News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:04:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three blade prop test  (Read 2983 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Three blade prop test
« on: October 29, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
Guys,

I purchased an Air Master Screw 11-7 3blade Pusher for testing on my 600 sq Excitation with an AXI 2826-10 motor. First, I checked the pitch and found it was under pitched and measured about 5.5 on one blade and 5.25 on the other two at the 75% station (this is were I check all my props and use it as a reference point). The prop is glass reinforced nylon so it heat pitches easily. I set all blades to 5.5 and balanced the prop. I needed to adjust the three blade spinner blade cutouts for the pusher so I did a quick prop test without the spinner. Rpm is set to 9000 and it pulled 36.9 amps. Once I finished the spinner I wanted to make sure it was running smooth so I did another test run. For grins I checked the amps and found it was 34.1 amps. It appears that a full spinner reduces the prop drag around the hub and the amp draw (the root of the blade doesn't add much to the pulling power of the prop) by 10%.

Best,            DennisT

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Three blade prop test
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:53 PM »
What size spinner?

When we first flew the 12x6 with spinner versus 12x6P without spinner I noticed a choppy noise.  Field hacked & whacked the spinner and it quieted down again...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 10:30:17 PM »
I find it amazing to think that with electric stunt we can actually hear these differences. You can even hear the difference in a hard or soft corner, whereas with the wet setup the engine noise masks these things. Talking about spinners, another neat thing about electric, is the lack of motor vibration, so even a small out-of-balance problem on a spinner shows up easily. I find this especially noticeable if you have a slower run-up, or if you are setting the rpm manually. It's most interesting that the spnner makes a difference in noise and also current.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 01:16:56 PM »
Guys,

Got to fly the 3 blade Master AirSrew 11x7 pusher and I Like It! I needed to balance the props out of the package but it didn't take to much work. I also checked the pitch and found it was under pitched at the number 9 station that I use as a reference on my props (11 - 12" dia). I brought the pitch up to 5.5 (9000 rpm) and the lap time was a little slower than I like at 5.4sec on 63' eye to eye. Last night I adjusted the pitch to 5.75 and flew today, lap time 5.1 and I am happy. The three blade is very quite an pulls strong out of the corners and up top in the overheads. One thing about the Master AirScrew prop is when repitching with a heat gun it needs about twice as long to heat soak the material to get it to take the pitch, use a glove on the hot blade.

Best,              DennisT

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 07:29:35 PM »
Hi Dennis,
What was the change in battery consumption, if any?
Thanks,
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 08:07:45 PM »
Dean,

Battery is TP 4S1P 14.8V 3900 pro lite, draw for 3 blade P - 2725mah vs 2543mah for the 2 blade APCE 11 1/4x5.5 P.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 01:29:36 AM »
Dennis,

Does the 3-blade prop make as much noise in corners as the 2-blade?  Does it make more noise in corners than flying level or doing round loops?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 10:33:43 AM »
Howard,

The Master AirScrew 11-7 three blade has square tips and I did need to repitch to 5.75 at my reference point of station 9. With this setup I run 9000 rpm. I was surprised that it was quieter then the APCE 11 1/4 x 5.6 two blade. In the corners it is quite and pulls strong out of the corner.

Best,             DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
Dennis
 I flew today with the Master Airscrew  11x7 P and it works great, same result you have.
 My next Question is what kind of spinner did you use for the pusher 3 Blade prop?
  I also tryed the APC 13X4.5 EP and just could not get to work the way the 12X6 EP that I was using , But the 11X7 P  3 blade is Great and better than the 12X6 EP.   y1  S?P  By the way the 3 blade prop is vary quiet, sounds like a fan.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 04:33:01 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »
I stlll wish APC would make a 3 blade version of the 12-6. Ok, maybe it isn't as efficient as a 2 blade, but it still may be a great fit for what we do.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »
Hi Larry,

Did you repitch the MAS 3 blade like Dennis did, or did you run it stock right out of the box?

BTW: TruTurn makes an excellent electric spinner. They can make them in 3 blade and will cut/modify them for any prop.
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2009, 10:03:27 PM »
Rudy I ran the prop right out of the box , did not check the pitch, but will when I get a chance just to see what it's like. Will check on the spinner from Tru Turn. Thanks
Larry

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 10:42:44 PM »
Rudy I ran the prop right out of the box , did not check the pitch, but will when I get a chance just to see what it's like. Will check on the spinner from Tru Turn. Thanks

Thanks Larry, that's good news. I'm lazy so I like "right out of the box".  #^

If it is any where near the APC 12 x 6 in performance and it is quieter and 1/2" more grd clearance, it sounds like a winner.

