News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:07:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting into Electric Stunt with Question.  (Read 1471 times)

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Starting into Electric Stunt with Question.
« on: January 11, 2020, 09:35:54 AM »
Hi all

I have been flying ic control line planes since 1960 and now I am going to electric flight. I have an E-flight 25 and two 1.8 Turnigy 1800 mah 3 cell 11.1v Li-po Batteries. I intend to build a plane that was for a .25 engine. Now I need a timer to start and stop the motor. Where/how do I get your timer?

Also, I have a 60-AmpPro SB Brushless ESC (V2) with Switch-Mode BEC & Advanced Programming.
I bought these items used however they all work like new. My problem is getting a timer, I think. I am new to this electric stuff.

I need help to make it all work. I am resigning my AETOS airplane, which was published profile, but now I want to make it full fuselage.

I belong to an RC club WITH a control line circle and they want more control line folks.

Thanks for your help,

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Starting into Electric Stunt with Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 10:22:57 AM »
Ahh, Roger, when I saw this question I just saw the bit about the batteries and the motor, and reacted to that.  Sorry.

So, comments on what I saw:

Things don't match up.  You can probably put a plane into the air with that and it'll work, just not as well as it could, so if you want to, don't let me stop you!

The first thing you need to do is check the motor.  The eFlight Power 25 comes in two variations: one has a kv of 870 RPM/volt, the other is 1250 RPM/volt. 

Basically, if you're flying stunt, the batteries are about right for a 25 ounce plane, so an Akromaster or similar sized. And if you're running the 870 kv motor, it'll never turn very fast and you'll need a really high pitch prop.  With either motor, the motor and ESC will be way heavier than you need.

But the motor (with either kV) and the ESC are good for a 48-54 ounce plane if you marry them up to the right battery.  This is a bit smaller than the current crop of "pro" stunters, but smack in the middle of the range of profiles out there -- you just need to use a different battery pack.

So, you can either put together a little plane to match your batteries, with a super-heavy motor.  It won't stunt well, but it should still fly

Or you can get suitable batteries for your ESC/motor combination and put that combination on a typical 500 - 600 square inch stunter built appropriately light.  Unless you're on a super-tight budget this is what I'd recommend, because batteries are more or less a consumable anyway -- they're what you spend money on instead of fuel when you go electric.

As for the timer -- see my response on the original thread.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 04:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Tim

The motor is 870kv. Would a 9/6 prop be ok?
The ESC has 3 wires to the motor and two wires to the power and a plug the goes to channel 3 on the RC receiver.
NOW for the timer looking at the photo of the Touch-and-go, I would believe that those three wires, (the ones that would go to the RC receiver), go to the Ground/Power/Signal. I am thinking that the three wires brown/red/orange connect in that order to the timer as shown in the photo.

The airplane I am using has an area of 327 sq.in. My fox 25 pulls it very well on .012" lines.

Thanks for your help.
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:02:24 PM »
The motor is 870kv. Would a 9/6 prop be ok?

That's such an odd motor/battery/prop combination that I just don't know.  With three cells you'll be turning the prop at around 8000 RPM, and I'm not sure that a 6" pitch will be enough.  I'd go to the field with a 9/6, a 9/7, and a 9/8; start with the 9/6 and go up.

The ESC has 3 wires to the motor and two wires to the power and a plug the goes to channel 3 on the RC receiver.
NOW for the timer looking at the photo of the Touch-and-go, I would believe that those three wires, (the ones that would go to the RC receiver), go to the Ground/Power/Signal. I am thinking that the three wires brown/red/orange connect in that order to the timer as shown in the photo.

Yes.  Red to +5V, brown to ground, and orange to signal.

The airplane I am using has an area of 327 sq.in. My fox 25 pulls it very well on .012" lines.

Weigh it with the engine in, then add three ounces (basically, find the weight of the airplane with a full tank).  If that's no more than 25 ounces, you should be fine.  Even at 30 ounces the thing may fly, but it may not have enough battery for a full pattern before they poop out.

Do you have anyone local to you that flies electric?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 05:28:24 AM »
Tim,
I am in an RC club with a control line circle in Delaware. And Yes, there is one CL member who flies electric. He is learning the beginner pattern.

