News:

• March 29, 2024, 07:13:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Time tracker for sport flights?  (Read 668 times)

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Time tracker for sport flights?
« on: March 21, 2021, 09:11:18 AM »
I have a few ships that might be fun to fly but they are not really good for either the PA or OTS patterns. Just good old fun fly. For electric this leaves one with a dilemma of figuring out when to stop cutting up the sky and get ready for landing. What have you used to keep track of flight time that is easy to check and not in the way of your flying hand?

Best,  DennisT

Online CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline ericrule

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
Re: Time tracker for sport flights?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 11:53:58 AM »
Hi Dennis:

I use the KR Governor on my E models. One of it's many features is that exactly 10 seconds before the flight timer cuts off the motor it drops the rpm for 2 seconds after which the rpm go to full to allow you to set up for landing. This eliminates the need to check my watch. One caution I should mention is that you do not want to find yourself pointing the model straight up when the rpm drops. I was doing a bunch of inside and outside squares  after the pattern just wasting time until shut off. Unfortunately I was in the vertical position when the rpm drop occurred. As you can imagine when the rpm dropped the model slowed down, dipped the inboard wing and proceeded to do a very nice "rainbow" over my head with slack lines until it inevitably made a sudden stop nose first into the earth. Entirely my fault and nothing whatever to do with the equipment.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 12:07:21 PM »
Eric,
Exactly what you described is what I was concerned about. When flying one of the patterns you know when its over and have several laps to spare. Sport flying has you just cutting up the sky with say a combat wing or biplane and just having fun but not watching time. I had a cook timer with alarm but it is a pain to carry in the summer with just a tee shirt (no pocket). Was looking for something small but loud to warn you.

Best,    DennisT

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2021, 12:44:21 PM »
What Eric said.  KR timers have always worked for me.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2021, 01:10:11 PM »
You can have program for handy. It is pogrammable, you can set it to beep exactly one lap before landing, so you will know exactly where it stops, or you can set it (as I do) 3 laps before landing so you can manage it to land on another place if you want (if you fly at highiger altitude, you will glide longer). It will allow manage landing in restect to wind. It can also beep before start if you use delay, it can also measure lap time etc ...

description downloadable here:
http://maxbee.net/download/timer.pdf

Android application:
http://maxbee.net/download/timer.apk

Offline Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2021, 05:58:48 PM »
I think the Hubin timers go full speed for a second about 5 seconds before cutoff.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here