TruTurn spinners are beautiful. Not cheap, but worth every penny.  y1

Go to their web site for more E spinner info. :

http://www.truturn.com/cgi-bin/store/agora.cgi?p_id=tte122002b:13&ppinc=spinners130&exact_match=on

Click on the "special slotting" section on the right side of the page     

ALMOST LIKE CHROME

If you want yours to look almost like chrome here are a few hints to add to the their web site instructions:

2. If you want to make a spinner, or a landing gear, real shinny then here is the best way to do it:

http://www.tru-turn.com/faq-29.htm

It is not the polishing that does it, it is the SANDING that gets the job done. Look at your spinner or LG with a magnifying glass and you will see how rough it really is. This has to be taken care of waaaay before polishing takes place. Polish alone will NEVER take down the rough mountains in the finish, it needs sandpaper. I have done three of my 5" spinners and 3 pair of LG and they all have come out looking almost like chrome.

If you do this, try these:  1. buy lot's of latex gloves and use them on both hands all the time during the process. If you don't do this you will wish you had! Please don't ask me how I know this.  ;)   2. work over a kitchen size garbage container WITH a liner in it, have a little water in a plastic container for the wet sanding part.  3. have a large roll of paper towels at your side. 4. wear OLD clothes, it's messy! and ..... BE PATIENT!

It is not hard to do, just messy and time consuming. I would NEVER do it if I could pay for it to be done. I would have gladly added another $50 to the cost of my $180 spinner to have it come already looking like chrome!!!! The LG is a little easier, and well worth the effort but still I would pay to have it done, it is not a "fun" job. But the results are very rewarding, and with a little auto wax applied after your done, the shine will last for years.  :)

Please let us know how you make out with your spinner. I have my MA 11x7 3B on order. :)

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 05:47:24 AM »
Rudy,

I agree the 3 blade has more of a fan sound but it pulls out of the corner very strong. What rpm and line length and lap time are you flying it at?

Spinner is a Du-Bro 2" 3_Blade  Cat No. 542. You need to adjust the cutouts for the pusher. I simply used the small sanding drum in a dremmell and kinda squared off the opening on the back side (now the front side for the pusher). One thing I needed to do to fit the MAS 3 bld hub was to sand down the bolt posts on the inside of the spinner. The Du-Bro uses three bolts for hold downs and the posts are 1/16 wall thickness so it is easy to use the sanding drum and thin them to 1/32 or so on the side facing the hub.

Best,                DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2009, 08:14:43 AM »
Dennis:
I used 65 ft lines eye to eye, lap time is 5.2 at 9K rpm plane is a ARF P-40 AXI 2826-10 TP 3900 4s Used about 2500 mAh  #^ HB~>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:06:40 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2009, 09:08:56 AM »
Larry,

6.2 lap time, if it stays out in the wind it is very impressive. To hit those numbers my calc puts the stock pitch at about 4.8" out of the package.

Best,     DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »
Dennis :
 I just check the pitch on the 11x7P MAS and I got 7 pitch at tip and at station 8 on my Prather about 2" from tip it was 5 1/2 " pitch, will check balance next.
Larry

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2009, 10:48:41 AM »
Guys  What's the best way to balance a 3 bld prop?  is it 1 up and 2 down or 1 down and 2 up ? I think I said it right ???
Larry

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
Larry,

First thing I do is clean off the mold flash lines on the edges of the blades. Next I check the blade lengths and true up as needed (I made a simple jig that Windy uses, it's a piece of 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 8" with a hold drilled and tapped for the 1/4" bolt. You then mark off blade lengths for the size prop you use. I then clamp a piece of scrap 1/2" sq  at the desired blade length and sand the tips so they just touch the block). Now you are ready to start balancing.

