News:

• May 10, 2024, 03:19:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to dispose of lipo's?  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
How to dispose of lipo's?
« on: November 24, 2013, 08:30:41 PM »
So reading the puffy thread gave me another question.
What is the best way to dispose of a old or questionable battery?

I have read soak in salt water or drop in a bucket of water. Do you then drop off at a battery recycle center like Home Depot?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:49:34 PM by Paul Taylor »
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: How to depose of lipo's?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 08:42:48 PM »

How to depose of lipo's?

I haven't been able to get a written statement out of one, even after it's charged.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: How to depose of lipo's?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 09:51:03 PM »

How to depose of lipo's?

I haven't been able to get a written statement out of one, even after it's charged.
Response of the year right there ^
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Kreth

• Lieutenant
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: How to dispose of lipo's?
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:18 AM »
Bring it to me and I'll get rid of it.
Kreth McKee AMA 22004

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
once you neutralise them - they are safe for disposal as general refuse. 

In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:03:00 PM »
I have had to get rid of a couple and this is what I do.  Fill a small container with water and add a bunch of salt, then drop the battery in.  When the bubbling stops it's done, this can take a few days.  At this point it is safe to drop it in the trash. 

I have heard rumors that some people drive a wooden stake through it just to make sure it's dead but I have not gone down that path.   VD~
Hope this helps.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:53 PM »
There's a lot of contention about the salt water trick as many feel you're not discharging the lipo, merely corroding the tabs off the cell, leaving the cell still charged.

IF you're going to do this I suggest you discharge the battery as far as you dare before starting, so that the end result is more likely to be a fully discharged pack rather than a small bomb.
Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 11:20:40 PM »
This is from LithoPedia:
As you can see,  lithium cells/packs can be very dangerous. Just throwing them in the rubbish is not safe enough

1. ask you local battery retailer if they will take your old batteries and recycle them
2. lower the voltage of the pack by loading it all the way down below 1.5V, then soak the packs in salt water for 2 - 3 days

Source engineer
saehen enertec korea  j r kim cheif engineer
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:32 AM »
I too have read that the salt water trick really doesn't work. What I now do is use a few auto light bulbs with connectors attached and discharge the batteries until they are DEAD DEAD DEAD!!!! This is NEVER EVER DONE INDOORS!!!! In my case it is done outside on a concrete slab, in the middle of my yard, away from anything  flammable. Putting them in a ceramic flower pot or in a cinder block will also work well as long as its out doors. I usually leave them hooked up for at least 24 hours and verify with a volt meter that they are at zero voltage!!! At this point you can clip the connectors off them if you want and dispose of them in the trash or recycle them if that's what's required in your area.
AMA 98010

Offline Keith Renecle

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 11:20:54 PM »
The auto lamps work fine. I couldn't find any in my junk box last time I needed to get rid of a couple of lipos, but I did have a hot-wire foam cutter lying around, so a stuck a Deans plug on it and it worked well. I just left it on for a few days until it was dead flat, and then chucked it into the garbage. It's quite amazing to see how these cells do not want to die, so they need quite a few days sometimes.

On the warning side, we had a well known R/C modeller out here that lost his whole house (not just the garage) just recently, all of his huge collection of models, plus a BMW car when one lipo was being charged in his garage. These days lipos are a lot safer than before, but don't get lax when charging or discharging.

Keith R
Keith R

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »
I took a job recently working at the local hobby shop a couple of day a week.  You would not believe the batteries I see brought into the shop.  Some guy came in today with a puffy battery, he laughed when I suggested he get rid of the battery.  "No he says, I just take a pin and puncture the plastic to let the gas out.  The batteries are not as good as new but still usable."  Now I know the R/C guys have been using LiPo's longer than us but some of these guys scare me.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline Curare

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »
that's something that an idiot will only do once, and after that he may not have any fingers left to do it again.

It's been a common sight to see RC models burst into flame after hitting the deck, and thankfully I haven't had one go up after I've connected with terra firma, but it's quite possible that if you deck an electric C/L model you may have a fire on your hands, even hours after you've gone home.

Treat any decked, bent, mangled or puffed pack with suspicion, and like Andrew said, discharge them out of the house, until they are dead.

Greg Kowalski
AUS 36694

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2013, 08:14:20 PM »
I would say stay with IC power, but remember a few years ago when someone lost his car and all it contents when a glow plug clip still attached to the battery got against the metal fuel can the guy used to use.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here