• May 02, 2024, 10:26:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Timer
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:32:02 AM »
Has any one else have seen or used  Kaz Minato's timer ? We have a flyer that has one and it seams Vary user friendly with Programing control box power with 9 v battery and led screen for mode selection, timer has 3 button for arming and setting.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
Re: Timer
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 01:19:50 PM »
Is there a web site we can find out about this timer? JMP is no longer in the CL timer business.

Thanks, Arch

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
Try this.http://homepage3.nifty.com/bluemax/ it should help
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 02:24:48 PM »
Somehow too complicated, my timer does not have any button or switch or whatever and still can be programmed (time and throttle)  VD~

http://www.rcmodely.sk/Images/Clanky/2173.jpg

Offline Arch Adamisin

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 02:33:54 PM »
Igor,
OK, now you have my attention, would you please explain the product in the photo? How does it work and what exactly can it do?

Thanks, Arch

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 02:49:40 PM »
Exactly what I wrote, I did somewhere englisk presentation, probably on stuka because I do not see it here.

It is timer programmed in sigle chip computer (8 pin PIC 12F675) connected to servo pins. Allws to program time interval and throttle for that time. After switch on (main switch on ESC) waits 30 seconds, the do wanted throttle for wanted periode and stops. That is all.

Programming is done also by main switch on ESC - you not need any button on timer, you not need to access it. Trivial, simple material costs $2  H^^

It is made very light for my indoors, but will work well for any model size.

one more picture will show you size and weight: http://www.rcmodely.sk/Images/Clanky/2172.jpg

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 09:04:18 PM »
Is there a web site we can find out about this timer? JMP is no longer in the CL timer business.

Thanks, Arch

Hi Arch,
   I think everything you want to know will be in this thread. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=5484.0

Mike

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 11:12:44 PM »
Hi Arch,

When did you hear that JMP was out of the timer business? That is sad news, JMP is a great timer that works perfectly and does everything we need. And it is KIS to operate and program. The nice engineer that designed it was very helpful and supportive of his product. With Will Moore's simple $20 test unit the JMP is very easy to program and see exactly what is going on with the timer. ..... This product will be missed. 

The instructions for Kaz's timer sound like they were written by NASA?  HB~> And we can have this for only $165, Yikes! ...... The display box is neat, and the instructions may become clearer when given one more pass at a translation, so this may work out OK?

I am looking forward to seeing one of Kim's timers. Now that JMP is gone, I hope Kim's unit comes to market sooner than later. I know he is making every effort to insure that the production units are every bit as good as his excellent prototypes. I'm sure I am just one of many on his customer list for one of his units from the 1st production run.

Thanks for alerting us to the sad passing of the JMP timer. I only have 4. I better treat them with care, who knows, I may not be able to learn how to use a new one in time for next years contests?  n~

Thanks, Arch
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2007, 11:38:52 PM »
Hi Igor,

Thank you for all of your informative posts. I always enjoy reading what you have to say about ECL.

Your timer sounds good. We all like KIS.  y1

The real question becomes: Are they available for sale??? 

How much???  $2 materials + $8 labor&OH + $5 R&D + $7 Profit + $2 Packaging = $24 Sale Price?  .... + Shipping and Handling  ......... OR  $$????

TIA for your ans. ..... Your admiring fans want to know!  :!

PS: Many USA ECL flyers may not understand your use of the ESC SW for programing. The popular, made in the USA,  Castle Creations ESCs do not have a SW. I am now using the excellent Jeti Spin ESCs and they DO have a SW. This is a very good safety feature. I hope Castle adopts this feature soon.

Regards,  H^^

Exactly what I wrote, I did somewhere englisk presentation, probably on stuka because I do not see it here.

It is timer programmed in sigle chip computer (8 pin PIC 12F675) connected to servo pins. Allws to program time interval and throttle for that time. After switch on (main switch on ESC) waits 30 seconds, the do wanted throttle for wanted periode and stops. That is all.

Programming is done also by main switch on ESC - you not need any button on timer, you not need to access it. Trivial, simple material costs $2  H^^

It is made very light for my indoors, but will work well for any model size.

one more picture will show you size and weight: http://www.rcmodely.sk/Images/Clanky/2172.jpg
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 02:20:50 AM »
PS: Many USA ECL flyers may not understand your use of the ESC SW for programing. The popular, made in the USA,  Castle Creations ESCs do not have a SW. I am now using the excellent Jeti Spin ESCs and they DO have a SW. This is a very good safety feature. I hope Castle adopts this feature soon.

