News:

• April 19, 2024, 04:26:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The little brown wire on a KR timer  (Read 1239 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The little brown wire on a KR timer
« on: August 09, 2018, 08:34:31 AM »
Up until now I have been soldering the little brown wire on a KR timer to one of the motor leads on the speed controller (ESC).  I was setting up a new speed controller on my E-Cavalier when it accrued to me that I could just strip the insulation back a little and and stick the exposed end of the wire into the female connector on one of the ESC's motor lead.  I then plugged the  male motor lead in on top of the brown wire..  I used some lacing cord to bundle the 3 motor leads and the brown wire together.   This way if you tug on the brown wire you can't pull it loose.   So far it seem to work and it is much easier to set up.  The other advantage it that you can remove the speed controller without removing the KR timer   #^
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 06:25:37 AM by John Rist »
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
Re: The little brown wire on a KR timer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 05:40:48 AM »
Hi John,
I have discovered this method a year ago and it was working well in my eParrot and mini Bee.
I used three KR Timers having different setups to test the batteries drain for each combination of parameters and needed "cleaner" method. Specifically, the brown wire end was getting worn, was loosing the component wires etc. 

Please see the attached. In my never ending quest to improve, I am using now the additional "stick style", gold plated mini connector (white arrow with pink outline) to connect the brown KR timer wire to one of the ESC motor leads (white arrow with green outline). The thin green wire is trapped in the female ESC EC3 connector the way you described and secured with small piece of scotch tape.

Happy flying,
M

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »
Hi John,
I have discovered this method a year ago and it was working well in my eParrot and mini Bee.
I used three KR Timers having different setups to test the batteries drain for each combination of parameters and needed "cleaner" method. Specifically, the brown wire end was getting worn, was loosing the component wires etc. 

Please see the attached. In my never ending quest to improve, I am using now the additional "stick style", gold plated mini connector (white arrow with pink outline) to connect the brown KR timer wire to one of the ESC motor leads (white arrow with green outline). The thin green wire is trapped in the female ESC EC3 connector the way you described and secured with small piece of scotch tape.

Happy flying,
M
Great minds think alike!!!  :!   I had thought about adding a connector to the brown wire of the KR timer.  One of smallest bullet connectors would be great.  You could then solder a wire with the female connector to the speed controller and the male connector to the KR timer.  All good stuff.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 09:15:17 AM »
I had thought about adding a connector to the brown wire of the KR timer.  One of smallest bullet connectors would be great.  You could then solder a wire with the female connector to the speed controller and the male connector to the KR timer.  All good stuff.

That's exactly what I did.  2mm bullets. That way if you need to remove the ESC you don't have to take the timer with it.  Works a treat!  I actually put connectors on all three leads of the ESC so I'll be able to connect the RPM sensor for my Eagle Tree as well.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:52:19 AM »
Hi David,
Have you ever had problems with your EagleTree equipment?
I have the eLogger and the RPM sensor that I have tried to use to measure the in-flight parameters.
At that time, I was using Cobra 2820/12, Cobra 40+ Amps. ESC, 4S 3000 mAh LiPo and the KR Governor.

I have connected everything correctly and started flying but, only after 15 seconds, the motor stopped. I was lucky....the plane was flying the wheels down and I safely landed. The Eagle Tree people blabbered some explanation that did not make sense at all and stayed mute despite my multiple emails.

I have tried using the eLogger for the ground tests with my current installation: MVVS 8.0 Kv=680, 6S ThunderPower 2800 mAh battery, Spin66 ESC and the active timer from Igor Burger. The motor stopped after 2 seconds that, in my opinion, indicates the conflict between the eLogger and Spin66 ESC and/ or active timer.

The issue remains unsolved as nobody knows why this happened (including Igor).

It is imperative for me to know WHY the motor stopped. It would be extremely useful for everybody flying stunt to measure the current variations during pattern so the question remaining is HOW TO DO IT?

Happy Flying,
M

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
Up to this point, I've used the Eagle Tree only briefly on some ground tests and then without the speed sensor.  I experienced no problems in the short time I've actually used it.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2018, 12:47:04 AM »
I just read up on the Eagle Tree eLogger.  Looks like a really good tool to have if you are using the JR timer with a cheep speed controller that does not have data logging built in.  Looks like the advantage of this system is that you can own one and move it from airplane to airplane.  Perhaps once you get a system dialed in you can unplug the system to save weight.  Once an aircraft is setup and working do pilots look at the data from every flight?  Not ever having data logging capability I don't know how often you look at the data.  I can see using it for prop testing etc but do you need to look at every flight?   ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
Hi Matt,

Its been a while but I seem to remember having problems with the rpm sensor if I connected both wires....motor 1 and motor 2. It worked with only motor 1 wire connected. Did you connect one or two wires?

Keith R
Keith R

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here