News:

• May 22, 2024, 08:34:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Started on my first electric stunter today  (Read 677 times)

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Started on my first electric stunter today
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:01:34 PM »
Today I applied the 1/64th ply doublers to the fuselage of my RSM kit of the Electra. Got the stab, elevators, fin and rudder, flaps all carved and sanded to shape and first coats of dope on them.   Epoxied the ply doubler to the two part main spar. I am now committed to electric CLPA.
This is my first, so things are going to go slow.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:56:53 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Wynn Robins

• Admiral
Re: Started on my first electric stunter today
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 04:35:52 PM »
GO TY!!!!!!!!!    awesome to hear you are electrifying the electra....... how bout some pics as you build?
In the battle of airplane versus ground, the ground is yet to lose

Offline JohnPrator

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2011, 07:15:13 AM »
You're doomed, you are going to love electrics. Photo's baby-photos!!! #^
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, signed a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it. -- Author Unknown

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 06:32:41 PM »
I have taken a few photos, but discovered something. Shocking revelation!! Using a paper drawing and placing all the gear might look fine, but when trying it on the actual model, I find my equipment is too large. It is equal to a .46, so now I am going to purchase a smaller unit that will fit. Dam&&^.   I see in Brodaks catalog #17 a full system that is equivalent to .29-.40 engines and should fit better. H^^ Two photos in next post.

WHOA! baby!  I am really surprised the RSM turnkey would not fit, all the pieces are pretty "normal" - where is the problem.... batt pack?  If that I will suggest "pocketing" the LE like you would of you used a too long fuel tank.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Andrew Borgogna

• Andy
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:21:04 AM »
Welcome to the clan Ty.  It took me a couple of tries but when success comes it is really great.  There are some people on this forum that can really help, Dennis, Dean, Igor and many more.  They have a wealth of knowledge gained from many projects.  I have asked and received help from these people and it made a big difference.  If I understand, you have the Hacker turn key system that Eric offers at RSM, that's the same package I am putting my Continental.  It's a very good package and worth the effort to make it work.  Please keep us updated on how your project goes.
Andy
Andrew B. Borgogna

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:53:31 AM »
Not to worry Ty.  I think you ought to be able to fly with an 11" or 12" prop and you should be able to use a smaller & shorter battery pack.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 07:44:49 PM »
I'm not sure just how tight this system will go. It needs air flow and then the wires need to reach each unit.  The battery fits, but all the wires are appearing to be bent very sharp and this is a no no.
I may stick this unit on a larger plane.  But have no fear, I AM SOLD ON ELECTRIC POWER FOR CLPA. I shall persevere. H^^

Sharp bent wires don't matter. Electrons, unlike fuel, flow anyway.....as long as things are not about to be cut on a sharp edge. In fact a tight fit can be a good thing - keeps wires from flopping around and breaking.  You do need some air flow but not as much as you might think.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here