News:

• May 04, 2024, 01:04:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Startup of ECL system??  (Read 881 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Startup of ECL system??
« on: February 29, 2008, 08:07:18 PM »
I am getting close to getting ready to program the ESC and timer and realized I don't know how to start the system up!!!! Once I plug everything in what happens once I turn on the power switch??? How do I get into program mode on the ESC (CC45)? I have a pretty go idea how to do the Ztron timer but still don't know the steps. Any ideas?

Thanks,  Dennis

Alan Hahn

Re: Startup of ECL system??
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 10:11:06 AM »
Dennis,
Take a couple of deep breaths, sit down, and pick up the instructions!

The Ztron is pretty easy, especially if you are also an RC flyer. By that I mean I usually hook up a normal 4.8V nicad receiver pack to the "so-called" retract connector (please make sure you plug it correctly by looking at the instruction sheet). I always read the instructions because there are slight differences between the jmp-2 and ztron, so I tend to forget.

I think you have the Castle Link connector. First you need to install the castle-link software, so look at the instruction sheet.
Once installed, plug in the USB cable and board, then plug in the ESC using the throttle connector connector. Launch the CC software and then program away.

Some of this is iterative, since if you choose governor mode, you may need to go back and forth before with the Ztron you get the rpm you want.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 01:50:28 PM »
Alan,

Instructions are read, Castle Link is loaded to laptop, battery in ship is charged. Now I removed the prop (just in case). Ok, CLink is connected to the throttle plug in. Do I next power switch on? How does the CC45 know to go into program mode from CLink? Once I get there the instructions are OK. I just don't want to toast something. If I set for Governor mode and set the timer for 90% start and 90% motor end which one should govern the rpm setting?

Best,
Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
Dennis,
As I think I mentioned somewhere else, I always program my ESC out of the plane (no laptop!) and not connected to the motor at all. That way there is no prop to worry.
When you plug in the ESC to the link and start the application, it will automatically talk to the ESC.

Alan

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:10:37 PM »
Alan,

Got the CC45 programed, seems you don't need to power up once you plug into the CastleLink (got a motor start when I turned on power switch prior to know it was not needed).

Now I then plugged in the Ztron3 timer and following the instructions held down the PB while turning on the power. ESC beeps I then set the timer to ID#1 and program for 70% motor start (Dip 6+2+1) and push the PB then set for ID#2, push the PB and set the same setting for end motor, push PB then set for ID #34 and set for a 20 sec (DIP 2) motor delay, also set the low voltage for 6V, all others at default. Atfer turning off system I then power on to test and -----Nothing. I repeated the programing and still nothing. Did I miss something ?

Best,       Dennis

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
Dennis,
A few things--
1) Did you program a run time on the switches, prior to turning on for the test? The Ztron looks at the Dip switch when you plug it in to get the total flight duration---you didn't mention that in your post.
2) You might just put everything back to default on the Ztron----set all DIP switches to "OFF" and press the PB switch on briefly. This is after you go into programming mode. Then take off the prop for safety (because the motor starts immediately when you plug in the power in default mode), and try a test. You still need to put a duration on the DIP switch before powering on.
3) I wasn't aware that you could set a LV cutoff on the ZTRON (I have CLT3, Rev1.0). On my CC Phoenix 35 ESC, I am using Auto Lipo detection and a soft cutoff. As I now think I recall, you are using the A123 cells? I don't have any experience with them, but a 6V cutoff seems a little low for a 3s type pack (2V/cell). I do recommend the soft cutoff where the ESC just starts to throttle down instead of instant cut which could be exciting in a vertical maneuver!

Finally I really recommending making a small test setup that you can use independent of the ESC and plane. If you are already an RC flyer, you probably have everything. But even if you don't, it would only cost less than $20 to get the components (a cheap RC servo and a cheap 4.8V receiver battery--or get a setup that lets you use 4AA Alkaline cells. Or I am sure you have RC friends with some old equipment who might be willing to give you a freebie! Here is a picture of mine. with the Ztron hooked up. It is a lot easier to setup the timer using this than with the entire plane! Once you see the timer is ok, then you can battle the ESC!

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 07:19:29 PM »
Problem solved, I went to the Ztron information on-line and found that the instruction sheet sent with my unit was missing the last two pages that have the timer diagram on it, long story short once I saw the orientation of the timer I realized I was plugging the ESC into the retract prongs. Once I got plugged into the correct prongs I reset the Ztron to defaults and plugged in, switch on and zoom-zoom-zoom.

Thanks to all for all the information now that the system is operational I can put in some of the suggested starting points and do some rpm tests. Hope to fly on the weekend.

Best,      Dennis

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:49:54 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Glad to hear you got it sorted out. I just posted my settings, they may give you some reference points? Good luck with your 1st test flights. :-)
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
Dennis,
You know, I almost put that question in. I have numerous times got the two connectors mixed up---especially since I am running JMP-2 and ZTRONs almost interchangeably. Also for the same reason  n~ I have issue with the push button on the ZTRON---on the JMP-2 it is used to start the whole timing cycle.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here