News:

• March 28, 2024, 12:47:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SV-11 Construction Update  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Vincent Judd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
SV-11 Construction Update
« on: December 08, 2012, 06:39:34 PM »
Don't you just hate it when life gets in the way of your hobbies?  I hate it even more so when some of my hobbies get in the way of my other hobbies.  Having four full time hobbies (drag racing, golf, 3d R/C flying and Control Line flying) plus a full time job and a full time wife makes it really tough to get one project completely finished before starting on the next one.  Plus I have ADD when it comes to all my hobbies, I often stop one thing to pick up another and you know how that usually turns out.  My wife is constantly urging me to stick with one project until it's finished but I'm always thinking "well, while the glue is drying on this plane, I can change the jetting in my carb or maybe reset my valves, etc, etc."  Not a good way to keep things on track.

Anyway, I'm not whining, life is good.  I'm attaching photos of my new SV-11 ARF.   

I flew in a couple of contests last summer with my Vector, which I liked very much, but I wanted something a little bigger and more able to handle various wind conditions.  My good buddy and stunt mentor Mike Palko steered me toward the SV-11, and well, here we are.

I powered it with an E Flite 32, Ice Lite 50 ESC and one of Will Hubin's FM_9 timers.  I just got some props from Dennis Adamisin, I"m going with the 13 X 4.5 to see how it feels.  I haven't really decided on a battery yet, something in the 3300 to 3700 range most likely.   I've decided to try the Anderson Power Pole connectors on this plane, I am not a big fan of the Dean's connectors.  I'll let you know how it turns out.

I completely gutted the fuselage, removing all of the maple engine bearers.  I made the top of the fuselage removable for battery access.  I'm hoping that one of these days we'll be able to buy electric versions of these great planes without all the extra junk under the hood that we just have to remove anyway.  I pleaded my case with John Brodak when I stopped and talked to both he and Dennis at Toledo, not sure if I made my point or not.  In all honesty, I'm just grateful that we have this great platform to start with, I don't have much time to build anymore (see reasons above).  Thanks to Brodak for providing these awesome planes for us.

After speaking with a few guys last summer about the wing mounted landing gear in the SV-11, I decided to change to fuselage mounted gear.  Mike gave me a brand new CF landing gear that he wasn't using and I made up a plywood mount for it.  No worries about ripping the gear out of the wing.

I also ditched the cowling that came with the ARF.  I just couldn't get it to fit properly, wasn't happy with it.  I built a balsa cowl and permanently attached it.  My battery loads from the top, I mounted my ESC and my timer in the cooling area in the bottom of the cowl.

I decided to start with 63 foot lines and take it from there.  Hopefully that will be in the ballpark.

I do have one question.  Does anyone know what blue covering will match the blue that's the trim on the bottom of the airplane?  I need to get some to finish off my new cowling. 

Well, that's about it, hope to have it finished by the end of the year.  My race car is calling me, it's jealous that I'm not spending time working on it.   Like I said, life is good.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone.

Vince

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
Re: SV-11 Construction Update
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 06:42:05 PM »
More photos

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 06:46:03 PM »
Forgot to mention, in my spare time, I've always wanted to learn how to play the drums.  One of my flying buddies loaned me this set to practice on.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
Looking good Vince!  Power 32 is a great choice.  Your install looks very secure & neat too. 

I think if you call Brodak, they have color-matches for the ARF coverings. 

At last report John B was still trying to get a new supplier for the ARF's & ARC's.  I would expect in the future that his new birds would be like the T-Rex (firewall) that should be a little more interchangable for 2 stroke, 4 stroke or ECL.

Oh yeah, NICE PROP!  8)

( you knew THAT was coming...)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 11:11:45 AM »
Hi Vince,
I've been flying an SV-11 with e-power for the last two years and am approaching 170 flights . My motor is front mounted using one of Bob Hunt's G10 composite mounts; available from Robin's View. Front mounting has many benefits. The beauty of his mount, besides strength,  is that it accepts E-15-32 and allows for cooling passage. Initially, I used  an E-25 and went with the E-32 (5S a must) for more overhead punch.
Please don't take what I'm about to say as criticism; that's not my intent. You are still in the construction phase , so changes, if you desire can be made.
I notice that you cut the engine mounting beams flush with the l.e.  Flush cuts eventually crack. That is an area of considerable  flight-induced  stress. Try making radius cuts.  Also, you  entirely  removed the beams from the tank compartment and nose area. In my SV-11,  the beams extend full thickness about two inches into the tank compartment  then are trimmed back to roughly 1/8" and then return to full thickness one inch before the motor mount all the way to the nose ring. Point is, the beams remain an integral part of the nose and at the least, you need something other than the doubler to keep the front cheeks rigid. While it is true that electric motors , as a rule, don't vibrate -unless the prop, spinner, or motor shaft are unbalanced; there is the potential for severe oscillation if the motor goes out of phase or a bearing freezes.
Also, the E-32 can spike 60amp, so the Ice Light 50 is too small. Recommend moving to the 75 or if you can find one, a Phoenix 45( 60AmP spike rated).
While it maybe too late to resurrect the beams, I highly recommend that you install two internal crutches  made of 1/8" 5 ply plywood that tab, top and bottom,  into F3( former at the l.e.) and the motor mount.Besides strength, they'll help you position the battery for whatever mount system you use and I don't recommend Velcro for that purpose.
Hope you don't mind; I debated responding, but it could be a safety issue. Electric motors are tremendously powerful and you don't want to hurt yourself /someone else;much less ruin a model.
BTW, you couldn't find a better mentor than Mike!

