News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:40:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Survey: Battery FACTS please  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Survey: Battery FACTS please
« on: October 01, 2009, 09:06:41 AM »
We have been having lot's of discussions about the advantages and disadvantages of cheap Lipos versus expensive Lipos versus large versus small versus... you get the idea.  Folks, unfortunately we are generating lots of heat but not much light.  Thus in the tradition of the "Getting Amp'ed Up" forum, I propose that we collectively start posting FACTS about battery life that replaces estimates & speculation.  From what I have read a lot of folks are keeping good flight logs, hopefully we can share these about:

* the REAL size/weight/dimensions, not just what was published  Also C ratings
* cost
* application data like how the pack was used, how deeply discharged, how charged, temperature data (if known) etc
* any unusual circumstances - was the pack ever over discharged, crashed, frozen, overheat or...?
* number of cycles before they died.
" what kind of charger was used? charging rate?  Balancing method?  Balanced how often?
* Info on how you KNOW (knew) the packs were going south
* perhaps we do not need to sait for a pack to die.  Maybe milestones like "50 cycles still going strong" would be worthwhile?
* Anything else?

* Perhaps this could be a Sticky???

I hope that we can replace the speculation with some good old fashioned DATA.  However, based on what I have read I am not even really sure HOW MANY folks have actually worn out their Lipo's yet?  Real data may be scarce but I think we can set the table anyway...

FEEDBACK?  SUGGESTIONS FOR OTHER THINGS TO TRACK?

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Survey: Battery FACTS please
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 09:34:28 AM »
OK, I can start with A123 ... just to see difference between Life and LIpol

battery is 6s A123

weight 440g (16oz)

cost  ~150USD - I am not sure, it is just recalculated from price here in europe

pack is installed and fixed in fuselage, charged inside and sealed to keep warm

charging 10A in 18 minutes
ballanced every 10-20 cycles, typically not necessary, it is self balancing while extensive usage, needs balancing after longer sleeping :-)

actually having 3 packs, one is 3 years old one is 2 years old and one is from this spring - each of them has ~400 cycles, no signs of degradation, may be few mAh of capacity

capacity is typically used to its edge ... I charge back ~2100mah, few times landed on low voltage when I tried to repeat figures, the capacity is enough for 5 minutes long flight with APCE 12x6 in 1800g (64oz) heavy models

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 10:16:35 AM »
HI Dennis - This is a subject that is going to be very informative.There are two
things that I think impact Li-Po battery life besides using them in flight. I am sure
that some will disagree. The first is how you break in a battery before you fly it.
The second is how do you adjust the voltage when you store them between flying seasons.
These things may seem to have a small impact on Battery life  But I have noticed
some real performance differences over the lifespan of some of my batteries.

Walt Brownell

Offline ptg

• 2014 Supporters
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 10:49:42 AM »
Walt,

Please do tell.  Maybe start another thread.  Your findings would be appreciated since I just got my Electric Learners Permit!

Thanks,
Phil
PT Granderson

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 12:47:28 PM »
Since I have switched to the TP400 5S2P packs, I don't have any with enough time to "wear" one out. I'm at about 40 flights on the high time 4000 5S2P packs.

On my old packs, the TP 5S2P 4200 version, I wore the high time battery out after 120 flights. I keep log books on every battery for every flight, so I have the records. At flight 118 everything was perfectly normal, the discharge voltage, the charge mah, and the fully charged voltage. However, on flight 119, it slowed down "just" before the timer shut it off. Odd I thought. It was not too drained, and the balance of all the cells was fine. It charged OK, no imbalances or excessive mah input. On flight 120, it slowed down in the hourglass and limped it's way to the timer shutoff. This time, there was a cell that was WAY low on voltage. It was not apparent on the previous charge.  That was its last flight.

Please note that this was my FIRST LiPo battery ever. It was used for many different experiments, and not babied at all. In fact, it was discharges to within ~100 mah of its capacity, at least twice. There was NO break-in of this battery either. 

I have one more of these batteries with over 100 flights, but I have not flown the plane with these batteries for over a year now. The batteries have been sitting at 19.0 volts for that length of time...Just waiting for another chance..

I now "break" them in. I start at 1/4C and charge to full. Then I discharge. Then recharge at 3/8C to full, then discharge. This is repeated at 1/8C increments until I am charging them at 1C rates. Then I go fly them.

Paul Walker

Offline Mike Anderson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »

I now "break" them in. I start at 1/4C and charge to full. Then I discharge. Then recharge at 3/8C to full, then discharge. This is repeated at 1/8C increments until I am charging them at 1C rates. Then I go fly them.

Paul Walker

Paul:

How do you discharge and at what rate (& to what level)?  Thanks.

Mike@   AMA 10086
Central Iowa

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 01:52:31 PM »
I fly indoors in winter time with lipos, I store them for summer charged to 3,65V per cell balanced on charger for LiFe and then I put them to refrigerator

I do it several years and I did not find any visible difference after unpacking - measured capacity and internal resistance

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
Re: Survey: Life Cycle
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
I hope this is helpful.
The graph shows the loss of capacity of a sample LiPo with use. In these tests the battery was discharged at only 1C. We typically discharge at 5C to 8C so the loss of capacity would likely come much sooner. I've had some heavily used batteries go "west" at 30 cycles or less. I believe batteries rated 20C or higher should hold up well when used at 5-8C.