Regards,  H^^

No problem without swithch. What it really need is ANY switching on-off. You can plug and unplug battery if you do not have switch. I used also CC ESC and also small Jeti Spin 11 which is also without switch. The programming means you have to enter programming mode of timer by switching off between first and second second after swithcing on. Then next two runs are "learning" and you have to wait until timer slowly accelerates to "your" rpm and switch off or unplug will store its value. Second run will spin up motor to wanted rpm for short period and then to half of it and you have to wait wanted flight time, and again switching off or just unplugging will store that time. And that is all, third run will be finally normal run spinning wanted rpm for wanted time. It means timers "tries" to offer you some value and you will accept it by switching off. I wanted to keep the timer to be as small and light as possible for my indoors, because in winter we fly with F3AI flyers and they wanted to "try" c/l ... and I can tell you it was sucessfull, we have several R/C guys trying electric C/L models then ususal C/L guys (IC engines believers). R/C guys commonly convers available R/C sets to C/L and it really works look picture.

If you use Jeti SPIN ESC you not need to set RPM, you can use any throttle and adjust RPM by prog box. I have two timers adjusted for full throttle - one with "contest" time and second with "practice time" (first for one pattern and no repetition and second allowing to do something twice if necessary) ... the RPM I set in ESC directly by prog box. I set it stopped for impulse width from 1ms to 1.5ms and to my rpm from 1.5ms to 2 ms. It means does not matter what is impulse width from timer, it either runs my rpm or stopps, so I can exchange timers between models independently on their motors, batteries and so.

And regarding timer - no I do not make them for sale. I did a page how make it home:
http://www.rcmodely.sk/zobrazclanok.php?id=245

Unfortunatelly it is in Slovak language, but on right side you can see "packing" the PIC to final timer. Many guys here around did it home. The only problem is programming, but I think it is always possible to find place where someone can burn the program in. The program itself is available, it is small .HEX file compatible with any burner. I can send burned device but I do not thnik it is worth of the price to send one $1 device by post oversee for $10 postage.

Offline Will Hubin

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
Note (new thread) that I will make Igor's timer available to U.S. user, still at low cost.
    Will Hubin

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 04:31:59 PM »
 the RPM I set in ESC directly by prog box. I set it stopped for impulse width from 1ms to 1.5ms and to my rpm from 1.5ms to 2 ms. It means does not matter what is impulse width from timer

Hi Igor, there's still something I do not get: how can you set the ESC stopped (means 0 RPM ?) for an impulse range (1.0 to 1.5 ms), then set the desired RPM for another range...
My Jeti box allows to set -in Heli Constant 3D mode (correct?)- the max rotor speed (or prop rev if gear 1:1), say 10.000 rpm  and the min rotor speed (this one I don't know which value to set...), BUT: with my JMP the motor starts rotating from#1.2 ms, then ramps up as the pulse width gets larger. In no case I can obtain a "stopped " from 1 to 1;5 ms....does it has to do with th settings "initial point " and "end point" ? To be honnest, I have no idea on how to put these settings...

More: I'm custom to use the run up speed with run up time, and I'm willing to keep that great capability of the JMP. Is it still working with your Jeti gov. settings?
Same for the blips or "sagging" at the end of flight time.

Last (for the moment !): What setting do you recommend for the "sensitivity", "acceleration" , and "throttle curve" values?

Thanks for your help, because I'm new on this forum, I discover some answers (many) along my reading..therfore you might already have given the answers ahead.
Sorry, Thierry

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 04:56:25 PM »
I am actually two weeks out of home (in Germany) so I cannot tell exactly, but the point is, that in that 3D mode of work (I there are 2 3D modes, it can be that the start point is available only in one of them) you have to set 3 parameters.
1/ pulse width where it starts to spin the rotor. It is default 1.2ms I think. I changed it to 1.5ms. That means that motor is stopped at pulse width 1ms to 1.5 (or 1.2)
2/ minimal rpm at that pulse width from point one That means that motor starts at that point and immediatelly goes to that rpm.
3/ maximal rpm at 2 ms. (may be you can change also pulse width of that maximal pulse width, but I am really not sure) This is end point.

But in reality does not matter if it is 1.2 or 1.5 ms. I use timer which make 1ms if motor has to be stopped (with brake) and 2 ms for wanted rpm, so it really does not matter if it starts to work at 1.2 or 1.5 ms.

If you want name of that parameter, I can look when I will come back home. But I think if you go thru all settings, you will find it somewhere.

Offline Thierry SAUNIER

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 05:32:55 PM »
Thanks, Igor!
I wish you a good business trip, and will wait for more data when you're home again.
Take care, Thierry

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2008, 07:48:19 AM »
Hi Thierry,

Here you can download the spin/progbox description with programming chard: http://www.jetimodel.cz/eng/navody_en/SPIN_en.pdf

Now I see that there is possibility to have the start point automatical, or manual, so if you choose manual, you can set both the start point (called initial in the chard) and also end point.

It is also good idea to disable automatical changing of those values in next step of chard.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here