News:

• April 19, 2024, 09:23:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Something unusual, to me anyway.  (Read 808 times)

Offline Perry Rose

• Go vote, it's so easy dead people do it all the time.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Something unusual, to me anyway.
« on: September 06, 2019, 08:58:58 AM »
I've been flying an electric plane and followed by an i. c. plane which gives the electric time to cool before the next flight. After each flight I wipe the lines on both planes. The electric's lines are much more dirty than the i. c.'s lines. Neither lines are dragged over the ground at any time and both are flown on the same grass circle. Why would the electric lines be the dirtiest after every flight?  I'm thinking some electric charge is somehow in the lines attracting dirt. I'm going to try static wicks placed someplace. It's not dry in South Louisiana.
I may be wrong but I doubt it.
I wouldn't take her to a dog fight even if she had a chance to win.
The worst part of growing old is remembering when you were young.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Something unusual, to me anyway.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:09:48 AM »
Atomized fuel hanging in the air when you fly 'lectric?  I dunno!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 11:37:15 AM »
I wrapped the handle grip with copper wire and connected an end to each line thereby making a path from the line to ground except my shoe soles are rubber or something. Maybe a strip of aluminum foil at the leadout clips. I'll try only electrics next to test the atomized fuel theory.

Offline William DeMauro

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 01:49:01 PM »
I've been flying an electric plane and followed by an i. c. plane which gives the electric time to cool before the next flight. After each flight I wipe the lines on both planes. The electric's lines are much more dirty than the i. c.'s lines. Neither lines are dragged over the ground at any time and both are flown on the same grass circle. Why would the electric lines be the dirtiest after every flight?  I'm thinking some electric charge is somehow in the lines attracting dirt. I'm going to try static wicks placed someplace. It's not dry in South Louisiana.

Maybe its just the type of line.(ukraine vs stainless) (015 vs 018) I actually don't know. Maybe since there is less vibration on the electric more airborne dirt/dust is likely to stick and not get shook off?Just some guesses.
  Is your electric actually running that hot that it needs time to cool? We run back to back to back here pretty often without problems.
AMA 98010

Offline David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 03:49:32 PM »
Strange because I've found my lines stay much cleaner since I switched to flying electric only. 
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Perry Rose

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 05:05:26 AM »
It happens after every flight. The copper wire ground didn't help. I'm using braided stainless lines. .018 and .015 diameter depending on the plane.

Offline Mike Alimov

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 08:41:28 AM »
I agree with Will, most likely cause is lack of vibration through the lines. 2- strokes send vibrations in every direction, and it tends to shake the dirt off. In any case, it is good practice to wipe the lines as you head from the airplane to the handle, no matter what you fly.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here