News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:34:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Timer or ESC  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Timer or ESC
« on: May 23, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »
Help this is what I did!
I just Reprogram my CC 45 as follows

Brake :Hard cutoff
Throttle mode Heli. Governor Hi
Brake:50% disabled
Brake Ramp: Immediate

Advance Menu
Motor Start: 39%
Throttle response: Medium #5
Timing: Standard
PWM frequency: 13KHz
Current Limit: Normal
Governor Gain: Hi 80%
Spool up speed: Hi 80%

I reinstalled it and when power plug in It beeps and  control lights up , then as before I push button on the
FM-1 but nothing happens . 

What should I do or what did I didn't do ?
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Online Mike Palko

• Captain
Re: Timer or ESC
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:30:57 AM »
Hi Larry,
   I have not used the FM-1 timer before, but I can give you a suggestion. Go back to your previous settings and see if the power system works again. Then make one or two changes at a time to try to find the cause of the problem. My guess would be the governor is causing your headaches. The FM-2 timer is programmed to work in governor mode.

Mike

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Larry,
It looks like you are setup ok. But here are a couple of comments/questions:
When you plug the battery, the CC speed control first plays a little tune immediately followed by a number of beeps. The actual number is how many cells the ESC thinks are in the battery. I think you have a 4s Lipo, so that number of beeps should be four.

This first set of beeps is followed very soon after by another little tune. This means the ESC is armed and ready to turn on. This happens when the ESC detects zero throttle.  Now if the timer starts up, the ESC will provide power to the motor. If you don't hear the second tune, the ESC didn't detect the zero throttle from the timer, and so isn't armed.

Like Mike asked, I assumed this timer worked with the previous non-governor mode setup on the ESC. But my questions are whether you hear this sequence on tunes on the ESC.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
Larry,
Also you didn't mention it, but I assume the ESC is set for Auto-Lipo detection mode (again assuming you are using Lipo's).

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
Yes Alan it is in auto-lipo setting, Mike I try to set CC back to factory default and it still didn't work like before, Alan I check for the sound you said and the first set of chimes work but not the other set of sound.
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 04:49:04 PM »
If it doesn't make the second set of chimes, then for some reason, your timer isn't giving out a pulse between 1ms to 1.2ms (or something like the latter number).
It is also possible that the timer is giving no pulses. This might happen if you plugged it in incorrectly for example, and burned out the timer chip (I say that because I have done it when I wasn't paying attention). Since you say this worked before, I am almost willing to say this is the most likely possibility  :'( . I learned to pay more attention (and to put on my reading glasses!) when plugging in the timer to the ESC cable.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2008, 05:41:22 PM »
Larry,
Can you take a peek at the ESC. There is a LED that probably is flashing. If the timer isn't sending a signal, it will give you repeating 5 flashes. Here is a list of the other possibilities.

Online Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2008, 08:09:08 PM »
Larry,
   Did you DL a new version of CC software? If so go back to what you were using previously (not just factory default settings) or try a different software version for the heck of it. Some CC software revisions have arming issues. The 1mS pulse is to short (not the required 2 seconds for the CC ESC) or not quite 1mS. If you are not getting the second set of beeps the ESC did not arm.

Also, check to be sure the timer is plugged in with the correctly, it is easy to get backwards. 

Mike

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2008, 09:18:41 PM »
OK guys  1. what is ms ? and   I tryed pluging in my z-tron timer the same thing happen except when I switch on number 6 I get sound and wait 2 min. before it starts...when I switch off switch 6 the motor should start as soon as the ESC powers up; But instead I get no secondary sound or instant start, what I'm thinking it might have somthing to do with ESC starting cycle. if my terms are off is I'm not electric smart. ???   n~ n~ n~
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
Can you see if the LED on the ESC is blinking?

1 ms means 1 millisecond. The timer, just like an RC Receiver, buts out a pulse that can range in length between 1 to 2 milliseconds in length every 20 milliseconds. More or less a 1ms pulse means throttle off, and 2ms means throttle full on. If this pulse is not sent, the ESC won't do anything (and will have the red led blink 5 times over and over again).

The fact that the Ztron isn't working is puzzling.

Online Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 10:22:17 PM »
Larry,
   mS = millisecond. It is a reference to the duration of the pulse (signal) from the timer to the ESC. 1mS is closed throttle and 2mS is full throttle. Castle ESC's need a two second pulse at 1mS. This is a safety feature so the motor does not turn on when the battery is plugged in or a switch is turned on. You could easily get injured without this.  

Did you try changing software revisions?

Mike  

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 10:45:07 PM »
Yes  the soft wear didn't change anything. it seams that if I use the Z-tron I will have to wait a whole 2 min. after arming battery before it the motor starts up, but at lease it runs. I might have burnt out the FM-1 timer. n~ n~
Larry

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:13:46 PM »
Is it ok to use my CC-45 with all the settings on it and use the Z-Tron timer with it ? the timer is a early type CLT2,rev 1.0
and use the speed pot to set RPM ?
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 12:34:43 PM »
Larry,
I don't have the Ztron with the speed pot, but you should be able to use it just fine.
Other than that, I am not sure how the Ztron 2 works with regards to setting the time delay after plugging in the battery. I am pretty sure Mike P. knows what can be done with it.

I can recommend both the JMP-2 timer and Ztron-3 timers--I have both. Bob Selman still carries both. Here is a link to his web site.

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/products.cfm?catID=10006

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2008, 02:20:12 PM »
Well Alan it seams that my ESC is not reading the timer's and I think when I plug the link in I somtimes have to wiggle the wire to get it to light up , might be a bad plug connection. and I tryed to change program from govenor that did'nt change any thing .   ( so it all points to a bad connection)  May be!
Larry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 04:45:55 PM »
Larry,
By some chance do you have access to a RC servo and receiver battery? If you do you could make a little test system like the one I have. Here is a photo of my little test system. Here you see it with the Ztron 3 timer. With this setup I follow the setup of the timer---also I can see if the timer is ok.

Even if you don't have this stuff, it only costs ~$20 to buy it. Another option (maybe better) is to by the Jeti Spin Programming board (~$30) which can do the same thing, except you can readout the Timer pulses digitally. [notice how the quantum unit of purchase in Electric Power is ~$25?]

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2008, 05:34:59 PM »
Sure Alan I have R/c servo just have to charge up a reciver pack, former R/C flyer also.

Thank I will try it . n~
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here