The way I have been doing it is place it on the balancer and see which blade falls toward the bottom, try it from both the left and right sides. I then sand on the face (I start with 320 grit) of that blade slowly, you will see it start to rotate up as the next heavy blade starts to drop lower. At that point I start to sand a little on the next heavy blade also. Three blades take a bit of work cause when you get the first blade to where it seems like it close you start the next heavy blade and find the first blade is still heavy. Once you get to this point you are close, take it slow and work back and forth between the two and at one point you will see one blade still hanging a little low. Once you bring it in you can then set the prop in any position and it will stay. You can then wet sand the blades with 600 and it will have a smooth finish. Odd thing is once it comes into balance minor sanding to clear up the surface doesn't seem to affect it.

Best,                     DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2009, 11:35:16 AM »
Thanks Dennis That's about how I do it just wanted to check y1
Larry

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 12:20:25 PM »
Hi Gang,
I've always balanced 3-bladers by sanding or scraping on the heaviest blade until it balances perfectly with the lightest one. That means that both those blades will be UP at the same angle, and what used to be the middle-heavy blade now hangs vertically down. Then I shave the new heavy blade until it will sit still when released from the horizontal. I rarely have to repeat the process unless one blade was very light compared to the other two.

later,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline Erik Janssen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »
A 3 blade prop has more blade area and will pull better after a loss of speed compared to a 2 blade prop. Fly an hourglass and you will experience the difference.

A 12x5 3 blade reduced to 11 dia beats a 12 x 6 two blade prop. So far I build my own three blade props from Zinger 2 blades. They have 3 blade props on their website.

Power consumption from my experience goes up by 50 mAh on a 4S setup.

There are two problems with electric motors:
- If you fly governor into the wind a 3 blade will lose more speed than a 2 blade (more windmill area)
- When coming down from the hourglass the 3 blader will bleed off speed slower than a 2 blade (keeps spinning longer)

All of the above under the assumption that your motor is strong enough. The best test is to put a 3 blade on your model and see what it brings for you. In general you have to test 20 props before finding one that matches the package so I cannot predict what it does for you. If you don't like it stick to the 2 blade.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2009, 01:55:12 PM »
Thank you guys for the Great info. on this prop. and balancing a 3B.   :)

Larry, did you really mean 6.2 sec/lap? Or is it 5.2 sec/lap? .... I fly my P-40 (same set up) at 5.0 sec/lap on 64 eye to eye lines using about 2,700 mAh/flight with very slow spool up and 9 extra laps at the end. Your Air Speed must be really sloooow? I don't see how you can keep it up in the overheads at that speed. Please tell us your secret.  :!

Regards,  H^^

Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 03:04:44 PM »
Woops! I must hit the 6 instead of the 5, yes it is 5.2 lap time.. HB~> HB~>   ~^
Larry

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 03:58:05 PM »
Woops! I must hit the 6 instead of the 5, yes it is 5.2 lap time.. HB~> HB~>   ~^

Bummer! .... I was hopeful that you found a new type of "Flux Capacitor" or "Beryllium Spheres" that would allow the slow, graceful flying that a 6.2 lap time would bring.   n~

Thanks for the bad news.  ;)

I look forward to flying with you guys up there in the "civilized" part of CA in 2010.  #^

Warm Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2009, 03:55:25 PM »
Dennis How did you get the Dubro spinner on with the 3bld MAS ? the MAS has such a thick hub and the spinner has a thick back plate that it leaves not much threads for the nut? ???
Larry

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 09:35:03 PM »
Larry,

I did two things, first I sand down the area between the blades a bit (I used the medium size sanding drum). Second I sanded the posts inside the spinner so that they had about 1/64 wall left on the side that is near the hub. I was working with a 2" spinner, you need to work slow and sand the upper part of the posts almost flat, it does fit and runs true.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »
Thanks
 Dennis I did the spinner and got a good fit, But the Prop hub is what I was not sure of, I guess at the hub does not effect the balance.
Larry

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2009, 03:29:37 PM »
Larry,

I balanced the prop first and then sanded the area between the blades on the hub after I got a clean fit. I checked the balance and mine was OK. Make sure the spinner engages the backplate smoothly. Once you have the correct clearance it will go it without forcing any of the side in. This is important because if you have to force the sides into the backplate slots it pushes the tip off center and the spinner will not run turn. Test it by simply spinning the prop with a good flip, if its off you will see the spinner wobble. The thing that caused mine to be off was clearance at the top of the hub line in the spinner, sanded somemore out of the posts (I found that I hadn't sanded deep enough down on one post, when down another 1/16" and all cleared, fit and no wobble.

