News:

• March 28, 2024, 10:23:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storing LiPo to 3.85-3.86 Volts/cells  (Read 904 times)

Offline Matt Piatkowski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Storing LiPo to 3.85-3.86 Volts/cells
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:14:36 PM »
Hello,
I am forced to use the charger that stores LiPo to 3.85-3.86 Volts/cells.
This number cannot be lowered to 3.81-3.82 v./cells that is generally considered the storage voltage.

Is there any negative effect of storing LiPo having a slightly higher storage voltage?

I am using TP 6S 2800mAh 25C. These batteries will be in constant use until November 2021. Only when the weather is bad, I will have to store them, say, for 3-4 days. Otherwise, I will be flying each day.

Regards,
M

Offline PerttiMe

• Admiral
Re: Storing LiPo to 3.85-3.86 Volts/cells
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 01:46:05 AM »
Those numbers are close enough. And your storage periods are so short that EXACT voltage is even less critical.
I built a Blue Pants as a kid. Wish I still had it. Might even learn to fly it.

Offline Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 06:08:24 AM »
Otherwise, I will be flying each day.
If only..... H^^

Have you considered a second inexpensive charger just for storage?  I had one and took it to the field for those days that you just had to fly one more time.  I also doubt that the small difference in voltage over that short period will damage the battery.  I flew two sets of 4 weekly and I would leave them at the "post flight" voltage till the next weekend.  Only ones I would draw down were the ones I didn't use.  Both sets were still good after almost 2 years.  Probably not the best battery discipline but it worked for me.

Ken

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Fred Underwood

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 11:36:05 AM »
CellPro PowerLab 6 and 8 use 3.86v for storage cutoff, but that voltage falls a bit the first hour.  PowerLab is generally regarded as one of the top chargers, so probably a reliable number to use.  You can also select a different voltage if desired, on PL's.  Does it stop at 3.86v while charging?  If so, what is the voltage and % charge after an hour? 

http://www.revolectrix.com/support_docs/PowerLab_8_users_guide_v2_r3%20082211.pdf

I have seen various voltage numbers recommended that equate to about 40 - 60% charge for storage.  The % changes quite a bit for a very small voltage change in that voltage range. 

Fred

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 01:45:34 AM »
You can also select a different voltage if desired, on PL's

This is what I do. Run a few cycles to get an accurate fuel table then set it higher.

I prefer to storage charge at 60%.( 3.87V)  The damage will be done doing either of the following. Leaving it full or leaving it too low the voltage drops below a level where you wont revive it.

Slightly higher is better than slightly lower..
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here