News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:38:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Start up spin with the Climb&Dive timer??  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
Start up spin with the Climb&Dive timer??
« on: December 06, 2023, 05:09:18 PM »
I’m using the Castle IceLite ESC with the Climb & Dive.
Anyone know what setting to adjust on the ESC to get the start up spin when I press the start button?

Thanks
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Randy Ling

• 24 supporter
  • New Pilot
Re: Start up spin with the Climb&Dive timer??
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2023, 09:34:30 AM »
you need to turn off the governor. the easiest way to do this is change the castle esc to airplane mode.

Randy L

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2023, 10:40:21 AM »
Randy,
If you put the Castle Creation ESC to airplane mode rather than control line mode does the brake feature still work?

Best,    DennisT

Online Brent Williams

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Fancher Handles - Presented by Brent Williams
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2023, 02:43:30 PM »
you need to turn off the governor. the easiest way to do this is change the castle esc to airplane mode.

Randy L

Thanks Randy, I was curious about this also.  I have quite a stockpile of Castle ESC's, so this is helpful info.
Laser-cut, "Ted Fancher Precision-Pro" Hard Point Handle Kits are available again.  PM for info.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/brent-williams'-fancher-handles-and-cl-parts/ted-fancher's-precision-pro-handle-kit-by-brent-williams-information/

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2023, 07:27:18 PM »
Randy,
If you put the Castle Creation ESC to airplane mode rather than control line mode does the brake feature still work?

Best,    DennisT
Dennis,
The brake seems to work the same on mine even in regular airplane mode.
Regards,
John
John Paris

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2023, 07:50:25 PM »
Thanks guys. Good to know.
I’ll try that tomorrow.
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
Re: Climb&Dive timer not initializing when I plug in a battery.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2024, 07:40:56 AM »
Guys,

I think I may have fried my timer. I soldered it as shown however my last two pin next two the touch pin had a little excess solder that I was able to remove but I may have applied two much heat and done something to the chip that is adjacent.

When I connect the battery on my castle 50 I get the first musical beeps but I dont get the last set of beeps when it recognizes the timer or receiver in RC use.

Is there anything I am not doing that makes it recognize the timer, or did I most likely fry something?

Thanks, should not have tried soldering after two much coffee, I was a little shaky and I may have paid the price 

Tim
Tim Stagg

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2024, 11:23:48 AM »
Guys,

I think I may have fried my timer. I soldered it as shown however my last two pin next two the touch pin had a little excess solder that I was able to remove but I may have applied two much heat and done something to the chip that is adjacent.

When I connect the battery on my castle 50 I get the first musical beeps but I dont get the last set of beeps when it recognizes the timer or receiver in RC use.

Is there anything I am not doing that makes it recognize the timer, or did I most likely fry something?

Thanks, should not have tried soldering after two much coffee, I was a little shaky and I may have paid the price 

Tim
Tim, I can't speak for the Climb and Dive but I "fried" a Hubin FM-9 nearly the same way.  Same tip off.  My Castle didn't sing to me anymore.

Ken

The upside was that I had a timer to use in building that I didn't have to worry about.
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline CircuitFlyer

• Commander
    • www.circuitflyer.com
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2024, 06:52:21 PM »
Tim,

It sounds like the throttle PWM signal is not connected to the ESC for some reason. 

Is the timer LED illuminating steady green when you power it up?  BTW, the timer doesn't always have to be powered up fully connected in the airplane.  You can power it using the USB cable on your computer.  It will still operate as normal and you can enter the bluetooth mode and program the settings.  You can even initialize a normal start sequence - it will just shutdown and enter the fault mode when it cannot detect any motor RPM.

Send me a PM with photos of the front and back and I take a look to see I can see anything that stands out.

As a last resort, you might have to send it back to me and I'll get it fixed up for you.

Paul
Paul Emmerson
Spinning electrons in circles in Mississauga, Ontario, Canada DIY Control Line Timers - www.circuitflyer.com

Offline Tim Stagg

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2024, 01:59:00 PM »
Paul and everyone, I was able to fix the timer and everything is now working.

Turns out after a second look last night...after I calmed down from being mad at myself, I noticed a small drop of solder that was still touching the pin and the side of the chip. I was able to heat and remove that drop, I cleaned the soldering surfaces really well with alcohol and then it worked just fine.

Thanks everyone for the PM's and texts to help me out, I cant wait to mount and try it out.
Tim Stagg

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here