight timer, on my first one I had the ESC hooked up to the retract plug and couldn't figure out why my motor took so long to start. n~

Please post back up here and let us know how it works out with the slow fly props!

ETA:  Ok this is by far probably not too accurate but I went back and checked my 3 videos and tried to get an idea on the lap times. It seems with the stock 3 blade/2S pack they were close to 7-8 seconds* and on the 3 blade/3S pack they were around 6* seconds and with the 8x4/3S they seem to be around 5.5* or so.

*-Keep in mind all of these flights were done with the throttle at around 60-75% or somewhere in that range as I forgot I had turned it down for the first flight and never turned it back up for the rest of the flights.

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »
Just finished the second round of flying. Used the 7x5 slo flier prop turned the throttle down to 85%. Now were talkin.
There was much more power. Lap times were 4.7 secs after adjusting the handle spacing inward so that is less touchy
I was able to make it do tricks. Lazy eights, inside & outside loops and squares. Second flight on same battery more of the same. Overheads, triangles Vertical eights. But two minute flights on the same battery wouldn't do that too often.
Last flight reduced throttle to 80% went to 2.5 mins flight time. This time went reverse wingover, cloverleaf, vertical eights, horizontal eights. this little guy is stable even in a 5-7 mph breeze of course a bit much for a beginner. Its suppose to be just as nice and warmer. Might go out and buy a reg APC 7x5 electric prop and see how that works out.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 02:43:54 PM »
I've been sitting here poking around waiting for your report, think I need to get a life???  So this was with the 2S 1300mah bat? Great that they fly so well but now I'm wondering what the difference between the two different types of props are(slow vs "E" thin)?? I've got to stop by the LHS tomorrow so I'll pick up a 7x5 and/or 8x4 slo and check it out too.

Did you happen to get any video? I thought we'd be getting more than 2.5 minute flights with these cells, or was that two 2-2.5 minute flights on one cell?

I'm not near as talented as you stunt wise so I won't be doing all the fancy stuff you did or I'll live up to my nick name(Lawn Dart) once again, but, still going to have some fun Sat morning!!

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
Yes I flew 2 2 min flights with the 2s 1300 but I wound up putting back about 1074 mah back into the battery
So i would only do multiple flights for only a minute. The battery charged back just fine but I wouldn't do that again.
After I hot rod it a while I'm putting the 3 blade back and letting it be my trainer for folks who come and watch and want to give it a try. Today I'm going to fly my big boy stunter today also so I have to pack up and head out 40 miles to the field. H^^  P.S Sorry I don't have video capability now.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 03:30:54 PM »
Darrell,

Any more updates on your RR? I took mine out for a couple of flights and had a tip over and it fried my esc. Test flew my wifes and someones dog came running out after me and scared me, I fell down and flew hers straight into the ground and all it did was tweak something in the motor, it's making a squealing sound and using quite a bit more of the battery than before. So, I went ahead and pulled my motor and put it on her plane and then decided to try a 450 motor with a 35 amp esc on mine. I haven't yet flown it but, is sure pulls what feels to be quite a bit harder and actually uses less mah out of the battery. Can't wait to fly it but the weather's been so bad here I haven't had the chance yet.

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 08:42:53 PM »
Been off line the past few days. I finally evolved an had to build a new computer from the ground up. Motherboard
finally toasted. As a result I bought a cheap video camera and when It's warm and calm enough I'll try to shoot some vids to prove that it can do all the tricks.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2011, 11:13:19 AM »
Cool, can't wait to see the video though I never doubted you or the plane.

Offline Jim Howell

• 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
John, Darrell,

Where is the CG on your two models?  And, have you set up the elevator throw per the instructions from Stevens Aero?  I took my RR to the local C/L club's monthly meeting and had to suffer thru the slings and arrows of comments that the CG on my model was "too far forward" and that there wasn't enough elevator throw to be useful.  I'd like to know your experiences.