Also a good overview of LiPos is given at this link
http://www.batteryuniversity.com/

The graph was found by Googeling LoPo cycle life.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 06:05:30 AM »
Yes Jim, but those are not cells which we fly, A123 has after 400 cycles in my stunter much smaller degradation - for example I discharged 2150mAh from the new pack and 2000 after 400 real flights. And I know people having 1000 flight and still using them and they do not feel any need to change them (R/C guys)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 08:23:54 AM »
Igor,
Actually those are the Lipo cells I use! (at least the manufacturer).

So if I go by that plot, I'd get about 100+ flights I guess. Not too bad for the original $65 outlay I guess.

I suppose when a pack begins to hit close to 100% throttle at the end of the flight, then the end is near!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
Jim,
on these packs you have had go "west", what brands were they?
what Mah capacity were the cells,,
did you balance while charging and how often?
how far did you draw the batteries down when you were using them.
Information is only helpfull to us if we have ALL the parameters involved so that we can judge how it reflects on our usage
Please, share the rest of the info with us
thanks
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:39 AM »
I fly 1/2A planes: a flat foamy and a baby clown. The batteries I used previously were Common Sense RC. The last ones were rated 15C at 700 mah. I typically flew them at 10C-12C but dont remember if I waited until full run down. But they only lasted less that 30 cycles. I am now using Hyperion Generation 3 850 mah cells rated at 25C continuous.  I use tham at about 12C. I only have about 20 cycles on them but they are going strong. I stop the flights at about 80% of the mah capacity in hope of extending cycle life.

I dont know if this will help others but I will use them in a 3P arrangement to get 2550 mah to fly my Super Clown.
Its a little messy to wire the harness for them but they can then be used for both 1/2A planes and the Super Clown.

PS:
I check the balance of my packs periodically but only have to rebalance when they are stored a long time like over winter. I also tried one Thunder Power pro-lite 910 mah but it did no better than the Common Sense batteries and was more expensive. Thats why I went to Hyperion Generation 3. It is a different chemistry/construction.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 09:49:37 AM by Jim Moffatt »

Offline Paul Walker

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 01:22:18 PM »
Paul:

How do you discharge and at what rate (& to what level)?  Thanks.

I use a Thunder Power 1010C charger, and it has the option of discharging. I discharge at about 1/4 C.  It takes a while to get down to 3.8 volts/cell.

Paul

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 08:32:19 PM »
Hello Jim,
80% of capacity use is already verging on over-use, especially if you are running higher than 7 or 8C average current.
Dean P.
Dean Pappas

Offline Jim Moffatt

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
Dean
I agree on the capacity statement. I am trying 80% capaciity since my 1/2A planes are very weight sensitive. But the (Hyperion 3S 850 mah) batteries cost only $19 so I can afford to "burn out" one or two. So far they are looking good at 80% drain.

On the C statement I believe but cant prove yet that its the C that you use ralative to the batterys rated continuous C limit. The Hyperion batteries are rated 25C and I am using them at 10C to 12C. Thats only 50% of rated continuous current. Again time will tell how they work out at this load level.
Best
Jim

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi Jim,
If the cost isn't a problem then have at it!
battery ratings are not done to a real standard, but using all of the useful capacity in four minutes is bound to be heavy use. Still, at $19 a pack it ain't a big deal, with a 4S 4000 at near $100 that's another story.
Enjoy,
Dean
Dean Pappas

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 08:06:44 AM »
HI Guys- Here are some "facts" published in Quiet Flyer magazine in Jan 2007.
The best possible capacity retention for Li-Poly batteries is obtained when you store them half- charged and keep them cold around 32Degrees F. This results in a 2% loss of capacity per year. The next best is 4% loss per year when stored at 75 Degrees F.
Half charged = 3.81 volts/cell no load pack voltage
6S pack = 22.86 volts
5S pack = 19.05 volts
4S pack = 15.24 volts
3S pack = 11.43 volts

When refrigerated a battery should be placed in a plastic bag to protect against
condensation.

I have been storing my 4S batteries since 2007 at 65-70 Degrees F   

Walt Brownell

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 08:20:02 AM »
Right, I store batteries in refrigerator, as I already wrote. The voltage 3.8V per pack is not "best", it is "safest". The best is 3.6V, but it is only little over 0% capacity and small self charging can damage the battery, so therefore batteries should be charged to ~50% what is approximatly 3.8V. Such a battery is safe to store also warm when self dischrging current is higher (compared to cold battery).

3.6V is better, but battery must be stored ballanced and must be stored cold.

And regarding that plastic pack - yes, the battery must be stored in plastic pack, but not only that, it must be especially in that pack during warming up. That is time where water condensates on battery leads and it causes corrosion. I have seen disconnected alu leads from battery because of corrosion.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here