News:

• April 19, 2024, 11:11:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Soldering 10 gauge wire to deans plug - method?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Soldering 10 gauge wire to deans plug - method?
« on: April 24, 2022, 10:10:28 AM »
I got a couple HobbyStar 5S - 1600mah 120C packs that I need to change the plugs to Deans to match my ESC. I tried soldering yesterday and found the 10 gauge to need a lot more heat than the smaller 12 gauge on the 4S 25C packs I had been. I got these packs cause they weight a little less than the standard 1800 mah pack normally used for this size ship (Ringmaster) and it fits in the nose tank area which also helps the balance.

I got one wire on after trying three different soldering irons - 40 Weller Iron, Weller 140W Gun, 150W iron. The 150W iron worked the best but because the tip is rather large makes it more difficult to get a good contact with the plug lead. Has anyone soldered this weight lead and what solder, iron, method did you use?

Thanks,   DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Soldering 10 gauge wire to deans plug - method?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2022, 10:32:08 AM »
I fill the wire with solder first (takes allot) then tin the connector. When you bring them together it takes less heat than trying to do it all at once.

Motorman 8)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 03:40:14 PM »
Did some internet search and found out I was a little lazy on keeping the gun tip clean. Once I got it cleaned off and tinned SUCCESS!!

MM, that tin both pieces tip worked well, thanks.

Best,   DennisT

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
Glad you got it. On my gun, sometimes the nuts that hold the tip get loose and that robs heat too.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 05:07:39 PM »
Did some internet search and found out I was a little lazy on keeping the gun tip clean. Once I got it cleaned off and tinned SUCCESS!!

MM, that tin both pieces tip worked well, thanks.

Best,   DennisT

Glad you got it. On my gun, sometimes the nuts that hold the tip get loose and that robs heat too.

The key to soldering anything is to make sure all the bits are clean.  Go ahead -- be obsessive about it.  Soldering is one of those areas (like painting) where obsessive cleanliness really does help.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here