News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Schulze F2B ESC  (Read 907 times)

Offline Will Hubin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
The Schulze F2B ESC
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »
     I recently had the opportunity to bench test this specifically-designed-for-stunt ESC. Since it is used by such eC/L luminaries as Paul Walker, Kim Doherty, and Mike Palko, the results might be of interest to others as well.
     I ordered it on-line from icare-rc.com (Quebec) and received it 17 days later. It cost U.S. $137 + $7.50 S&H.
     The ESC has five tiny slide switches to allow the user to choose to use a prop brake or not, low rpm or high rpm, hard or soft timing, and PWM frequency 9 or 19 kHz. It has a nicely finned heat sink and is rated for currents up to 46A and up to 5S LiPo batteries. Rather than having leads to the motor, it provides 3.5 mm female bullet connectors right on the ESC.
     I usually set up my timers for the 9,000 - 11,000 RPM range. In the high range of the Schulze, this required pulse widths between 1.31 and 1.60 ms (approximately 31% to 60% of full throttle), so I was able to use a single pot to obtain RPMs between a measured 8790 RPM and 11,040 RPM, in 63 intervals (steps of .005 ms) in between. This compares with my Phoenix High RPM calibration of 1.30 to 1.46 ms to get essentially the same range, so the Schulze does appear to have somewhat finer control of the RPM. (I've tested the Hacker A30-10XL ESC in its highest governed RPM mode, in the range of 9,000 to 10,000 RPM, and it is close to the Phoenix.)
    As far as its dynamic ability to maintain RPM under flight conditions, a bench test doesn't answer that question. However, at high currents, it was clear that it was compensating for a decrease in battery voltage by increasing the current.
    It is noteworthy that the Schulze ESC doesn't provide a BEC (to convert the battery voltage to 5 volts to power a timer). However, the cheapest and lightest solution is to add a little 5 volt regulator to the timer's circuit board (see below)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Re: The Schulze F2B ESC
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »
Very interesting, thanks!  :)

Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »
This isn't a comment on the Schulze, but sometimes I wonder why ESC manufacturers don't provide a way to connect to the (now ubiquitous) balancing plug of the battery.  That way you could have the BEC tap into the lower two cells and avoid having to drop mucho volts from the full battery.

Yes this would slightly unbalance the lipo after a flight, but I believe that would be a small thing and easily rectified during the recharge period.

For us the timer could tap into the lowest single cell I bet.

Just daydreaming, looking out my window at CERN and seeing Mont Blanc!

I am sure there are issues (especially with high amp draws from the motor) that might impact the voltage available from this source.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 06:09:30 AM »
hmmmm ... I do not like ESCs withou setting min. rpm ... because r/c oscillator in simple timers withou quartz are not stable enough. We can feel difference of 1%. It is much better if you can set rpm directly in ESC or even better if you can make the from - to range flat, for example from 8000 to 9000 in whole range 1.3 to 2.0ms - so the stability of timer is not any problem.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here