Offline Frank Imbriaco

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • At the 69 Willow Grove NATS with J.D. FALCON II
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
Hi Vince,
I reinspected your photos again and it appears as though you did radius the beam cuts at the l.e and motor mount.
Best,
Frank

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:44:41 PM »
Hello Frank.  I  wanted to thank you for taking the time to express your concerns about my installation.  There are some missing pieces to the puzzle that aren't apparent in my photos as all the parts and pieces were not in place at the time I took the pictures.  For one, there is a plywood battery tray that fills the entire tank compartment and is glued all the way around.  There is also the tray that I mount my electronic gear on, just below that, same situation.  These two pieces add a great deal to the structural integrity of the nose of the airplane.

As you mentioned, I did radius all of my corners and took the time to re glue everything.

This is an identical setup to what I used in my Vector.  Once finished, it's pretty darn strong, and I think it will last me for quite a while, or at least I hope it will.  I will take some more photos when I  get all the pieces together.  If you have a chance, I'd love to see any photos you may have of your installation, I'm still learning about this electric stuff.  I can't believe how much trouble I'm having trying to stuff 10 pounds of electronic gear into a 5 pound fuselage.  I've been staring at this thing for days on end, trying different positions for everything, looking for the cleanest installation.  Seeing how others have accomplished that goal can be very helpful.

I guess I messed up with the choice of the Ice Lite 50 for the E Flite 32.  Before I ordered it, I looked at what others were using for that motor and thought that was a good choice.  I'll give it a try and see what happens.  Worst case, I can always use it in one of my R/C planes.

Thanks again, your advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 02:24:24 PM »
Well, I finally had a chance to call Brodak.  Spoke with a very nice lady who pretty much told me that she couldn't help me since they no longer had any SV-11's in stock.  She had no idea which blue film was used on the ARF's.  They have a light blue film, but she wasn't sure if it was the same exact shade.  They are having a 2 for 1 sale if anyone needs any film covering.  I really don't want one roll of sky blue covering, let alone two rolls, so I'm hesitant to make a purchase, especially since I'm not even sure if it's the correct shade of blue. 

Outside of ripping all of the blue trim off and replacing it, I'm at a loss unless someone out there knows what the specs are on the blue trim film used for the SV-11.

The good news is that I finally figured out all of my wiring, put everything together and even test ran it to make sure that it was OK.  I'll be ready for the first nice spring day for sure.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »
Well, I finally had a chance to call Brodak.  Spoke with a very nice lady who pretty much told me that she couldn't help me since they no longer had any SV-11's in stock.  She had no idea which blue film was used on the ARF's.  They have a light blue film, but she wasn't sure if it was the same exact shade.  They are having a 2 for 1 sale if anyone needs any film covering. 

I was told from John at Brodak the PT#1810 Lite Blue will match the Blue Legacy. which I think it is the same Blue on the SV-11.

http://brodak.com/brodak-kolar-kote-covering-light-blue.html

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 08:15:12 PM »
Thanks Joe, I just ordered some.  I'll let you know if it matches.

Appreciate the help.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:17:21 PM »
Well I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that Brodak's Lite Blue BH1810 is a perfect match for the blue trim on the SV-11

Don't know about the Legacy.

The bad news is that I now have two rolls of the stuff and all I needed was a small patch.

If anyone needs any of this film, shoot me a pm and I'll send it to you for the shipping costs.

Offline Vincent Judd

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:31:20 AM »
I finally finished it up last night.  Now just waiting for some warm weather so that I can get out there and start practicing.  Really like the overall lines of this airplane, can't wait to see it on the end of my lines going through the pattern.  Final weight is 71 ounces with an 18oz, 3700 Rhino battery which I'm hoping is too much capacity.

How do you calculate how big of a battery you're going to need?

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 10:04:18 AM »
What a beautiful job of conversion!  It looks like it was originally built and finished like that; you would never know anything was changed. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 12:56:28 PM »
Final weight is 71 ounces with an 18oz, 3700 Rhino battery which I'm hoping is too much capacity.

How do you calculate how big of a battery you're going to need
I've been flying SV11 and SV22 for the past 4 years on 4s 3800 -4s 4000mah and using around 2500-2800mah out of them. My batteries weiegh around 14-15 oz. You should easily be able top use like a 5s 3000- 5s3300 and find batteries in the 14-15oz range which would drop 3-4 oz off the weight of your plane and I'd bet it will balance better too. Even this 5s 3700 mah pack weighs about 3oz less than yours http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=33139 Whenever I look at hobby king batteries I always use the battery locator on thier website then sort by wieght first then location as I always try to buy from the US warehouse. They actually have a 5s 3000 in the 13-14 oz range.
AMA 98010

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here