TIA,
Jim Howell
Jim Howell

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2011, 06:44:35 AM »
Jim,

To be honest I didn't even check the CG, I set mine up as per the instructions and it was fine right off the board. I also set up my wife's per the instructions and it flew great right off the board as well. If set up as SA recommends it's a docile little bird that just about anyone could fly. If using the 3 blade and 2S battery and there is any type of wind at all I would recommend you turn the eflight timer up to 100% so you can keep some tension on the lines. Oh, I did move my pushrod to the hole closest to the elevator surface the following week to achieve more throw but that's just my preference.

This week I've installed one size larger motor(450 class), a 35a esc and moved my battery back into the wing but have yet to fly it. It's odd but the larger motor seems to be pulling hard yet pulling way less amps/less from the battery so I'm pretty excited about giving her a try this weekend, supposed to finally get a break in the weather so hopefully I can get out and fly again.

Hope this helps ya.

John   

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2011, 05:43:10 PM »
John
What motor are you using, a 450 size seems really large for this size plane to me. Larger motors are usually lower KV, so on smaller props they won't draw a lot of amps.

John V

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 06:44:21 AM »
Morning John,

The size of the motor doesn't appear to be too much larger though it is noticeable. You're correct; it is a lower KV motor, I was hoping to be able to swing a larger prop at lower rpm and it seems this motor is doing it while using less power. I like to experiment so thought I'd give it a try. This is the motor here; http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1425/2830-dsh-11-Outrunner-Brushless-Electric/Detail I hope to be able to fly it this weekend and see how it does, I'll try and get a video of the flight and post it up here.

Also picked up this one as well to try; http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the-1526/Power-Up-450-Sport/Detail

Best,
John

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »
John,
Thanks for the info. You might want to look at this motor it will turn a 10x6 on 2s and 8x6 on 3s. I have flown it on a clown, but wanted a bit more power. Might be suitable for something smaller. They also have other Kv versions.
Alpha 370-1080
http://www.hobbypartz.com/alpha-370--1080kv--brushless-motor.html

In general the alpha's are good motors, I have the 250, and 300 series which I fly on things I call 1/2A. There is some more info in this thread    http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=20426.0

JV

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2011, 01:03:07 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the link to that site, looks like a good little motor and man do they have some good prices on batteries! Going to the thread you mentioned now(got side tracked browsing HobbyPartz) Thank you.

John

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 08:36:23 AM »
For the CG of the RR 250 it seems to work best with the battery in the wing as far forward as U can get it.
But thats for doing stunts but for beginners the battery is just fine at the nose. And as far as elevator throw
I Dremel a slot through the center rib for just a bit more throw. Other than that It's set up according to the instructions.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
Took the RR out for a test flight with the new motor and like it much better. It's swinging a 10-6 prop, throttled back and just chugging along but still pulls very nicely. Here is a quick video of the test flight, it was a little windy but the plane still did great.

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2011, 01:49:16 PM »
John,
Well it certainly flies OK! Nice airplane, I might have to get one. 
I went to the Steven Aero site and I see that he recommends a high Kv motor (2200kv) and 2s battery. You might be interested in this one, it matches very well. It is the RC Timer 2212/6, onlys weights 1.8oz. http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=116&productname=
It turns about 13000RPM with an APC 6x4E pusher, on 2s. It draws about 10 amps which allows something like a 2oz battery to be used (1000mah, 2s, 20c). It will take a 3s, but with that prop the throttle needs to be reduced from full. It turns 15.5K on a 3s at 12A. More throttle just makes amps go up and rpm stays about the same. In other words it just can’t spin any faster.

JV

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »
I've been perusing the Stevens site for a while now trying to decide whether the RR100 or RR250 would be the more suitable trainer for teaching my grandsons (ages 5 and 6) how to fly.  The 100 has the advantage of being less expensive and buying two of them would not stretch the budget too much thus having a spare plane ready immediately when the inevitable "crunch" occurs but in my experience, a larger plane is smoother in flight and easier to control.  Any thoughts?  Also has anyone out there crashed either model?  If so, how bad was the damage.

