News:

• April 26, 2024, 10:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stuck prop shaft collet  (Read 1199 times)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Stuck prop shaft collet
« on: September 19, 2019, 07:25:55 PM »
I can believe this. I slid the collet on too far so the prop hits the cowl. Took the prop off and can't get the collet removed no matter what I try. At this point I may as well have crashed my plane. Should I try a blow torch and heat it? Assuming I don't incinerate the plane.
Eflite 25. True turn spinner and collet.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Stuck prop shaft collet
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 07:26:44 PM »
I do have a mouthpiece puller for trumpets. I wonder if I can slide it into there...

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 07:40:09 PM »
There are several products like these, including on HobbyKing.  Not all fit if they have to go into the cowl opening.  If you search the terms, you can find what you need.

https://rcdude.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=puller

We made one similar to this,

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/propeller-adapter-puller-pinion-gear-puller.html

then ground the corners and edges until it just fit in.  At the price, your can grind one down and toss it if ruined.

Fred

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 09:23:44 PM »
Your eyes are probably better than mine.  I thoughts that the slots were mostly covered, meaning the outside ring is on, compressing.  The pullers are for that.  It there are two pieces in the picture, then the pullers work.  If not, then correct, you don't gain by pulling and pushing on the same part.  I tried screw drivers and about crushed the nose ring.  I could not get the motor out with the collet in place.

I never put the collet on quite so far again.  It will potentially stick if it bottoms out on the shaft.
Fred

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 11:07:18 PM »
Okay, problem fixed for now. Thanks for the information. I took the motor out, took two screwdrivers to it and got it free. Cleaned it really good before putting it back on.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »
I have had similar issues with getting the collet on too far to clear the prop.  Put something into the collet hole, anything, even balsa, that won't stick so that you can get it out, to prevent putting it on too far.  Even with that I put a 1/32" shim behind the prop when tightening it.  Just make sure that the shaft completely covers the slots in the collet or it won't tighten properly.  Personally, I have gone back to rear mounts as much as possible because of all the problems I have had with collets.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Online Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:09:06 AM »
That’s has happened to me also I have pullers.but something I just put a nut on shaft so not to mess up the threads and just tap on the end of shaft and it comes off!
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 07:37:58 AM »
If it were mine I would take a Dremmel saw and cut off the collet clamping ring.  You will destroy the collet adapter and need a new one but it should get you back in the air.   Or perhaps grab the locking ring with vice grip pliers and tap the adapter with a hammer.    Anything to get the adapter ring to release will solve the problem.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 02:15:29 PM »
A realy easy way to solve thiss problem is to cut off a very short of silicone tubing, about 1/8" long and put it into the collet hole.  Bottom the collet onto the motor shaft and install the prop tightening the prop nut.  Take the prop off and check to see if the collet is loose.  If it seems like it is locked, place a small block of hard wood on the the prop shaft end and tap the block firmly a time or two with a small hammer or better yet a wooden mallet. The slight movement the collet assembly makes toward the motor should release the collet.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 03:38:49 PM »
Alan has a good idea. I went to the trouble of making a puller. Wish I would have followed Alan's idea.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 05:39:48 PM »
All very interesting but in post #5 says he got it off.   Even I posted a solution after he said that he got it off.      ::)      However it is great how we are willing to share info on this board.  It's all GOOD!   #^   #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »
I don't think I implied to give a smack to the assembly to unlock the collet.  Tapping is a long ways from a smack.  Besides if your motor shaft is a tight fit on your bearings, your bearings probably won't last all that long.  I've used ceramic bearings and didn't  see all that much gain in motor life.  If you want to get better bearing life, I feel the best option is to invest a higher quality motor.

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 08:13:28 AM »
Wow, you guys definitely are helpful. Update. Plane was flying great. Took it to it's second contest and tried a grass take off. Plane nosed over and prop strike. Motor had a puff of smoke. So, I've got a new motor in it now and it's flying great. Thanks again for all the help.
David

Online John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 08:53:51 AM »
Wow, you guys definitely are helpful. Update. Plane was flying great. Took it to it's second contest and tried a grass take off. Plane nosed over and prop strike. Motor had a puff of smoke. So, I've got a new motor in it now and it's flying great. Thanks again for all the help.
David

Don't know what timer you are using however a KR timer would have saved your motor.  Also unplug and re-plug the battery and you would have been ready to try again.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2019, 05:50:24 PM »
I have the hubin with a castle esc. I think there is an eac setting that I didn't do properly. Before I changed the settings I had about three prop strikes in grass and never did any damage. This time it just kept trying until the motor smoked. I need to fix that before my next grass flying. I have a kr too, but different plane.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here