Flew the three blade today in 15+ wind and turbulence off some trees. Compared to the IC guys I was going great. The ship seemed to penetrate going upwind really good. I wasn't waiting for the airplane to get through the up wind leg, it just flew around. Also didn't need to wait for the ship to regain speed before doing maneuvers. One thing I did notice was that it stayed out even when I positioned the maneuver off the wind (like were the wind rolled off the trees). It resisted the wind up very good. One thing I am still working on is selecting the CG location. On the first flight I had it where I had flown it with the big two blade and it turned pretty quick. On the second flight I moved the CG forward about 1/4" and it seemed better. I want to fly it there a few more times and then keep moving it forward until the turn gets soft then go back a bit.

Best,           DennisT

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »
Guys,

Got to compare the 3 bld MAS 11x5.6 P against the APCE 11 3/4x5.6 P in some 15 mph + wind today. I have flow over a dozen flights with the 3 bld and it is a very good match for my ship. I am flying on 63' (eye to eye) 0.015" with a lap time of 5.1. Both props do the same lap time so comparing in the wind was the last step in narrowing down my prop choice for the KOI. After flying the 3 bld for several flights I put on the APCE P two blade that had been the base prop for this ship to see how it would handle the wind. Both props fly at the same lap time. Both pull through the corners about the same. The one area that the 3 bld was better was resisting whip up in the consecutive maneuvers. Both props seemed to do better than my fellow IC fliers but the 3 bld was just a bit better at holding the speed.

One thing I might try is to take a 12x5.6 3 bld and cut it down to 11 1/2" or 11 1/4" to see if it helps even more. I just have to watch the amps. The 11" 3 bld pulls about 33 amps (with the spinner on), the battery is a Thunder Power 4S1P 3900mah Pro Lite rated at 20C from earlier flights it pulls about 2600 mah out.

Best,           DennisT

Alan Hahn

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2009, 09:35:46 AM »
Dennis,
I didn't catch if you did post it, but do you have battery usage #'s (mAHr)  for 3 and 2 blade props---especially when your lap times are setup the same.

I just curious at what hit in consumption you take by going to 3 blades.

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
Dennis, equaivalent prop for 3bl 11x5.6 will be 12(andlittlebit)x5.6 so you can try APC 12x5.6

means if I had to guess, the 3bl 11x5.6 will keep speed better than 11 3/4 x 5.6 ... and the same difference will be wisible on current draw. So Ithink if you will measure what Allans ask for, you will see apropriate difference ... and may be even more. (induced drag on 3 tips ... depends on blade AR). I am also curiouse what number you will have  :)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2009, 06:49:50 PM »
Guys,

OK, just finished charging two packs that were flown back to back. The three blade pack used 2545 mah (65%), the two blade pulled 2435 mah (62%)out of 3900 mah. I did some checking in my records and I did run a full 12x5.6 APCE P, it also had a lap time of 5.1 and pulled 2547 mah.

Best,                    DennisT

Offline Erik Janssen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2009, 02:02:17 AM »
If you put a data logger into your model you will see that a 3 blade prop pulls more amps after a corner to keep the speed into the  model. This is where the extra consumption comes from.

When governor senses a loss in airspeed it will open the FET's to compensate this, the maximum amount of extra power is related to the maximum current draw on the ground. This is why more prop makes it easier to fly a square eight. A 11x5,5 feels thin, 12x6 reasonable and a 12,5x6 confirmed on my setup.

There is a downside, when you are flying level in headwind the extra prop area will make governor to cut the power more than with a smaller prop.

With a compact camera and windows movie maker you can measure the half laptime with the wind on the tail and headwind. The bigger the prop the bigger the difference is time for half a lap. This is not a problem because constant airspeed makes the model to track very well.

In the hourglass the bigger prop area will make it go up easier after the first corner but...... it will not penetrate very well in wind just before the 2nd corner. It depends on your package whether this is an improvement or counter productive.

When the motor is overpropped the motor cannot follow and the rpm loss in a square corner will make you lose more speed than governor can compensate. A 12x5x6 on the AXI was a big improvement, a 13x6 too much.

It all depends on your package, the experiment above is very useful. If it feels good it is good. In the old days when we used to fly IC we trimmed props by 3mm to get into the better rpm range. So the proof of the pudding is in the flying.

Advertise Here
Tags: prop 

Advertise Here