Thanks,
Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 11:36:00 AM »
Roger,
   That's pretty much a 4 cell motor and will easily pull a full sized stunt plane and swing up to a 13 inch prop. If you are going to be flying a smaller plane I would recomend a power ten sized motor for 375 square inches and an 8 or 9 inch prop.Electric motors are way overrated power wise . We are pulling ARF nobler sized airplanes up to about 45oz(with battery)  on eflite power tens or equivalents. We are using 4s 2200-4s 2800's . This set up also works great on ringmaster or flite streak sized planes. I'm not familiar with your speed control but it would probably work well with a KR governor timer for best performance. If you went to a castle speed control  the Hubin FM9 timer would be the simplest if pared with a Talon 35 or similar. You can also look through the list your set up on here and see what people with similar planes are using. . You will notice patterns very fast. Hope this helps a little. Copy whats known to work to start then tweak as necessary. Others here can also give good advice. This is a motor that wont break the bank and that we have sucessully used for those sized planes  https://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb18-rocket-3010-1190kv.html
  Will
AMA 98010

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 12:25:51 PM »
Roger,
   That's pretty much a 4 cell motor and will easily pull a full sized stunt plane and swing up to a 13 inch prop. If you are going to be flying a smaller plane I would recomend a power ten sized motor for 375 square inches and an 8 or 9 inch prop.Electric motors are way overrated power wise . We are pulling ARF nobler sized airplanes up to about 45oz(with battery)  on eflite power tens or equivalents. We are using 4s 2200-4s 2800's . This set up also works great on ringmaster or flite streak sized planes. I'm not familiar with your speed control but it would probably work well with a KR governor timer for best performance. If you went to a castle speed control  the Hubin FM9 timer would be the simplest if pared with a Talon 35 or similar. You can also look through the list your set up on here and see what people with similar planes are using. . You will notice patterns very fast. Hope this helps a little. Copy whats known to work to start then tweak as necessary. Others here can also give good advice. This is a motor that wont break the bank and that we have sucessully used for those sized planes  https://www.hobbypartz.com/86mb18-rocket-3010-1190kv.html
  Will

Roger: this is what I meant when I said "things don't match up".

If it's in your budget you could just buy a power package for the plane from Brodak -- you'll get an Arrowind motor instead of eFlight, but it'll be otherwise similar.

This will be a bit big, but it's easy to tone down electrics: https://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/complete-power-packages/electric-power-package-for-planes-equal-to-25-size-engines.html.
AMA 64232

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 09:00:10 PM »
WOW, thanks, guys for all the good information, and yes I am on a budget. All the aforementioned motor, batteries, etc. I bought them used for under $50 from the RC guys in the club. (I looked on Amazon for the price of what the club sold me, and new they were $200.00 so what a deal I have). I have a Flight Streek I made back in 1976 and I will mount them on it to see what happens. I am sure life is going to get in the way this week, it always does when it comes to having fun with the hobby. However, I will post when I have them attached to the FS. And when the weather gets better here in Delaware I'll fly it.

Again thanks,

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 09:53:58 PM »
I have an E Ringmaster that is about the same size as a Flight Streak,  It is a 3 cell setup.  Look at my thread on this airplane.  Especially  the motor.  It has a KV of 1500 as needed for a 3 cell setup.  The rest of your stuff should work.  I would also invest in  KR timer.  It should work with your speed controller.

https://stunthanger.com/smf/gettin-all-amp'ed-up!/e-ringmaster-as-built-by-tom's-building-service/

https://innov8tivedesigns.com/parts/brushless-motors/c-2221-10  $33

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index.php   (go to Electric Flight Products  Part Number: KRPKG  $64)

Ringmaster setup:
Motor,   Cobra 2221/10 KV 1500
Battery,  Hyperion 3S 1600 70C
ESC,  Trunigy Plush 30 amp
Timer, KR.  Initial RPMs set to 9500
Weight ready to launch is 27 oz.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline jerry v

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2020, 07:57:11 PM »
Roger, if you want to use equipment as you acquired from your friends, you will need Brodak timer FM-Oc , or  Brodak/Hubin FM Hornet. E-Flite 25 motor will run on 3 cell lipo with bigger prop like APC 14x10. Flight time will be something like 2.5 - 3 minutes on 1800 mAh capacity battery.

Jerry
Variety is the spice of life.

Online Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2020, 09:56:10 AM »
Rodger,
Since you are just starting the most important thing we can tell you is to spend your money on a top of the line charger. This is the one thing that can get you in trouble you need a smart charger not one of the old NiCad types. This will prevent over charging which causes overheating and possible fire. I use a Thunder Power TP610C - ACDC. This is really, really important.

Best,   DennisT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here