If I go with either of these planes it will be my first electric model so any simple guidance you can give me on that subject will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2011, 08:12:01 PM »
David, 
I haven't crashed a Ring Rat but generally speaking built up models sustain more damage in a crash. A solid structure model is better for a trainer in my opinion. If you have been building for some time, foam is surprisingly tough. I have one that has flown into a fence twice and a wall once. How (don't ask) , just realize that you can't free flight a cl plane very well.

I love electrics, but the motors take damage easily when crashed. Usually a bent shaft. Dirt must be completely cleaned out due to the close tolerances between the stator and the rotor. They are easy to start and keep younger kids attention which helps. the batteries are also easily damaged.

Good luck, if you decide to go electric, I think you'll like it. I converted about a year and a half ago and today seldom fly a glow plane.
John

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2011, 08:32:44 AM »
David,

I have crashed my wife's RR 250 and it was a direct, straight into the ground lawn dart and it did nothing but tweak the motor. $18 later for a new motor and back up in the air. Last weekend I took her out to fly her plane and stood behind her trying to hold her hand, she's a stubborn Gal and said "I've got it let go"! THUMP!! Straight into the ground-no damage but the prop. New prop back in the air, same deal "Let go dammit I've got it"-THUMP. Same thing, prop and the ESC tore off of the Ultra Cote and that's it. So hers has hit the ground HARD three times and broke noting. I'll try and post the videos up for you.

I've built 3 RR 250's now so if there's anything I can help you with please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll do my best to help out. I don't think you could go wrong with either model(100 or 250) as they're both great. Keep us posted!

Best,
John

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
john and John, thanks for your replies.  You've answered a lot of my questions.  I have some more detailed questions now and John, I'll contact you directly with them since you seem to have considerable direct experience with these models.

I'd love to see the videos!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
John,
Sorry about the crash, It does happen to all of us eventually. Anyway I figured out how to use the video camera
and shot this vid. I bought a e-flite park 370 motor and tried a couple of flights. This flight has the APC 8x6 prop
Castle ESC, Throttle set to 85%. It's able to do the basics better suited for beginner flying going to set the original set up back so I can hot rod it again.
Later,

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2011, 01:23:46 PM »
Darkstar

That looks like a very nice trainer combo. I have a Clown which is about the same size that flies just about the same with an Alpha 370, (basically the same motor). Look like a need a Ring Rat too.!
John V

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2011, 02:02:54 PM »
Hey Darrell,

Good video! Looks like it performs ok with that motor, probably really good for training. Only thing about them is the rather large wing area and wind, in this video you can see the results. Was test flying my wifes plane(first flight) and the wind caught it while someones darn dog was running around, I thought he was coming towards me and it distracted me just long enough for a nice nose plant. It just bent the shaft on the motor but the plane was fine-pretty tough little planes.

David,
As promised here it is;
 Try not to laugh too hard. :-[

JohnV,
You do need a RR, they're a really fun little plane for not much money. We're enjoying ours like crazy! n~

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2011, 02:18:09 PM »
This is why we made grass  y1 Hang in there.
Later,

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2011, 04:42:50 PM »
This is why we made grass  y1 Hang in there.

Yeah thank God for grass, what you can't see on the video is me falling on my butt! Yep, I was too worried about the dog and fell all over myself while the plane was headed back to Mother Earth! My wife seemed to think it was just hilarious, she laughed and laughed all the way home-had tears running down her cheeks.  LL~

In case you missed the post here is the RR with the bigger motor;

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:30 AM »
Well here it is finally. Was able to set up video had to set camera way back so I can get in everything. So here's
The ring rat finally doing all the tricks.
Later,

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2011, 09:07:33 AM »
Darrell,

What are the details (prop etc.) of your setup for doing all the pattern maneuvers?
Best, Hoovie

Offline Darkstar1

• Commander
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2011, 10:42:50 AM »
David,
I finally settled on the APC 8 x 3.8 slo flier prop. The motor is stock ESC is a Castle Thunderbird 54. The timer is a Hubin FM-9. The stock setup works well for flight training and I will use it for that mostly cause the stock ESC wont
hold a steady RPM for that long And with the Hubin timer I can set a delay long enough to get to the handle cant do that with the e-flite timer.
Later,

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here