News:

• April 19, 2024, 01:24:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: System funnies after crash  (Read 528 times)

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
System funnies after crash
« on: June 28, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
I have a plane with an Eflite 32, Igor active timer, Jet spin 66, and 6s 2600 Zippy battery and I crashed.  It died on a pullup, probably due to an old weak battery, and went straight into the concrete.

The motor was toast.  Timer and ESC physically looked fine.  Rebuilt frontend and replaced motor, another E32.  I figure the components saw about 148 gs on impact.

After reassembly, the system flies for about a minute or so at normal speed and then drops down to about 50% power for about a half a minute and cycles like this for the timer duration.

I traded out the ESC with another 66 and it did essentially the same thing.

Could timer be damaged? although it programs fine and starts and runs the motor.

Could accel. be damaged and cause something like this.

Could failure to do recalibration run cause this?

Can I power timer with 5v supply and send output to oscilloscope to watch pulses?

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: System funnies after crash
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2020, 07:37:44 PM »
I have a plane with an Eflite 32, Igor active timer, Jet spin 66, and 6s 2600 Zippy battery and I crashed.  It died on a pullup, probably due to an old weak battery, and went straight into the concrete.

The motor was toast.  Timer and ESC physically looked fine.  Rebuilt frontend and replaced motor, another E32.  I figure the components saw about 148 gs on impact.

After reassembly, the system flies for about a minute or so at normal speed and then drops down to about 50% power for about a half a minute and cycles like this for the timer duration.

I traded out the ESC with another 66 and it did essentially the same thing.

Could timer be damaged? although it programs fine and starts and runs the motor.

Could accel. be damaged and cause something like this.

Could failure to do recalibration run cause this?

Can I power timer with 5v supply and send output to oscilloscope to watch pulses?
Ouch - Did you replace your pilot figure?  That crash probably scared the cr** out of him and he is throttling back. LL~

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2020, 07:45:58 PM »
Its a little Jack-in-the-Box car antenna head.  He survived, although his eyes are a little bloodshot.

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2020, 10:25:30 PM »
Did you "reprogram" the the replacement ESC.  I'm thinking the ESC is seeing it hit either a voltage or current limit and throttles back and then the limit isn't reached and throttles back up and so on.  I'd go through the complete set up with the box again just to make sure.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2020, 11:03:28 PM »
Yes, yes but probably not, maybe but I doubt it, and yes.

But Christ's suggestion is probably the best.

It's unlikely that a damaged timer would cause such structured difficulties.  Ditto a damaged accelerometer.  I'm guessing at how Igor's timer works, but I wouldn't expect this bad of problems from a lack of calibration.

And yes, you can run it off of 5V and look at it with an O-scope.  It's kind of interesting to do that and wave the accelerometer around.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2020, 11:28:31 PM »
So if the ESC problem is eliminated, the simplest and proper solutions is to sent that timer to me, I can measure it all.

BUT ... if you want be sure that accelerometer is problem, simply set sensitivity in timer to 0 and test, if it works on costant speed properly all the time, it is the case.

However from what you described, the problem is somewhere between timer and ESC, cable or connector. Such behavior can happen because ESC has some kind of "elongation" of lost signal, means if timer fails and stops sending signal, ESC will use last for 1 or 2 seconds. So it looks like broken connector between timer and ESC. If it is new timer with replacable cable, try new cable. If is old, better is to send it back to me.

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2020, 08:12:41 AM »
Thanks to all of you for your prompt inputs ....
I think Igor hit it.  (I was hoping you would see this post and input) :)

After close inspection last night, .... I found that the connection between the timer and the ESC (wire on ESC side of connection) had suffered an impact of some kind in the 148G landing.  The brown wire had been hit by something and smashed.  I don't know why I didn't see it as I reassembled the parts, but I'm getting old and it was a very small nick. 

The only thing loose in that compartment was the ferrite ring.  I examined the smashed wire with a "jewelers loupe"  and saw that the majority of the little copper wires on the brown line were cut but maybe just one of two strands might have been intact in the center.  This very closely matches Igor's scenario.  I put the copper back into a cohesive lump and put a drop of solder on it for a quick test today.  I'll report the results.

Online Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2020, 08:23:26 AM »
Be carefull, there could be more problems like that. It can also make glitches which will cause landing and again restart - can be danger.

BTW - it is always better to wrirte me if someone post something what needs my attention, I do not read it here on daily base and I do not read all threads.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2020, 11:57:39 AM »
After reassembly, the system flies for about a minute or so at normal speed and then drops down to about 50% power for about a half a minute and cycles like this...

Frank, we can’t hear you when you make that sound.

Wait.  Maybe it’s because I didn’t know that there is sound on Stunthangar.  How do you turn it on?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline frank williams

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2020, 07:40:51 PM »
..... it took me awhile, most of your clever observations do ....

How about ....it goes like this .......

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here