News:

• May 01, 2024, 12:51:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Storage question for the battery experts.  (Read 408 times)

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Storage question for the battery experts.
« on: November 14, 2011, 05:00:24 PM »
My charger has a storage feature, when left alone it will take the battery down to 34%.   The question I have is there any reason to take the battery down below 50% for storage.  I have read that 50% is a good storage value, batteries I have received read 50% when I check them with the Hyperion meter and I can hook the meter up to the battery during the storage process.  This allows me to monitor the battery and shut down the process at 50%, but I don't want to do that if it is not good for the battery.

Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
Re: Storage question for the battery experts.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 06:31:50 PM »
Hi Andrew,
I've read allot on lipo storage on RC Groups.com. The general consensus is around 50% but anywhere around 3.8V per cell seems to be fine. If you are not going to be using your batteries for even a few days, most of the battery experts (especially Everyday flyer on RCG) feel they should be taken down to storage levels. I now only recharge the night before I plan on flying or even that morning. If I don't use a battery that day I take it back to storage mode. That method seems to work well for me as my batteries have stayed strong. If I'm not going to use a battery for at least a few weeks I put them in double freezer bags and store them in my secondary refrigerator. I also let them come back up to room temp (24 hours), before I charge them. This may require a little pre-planning for those that do not have the ability to charge multiple batteries at fast rates. I can charge about 5 batteries every 20 minutes from storage levels.
William
AMA 98010

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
Re: Storage question for the battery experts.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
Thanks for the information William, I will save off your reply.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here